This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knitting, Crocheting and Weaving

So as you all know i decided to learn how to knit as seen here.

This has lead since that post to 1 baby blanket, 1 Serving pad (testing alternating from knit to purl so i made a nice big square to up cookie sheets on so not to worry about melting anything on the counter or burning the counter), 1/2 of a cord bag/basket (oy the arm strain from this project), 1 rectangle of circles which as soon as i run to walmart and buy a white pillow case will become a sham and now!!!!!! ADULT BOOTIES!!!

Lol i got bored now i need to work decreasing and increasing.
    Last edited by Sliceanddice; 06-26-2010, 01:07 AM.

I love those booties! I should make some for myself.

A simple way to practice increasing & decreasing would be to make a dishcloth (or, if you make it big, a baby blanket). This makes a garter stitch (all knit) square--the first half makes a triangle and then you make another triangle. There are supposed to be little holes from the yarn overs. I didn't realize that at first and though I was doing them wrong!

Cast on 5 stitches.
    Row 1: Knit
    Row 2: K2, yo, knit to end
    Repeat row 2 until you like the size. My dishcloths end up around 50ish stitches at this point.

Row: K2, yo, k2tog twice, knit to end
    Repeat until you have 5 stitches left. Bind off.

Comment

*stares at the last bit of trailers post and understands 50% of it*
      I cant read knitting instructions lol

those booties are loom woven.

Comment

Sorry!!

K2=knit two stitches
        YO= yarn over
        k2tog= knit two together

I'm no good at explaining how to knit with words, so I can't help there.

So,

Cast on 5 stitches.
        Row 1: Knit all the stitches
        Row 2: Knit two stitches, yarn over, keep knitting until the end of the row.
        Keep doing row 2 until you like the size.

Row: Knit two stitches, yarn over, knit two stitches together, knit another two stitches together, knit to the end of the row.
        Keep doing this row until you have 5 stitches left. Bind off.

I've never tried weaving. Even the loom stuff looks complicated. I'll just sit here with my pointy sticks instead.

Comment

I used to crochet, in fact I have a beautiful lacy tablecloth that is is 30% done... but by the time I get the urge to crochet again, it takes me a week to get back into learning the language again. :sigh: Maybe in the next decade I'll get it done.
          Make a list of important things to do today.
          At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
          Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

I'm doing a crochet blanket in Granny squares for someone special as a moving in present (when he finally gets his new place). I do have photos but they are not uploaded yet.
            As soon as I start thinking
            That I'm sensible and sane
            The Random Hedgehog comes along
            And fiddles with my Brain
            (from card I got)

Comment

To expand even further on trailerparkmedic's explanations:

yarn over: Move the yarn to the front of your work if you're knitting then, without moving the yarn to the back, knit the next stitch. This should result in a loop of yarn around the needle as the yarn goes from the front to the back. (yarn forward, yfwd, to the rest of the world). Wrap the yarn around the needle, going up and over the needle, if you're purling (yarn round needle, yrn)

knit 2 together: insert the needle into the next two stitches together (as if they were only one stitch.) Proceed normally, dropping both stitches off together.

Comment

right now im making a fish in a really nice texturized pattern, i think my increasing is wrong.... but so far so good

Comment

I made the cutest crocheted doll for my cousin for her 13th birthday not too long ago. I should have gotten a picture of it. It was about 8 inches tall, had a blue dress, brown yarn hair that had been unraveled, and was holding a bunch of flowers (the tiny ones from the craft store).

I say had, because she put it on her bed when she got home despite me telling her to put it on her shelf (I included a stand), and her dog chewed it up. I'm still mad at that.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                    right now im making a fish in a really nice texturized pattern, i think my increasing is wrong.... but so far so good
                    ooooh are you doing the afghan fish? (the little ones you sew together to make a big blanket)? I've got a stack of those LOL every time I finish a project, I make a fish from the leftovers. My fish blanket will be a record of all my knitting projects.

You've got to get onto ravelry.com, girl! Find a local knitting circle, and what you do is watch the more experienced knitters, and get them to help you when you're stuck (That's what I do LOL)

I'm knitting the most beautiful cabled baby sweater right now, and my mom had to help me with one of the stitch instructions because I couldn't make heads or tails of it (and yet when she explained it, it was really obvious what it meant LOL). I'm also knitting a nice lacy open shawl out of the most gorgeous yarn (I've been on a yarn binge the last few days - been to three stores and spent about $120 - I think I'm about done buying yarn for the year, but I got a ton of great stuff at a clearance sale, paying less than half what it was worth).

Once the baby sweater is finished, I'm knitting a pair of slippers for my son's karate sensei, and once those are done, I'm doing another baby sweater LOL I have more yarn than I have room in my house *blush* I may be a tad obsessed.

My friend Dara is teaching me to crochet this summer (she'll be teaching a class at a yarn store in the fall, so she's practicing her teaching techniques on me).
                    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                      ooooh are you doing the afghan fish? (the little ones you sew together to make a big blanket)? I've got a stack of those LOL every time I finish a project, I make a fish from the leftovers. My fish blanket will be a record of all my knitting projects.

You've got to get onto ravelry.com, girl! Find a local knitting circle, and what you do is watch the more experienced knitters, and get them to help you when you're stuck (That's what I do LOL)

I'm knitting the most beautiful cabled baby sweater right now, and my mom had to help me with one of the stitch instructions because I couldn't make heads or tails of it (and yet when she explained it, it was really obvious what it meant LOL). I'm also knitting a nice lacy open shawl out of the most gorgeous yarn (I've been on a yarn binge the last few days - been to three stores and spent about $120 - I think I'm about done buying yarn for the year, but I got a ton of great stuff at a clearance sale, paying less than half what it was worth).

Once the baby sweater is finished, I'm knitting a pair of slippers for my son's karate sensei, and once those are done, I'm doing another baby sweater LOL I have more yarn than I have room in my house *blush* I may be a tad obsessed.

My friend Dara is teaching me to crochet this summer (she'll be teaching a class at a yarn store in the fall, so she's practicing her teaching techniques on me).
                      more like a big a fish that im making for my own enjoyment and will probabley use for a hot bad.
                      Right now i am working on a shimmery shawl as well as the fish and my backet and i need to make a match for the one baby bootie i made the other day

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                        i think my increasing is wrong.... but so far so good
                        It's not wrong, it's a design element!

Basically, you pretend you meant to do it the wrong way.

Comment

Working...
                        X