This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I need to PM someone old.

... I know. Stupid question. But it is for homework. I'm suppose to talk to my own grandparents, but I have none that are alive. It's a cultural diverstiy homework assignment, and its only about six questions I have to ask. But I know no-one in their 70's-80s, which is the area the teacher wants them to be in.

... Is anyone here even close to at least 70 that I can ask these questions? None of them are of personal matter, simple stuff like how things have changed from when you were growing up to now in the world such as shopping, schools, people with disabities out more and different cultures and such.

... Any help would be great. Just send a PM if your embrassed, and I won't say a word.
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Is 50 close enough?
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

I asked that too. Her answer was no, because that would be my mom's age, and she wants it too be at least two generations compared to my age.
      Military Spouse Support.

Comment

You could try my Mom she's 68 and was a WWII baby.

Comment

Is there a senior center, nursing home, or assisted living facility nearby? I bet any of the folks in those types of places would be happy to chat with a younger person for a while. If you can, call a place like that and talk with a manager to ask who would be the best person for your types of questions and when an appropriate time to visit would be.

Comment

My grandmother is 92.

Comment

Anyway I can email them? Or send you the questions that you can email them, or something?
              Military Spouse Support.

Comment

Hey hun, PM me the questions. I've got my weekly phone call to gramma coming up, she's about 80. She doesn't mind answering questions, I've grilled her enough in the past for my projects. Plus, she likes helping out me and my friends.

I can call her tonight or tomorrow, depending on when the assignment is due. Let me know. I'll text you, too, just in case.

Comment

Go ahead and PM me, too. My Grandpa and Grandma are 78, and my other Grandma is 81.
                  My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Quoth flybye023 View Post
                    Go ahead and PM me, too. My Grandpa and Grandma are 78, and my other Grandma is 81.
                    Holy crap, my dad is 71 (or will be this year). My grandmother would be 92 if she were still alive.

(Plaid, I'd ask him for you but he's not home this week.)
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I can ask my 82 year old nanna-in-law for you if you'd like, or do they need to be American?
                      Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Going to visit my dad in law, he's 80 or 90 something. I can email them, if you like.

My own dad is in his seventies, and I will see him, too.

Comment

Plaid, I think you should take everyone up on the offer! Then you could have a lot of comparison to work with, especially Mishi! Think of a cross cultural comparison. I, for one, would be interested in seeing other people's answers to some of the questions. Just sayin'...

Comment

My Grandpa will be 80 in a few days, I can ask him the questions. He grew up near Duncan, Oklahoma during the Great Depression. His family were sharecroppers (sp?) and his dad owned a grocery store at one point.
                            My step-grandma is older than he is, but she won't reveal just how much. She grew up in North Carolina and is still going strong- she runs an alteration shop outside Cameron, NC.

Comment

Quoth Mishi View Post
                              I can ask my 82 year old nanna-in-law for you if you'd like, or do they need to be American?
                              I could ask my mother, she is 76 years old, Danish but she can read and write English and has an email address.
                              I'm only 54 myself and therefore too young .

Comment

Working...
                              X