Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It finally happened (Sensitive tummies beware)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It finally happened (Sensitive tummies beware)

Today one of my dogs displayed a trick so impressive, I felt it deserved its own thread.

When I called the dogs in for supper, Tag (coonhound mix) tried to bust through the door like always, but I didn't see Ziggy (beagle). Sometimes she doesn't come right away, so I called for her a second time. No Ziggy. Getting worried that she might have somehow gotten loose, I went off the porch into the yard and saw why she wasn't coming. They'd caught something.

Today one of my dogs caught a rabbit.

Now, I say one of them, but I actually didn't see which one or if it was a combined effort. My assumption is that Ziggy caught it. She's already an accomplished bird catcher and caught a bird just yesterday. We've also watched her stalk birds, which only reiterates my assertion that she was a cat in another life. She's also much faster than Tag despite being about half his height. It's amazing to watch her run. I should also mention she picked this up without any training from Mr Jedi or myself.

So, I'm conflicted. While part of me is kinda proud I've got the makings of a good huntin' dog, I feel bad for the critters she catches. And I don't like cleaning up after her. I don't really consider myself a squeemish person, but I just couldn't dispose of the bunny eventhough it wasn't a mangled, bloody mess. Up until now, Ziggy would definitely chase the rabbits, but never actually caught one. This poor bunny must have zigged when it should have zagged.

I'm waiting to feed them dinner until either Mr Jedi or my neighbor can come dispose of the bunny. That way I won't have to let them out for a potty break for awhile. Mr Jedi has a meeting and won't be home until late. The dogs are going to stay inside with me until then because I really don't want them eating the rabbit. Tag's pretty ok with it because all he wants is someone to love on him. Ziggy, on the other hand, is not happy. Ever been glared at by a beagle? It's kinda funny. She's alternating between scratching at the back door, giving me dirty looks, whining, and looking pitiful. She thinks if she gets on my nerves enough, I'll toss her outside. Not this time, dog.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

hehe reminds me of when my ex-bf's cat managed to catch a rabbit, dragged it INSIDE the house to finish it off, and the damn thing got away from him. He chased it upstairs to the main floor bathroom (tiny room) and killed it in there. When my ex's mom came downstairs the next morning, she just started screaming. Tim ran downstairs and discovered blood from the floor to about chest height EVERYWHERE. Yeah... guess who ended cleaning that up LOL
    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

My cat is a very accomplished hunter...he even killed a weasel once. I wouldn't worry too much about the dogs catching an occasional bunny. They breed like...well...rabbits. Plus they tend to destroy gardens so your neighbors might actually appreciate it. Probably good that you don't let them eat it, though. My cat occasionally got sick after he caught and ate something (nothing serious, just upset stomach.)

Comment

Working...
      X