Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been an animation fan for as long as I can remember, but I hadn't really caught on to anime - the only ones I've watched are Spirited Away and the Afro Samurai series (very violent, definitely not what the OP was requesting). This list gives me some more to look for!

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
    Avatar the Last Airbender was one I rather enjoyed.
    I did too, as you can see...

I can't wait for The Last Airbender movie!

Comment

EQ- I watched Chance Pop Session just because I could (on the Wii, through Netflix) and I thought it was truly awful. Just my opinion.

Kino's Journey and Mushishi are what I consider 'adult anime'; not graphic in any manner but thoughtful, multilayered and contemplative. Two really beautiful shows.

Also I am a huge Ghost in the Shell fan. The movies are violent and contain nudity, but the television series Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is toned down that way.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Ooh, Mushishi is really good. Hubby and I started watching it and got distracted by other things. We should return to it.

Actually, another anime that we started and never finished was Princess Tutu. It's a Magical Girl series about a ballerina who can transform into magical princess to battle the Monster of the Week. It's sorta like Sailor Moon, at least the first season is. We finished the first season and took a break and haven't started the second yet. From what my husband tells me (He's seen the whole series) it deviates from the Magical Girl Monster Of The Week pattern and gets a little darker in the second season.

Comment

I absolutely must recommend at the very least that you try the first Armitage the Third, brief nudity, a little violent at the end and randomly throughout the movie, but that's because it's all about a guy murdering robots... but it is an amazing story, and it has my outlook on life in a nutshell in one scene. Armitage 2 was widely panned. I enjoyed it, personally, but most don't.
          Azumanga Daioh is a nicely bizarre take on what would be comparable to middle school, it's very funny, and oh my gods SAD at the very end. Still love it to death.
          Boogiepop Phantom was fun. I only ever got to watch the first DVD, but it is a very interesting mind screw.
          I My Me Strawberry Eggs, perhaps the only series I've ever seen where you could watch the first disc and the last disc, and no others, and still understand the whole damn series. It's about a male teacher crossdressing to work in an all female's school, as an act of revenge when the headmistress tells him he's inferior.
          Read or Die (movie): X Men on crack! Seriously? She can control PAPER? And she's fighting historical figures?
          Read or Dream (Series): See above, only triple the insanity.
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

One Piece obviously does have violence in it (it's a pirate anime) but it depends on how violent. Little to no nudity aside from Nami dropping her towel in the bathhouse and then flashing a gigantic crab. (all off-camera)

Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu just has some brief slapstick violence and suggestive nudity. (The best scene hands down is when Sosuke is describing an attack on Kaname's best friend. The attack was done by a man wearing a pony mask....who gave Kaname's friend a ponytail. Kaname is still upset until she realises what Sosuke says, then beats him with a fan)
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

You've all said most of my likes already! I like my shounen-ai (the mild stuff only! I do have a boyfriend ). But I'm weird, so I have a couple small ones I like.

Outlaw Star: The classic 'adventure in space' anime, which feels very similar to Cowboy Bebop, but I haven't actually finished that one. The action is superb, and it brings back memories of when Toonami still existed.
              Black Lagoon: Violence, violence, and more kickassery. Haven't seen more than a couple of episodes, but epic if you like your blood and bullets. "Hallelujah Peanut Butter". Mercenaries fighting various mobs and big bad(ders).
              RahXephon: Mecha, with a fair share of mythological references. It takes at least two watches to get everything, and even then I had to look up a cheat sheet of someone explaining it. Still, gorgeous dub and music!
              Fafner in the Azure: Typical Mecha anime (boy with no previous skills pilots mecha with ease, fights Aliens), but with some twists and gorgeous music. Set on an artificial island which had hidden itself to prevent what's left of the Real World from finding it. Hints of boylove IF you actually look for it. The Prequel, Right of Left is heart-wrenching but beautiful.
              Excel Saga: Mocks anime and all their genres, very spazzy, random and whatnot. Haven't finished it, but it's good so far and never sticks to one style!
              Kuroshitsuji: Victorian times, an abused heir to a deceased family which did dirty deeds for the queen, sells his soul for a butler who will do as he bids. Mystery, eye candy, and the supernatural. It's rather generic, but I like my mancandy. I prefer the manga myself.
              Kimi Ni Todoke: Like The Wallflower, except progress is actually made! The shy girl, always misunderstood as scary and the girl from The Ring when she tries to be nice, likes the boy who is vibrant and cheerful. Romance.

I'll post more when I remember them.
              My only regret is that I don't have a better word for "F@#k You".

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll definitely be looking into some of these. I've actually be wanting to see Ghost in the Shell, but I'm not quite sure where to start. Bleach may be making it onto the list as well.

For the record, it's not "no violence"; just not "insane bloodbath".

And if anyone knows a good place to find OVAs, I'd really appreciate it. YouTube, Kumby, and Google have all failed to find Tsubasa: Tokyo Revelations episode 4 subbed or dubbed in English. And it was just getting good. I'm also haveing trouble finding Darker than Black: Ryuusei no Gemini online.
                I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

The Bubble Gun Crisis series, Sorcerer Hunters, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Slayers, Rune Solider Louie, Ninja Scroll, Battle Angel, Ghost in the Shell. Gunsmith Cats. most of the stuff i like and own is a bit older.
                  They say crime doesn't pay. That must mean what I'm doing at work is illegal.

Comment

I've seen bits and pieces of Slayers. 'Tis pretty funny. I think Li'l Sis has it, though, so I wouldn't need to get that one from Netflix.

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post
                    Paprika - This is sort of a brain screw too, but not really in a horror sense. It's sort of a sci-fi "wtf is going on" through most of it. I loved the music to it, we ended up buying the sound track right after we watched it.
                    If you want a really good soundtrack, check out Tsubasa: Resevoir Chronicles. It has some of the best music I've ever heard. The vocals are amazing.
                    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                      I've seen bits and pieces of Slayers. 'Tis pretty funny. I think Li'l Sis has it, though, so I wouldn't need to get that one from Netflix.
                      Wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. There's actually (to the best of my knowledge) four series of Slayers.

Slayers
                      Slayers Next
                      Slayers Try
                      Slayers 4Ever

Not to mention the movies, which are completely different stories and apart from Lina, different characters too.
                      I AM the evil bastard!
                      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Moribito, Last Exile and Crest/Banner of Stars are all excellent shows. Moribito especially as its really outside the normal fare. Plus it has some of the best fight scenes, when they do occur. Last Exile also has a fantastic sound track. Crest/Banner of Stars, while good, can be a pretty slow/subtle show at times though and the animation hasn't aged well.

Witch Hunter Robin is a very underrated show, and worth a watch. Black Lagoon is awesome. Kimi Ni Todoke is adorable, and not much else.

Kuroshitsuji is good, but an acquired taste. It also left fields you here and there ( Stable bang >.> ). But yes, there is certainly a surplus of man candy to be found within if that is your thing.

Comment

Working...
                        X