X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300 how I hate thee

Or rather, the fanboys.

Alright, I get it, 300 was a cool movie with some awesome action scenes, however, that does not make it reality. I rather like the movie infact, but that's because I'm smart enough to realise it's an adaptation of a graphic novel based on a fictional interpretation of real events. IT IS NOT A BLOODY DOCUMENTARY!!!

1. Spartans, along with ALL other Hoplites (except for the poor oes who wore no armour but most definately wore clothing), wore armor, head, torso and greaves, the only thing that differs is the torso armor, either linothorax or plate armour. They did not strut around naked, or nearly naked. You only ever see naked hoplites on wall carvings or Vases, this was just an ancient method of making their men seem more hardcore, it didn't actually happen.
    2. The spartans, like all hoplites, stayed in formation, they didn't run out into single combat eveyr chance they got, why? The Hoplon (Shield) These, things, were, fucking, HUGE! I'm talking at least 3 feet in radius, maybe even 4 feet, and they did cover you from your knee, to your neck, the only problem was...they only covered your left half, leaving your spear arm side completely exposed, You stay in formation, you live, you break formation, you die, that's pretty much the essentials with a Greek Phalanx formation. You cover the guy to the left of you with half your shield, the guy to the right does the same to you.

3. Speaking of shields, being 3 feet at least in diameter, wooden shields covered with bronze (unlike in 300 where they were solid bronze) they weren't the most light or easily wielded things out there, so there were only 3 things you could really do with them, 1. Hold them in front of you to protect you. 2. Push forward with them, either slowly or in a quick shield bash. 3. Cock your arm back and then throw it forward, almost like throwing a discus (Which incedentally makes the shield absoloutely lethal, if it hits you in the chest when someone does that, it will probably kill you, if it hits above the chest, it absoloutely will kill you) The only problem is, when you do that, you leave yourself ENTIRELY open, which is a silly thing to do, as, while you may be able to fend off a spear strike when in formation, if you're out solo, you're screwed, as the Doru, being 3 yards long, isn't really something designed to parry or even block (hence the big fricking shield you have!)

And for you fanboys about to go off on how awesome spartans were.. may I remind you, at the battle of Thermopylae, it wasn't just the Spartans, nor the handfull of Thebans. At the start of the battle there were something on the order of between 5,200 and 7,400 greeks in total, the Spartans being only 300 of those numbers, and at the end of the battle, there were between 2000 and 3000 Greeks holding the pass, not just the 300 Spartans.

Sorry about the longass rant folks, but damn I just had to get that off my chest after being bugged for a few hours by several 300 fanboys.
    I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

There are fanboys?
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Yes, sadly. I'll admit I'm a fan of it, but, I have the capability to seperate fact from fiction.

Comment

Hmm, I'd heard there were three hundred Spartans and seven hundred or so other Greeks, but the Spartans told the others to bugger off. I must check my Herodotus.

Rapscallion

Comment

Well, Most of the other greeks did bugger off and it's now theorised that the Spartans stayed behind as a rearguard, because of their honour code they had to allowing the other greeks to get away safely, but Thebans, Thespians and Helots (Slave workers) stayed. The Thespians simply refused to leave.

Comment

Since when does Hollywood actually care about historical accuracy?

You might as well add in there is no sign that there was ever a "mass grave" for imperfect babies, too.
            Quote Dalesys:
            ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

That said, having watched the interview with miller, the guy does know his stuff about Spartans and their way of life.

By the way, they actually did throw imperfect or deformed babies into a chasm, on Mount Taygetus, called the Apothetae, or Deposits.

A lot of Millers content is, actually, fairly on the spot, albeit a lot of it is stylised.

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                That said, having watched the interview with miller, the guy does know his stuff about Spartans and their way of life.

A lot of Millers content is, actually, fairly on the spot, albeit a lot of it is stylised.
                Which he fully admits that his original graphic novel was meant as entertainment, not a historically accurate portrayal. I have seen him say this in several interviews.

That said, the movie was a lot of fun to watch.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Fanboys? These aren't fanboys!

THESE....ARE.....MORONS!!!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Are you telling me I cant daydream about Gerard Butler in a speedo anymore?

Comment

You can daydream.

You can even believe your daydreams are reality.

Just as long as you don't believe your daydreams are historical fact.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

LMAO. No worries. I know better than to think all Spartans looked like my tasty hunk of daydreamalicious man meat...

Comment

Actually, they probably did, albeit not to the levels present in the movie. Being a growing up male Spartan (and thus being a candidate of citizenry through bloodlines, and being part of the Agoge) was a really tough life.

Think of it as being part of a more brutal Boot Camp from the age of 7 to, effectively, 30, though the level of brutality would probably slowly peter out the older you got. Then, your Graduation, at 18 (although you're still technically part of the Agoge until you are free to leave the military service at the age of 30, but always being on reserve until you were 60) you were sent out to kill, steal from and terrorise the resident Helots (Serf slaves)
                          Last edited by RayvenQ; 06-09-2010, 06:32 PM.

Comment

In Linkara's recent video reviewing The final part of Dark Knight returns he shows a clip of fellow reviewer benzaie taking an alternate interpretation of what 300 was about.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vid...s-again-part-3
                            watch 14:50 -15:28

Benzaie is hilarious.
                            Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                            Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Actually I kept expecting Dilios (David Wenham) to day "But I'm not a field man!" or "Actually, I'm just a friar".

Or, of course, there's always Audrey from Moulin Rouge...

(That's a sign of a good actor - to be able to play three completely different roles like these). He's a bit underrated.

Edit How the HELL can I forget about Faramir, too??
                              Last edited by draggar; 06-09-2010, 09:16 PM.
                              Quote Dalesys:
                              ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
                              X