X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth NightWatch View Post
    Go you!!! That's frickin awesome.
    Thanks I still have a way to go, but this is pretty damn encouraging, I gotta say.
    Having a dog that desperately MUST WALK FOR AN HOUR A DAY definitely does help.
    I'm willing to hire him out for 5 bucks an hour
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

• Quoth iradney View Post
      Thanks I still have a way to go, but this is pretty damn encouraging, I gotta say.
      Having a dog that desperately MUST WALK FOR AN HOUR A DAY definitely does help.
      I'm willing to hire him out for 5 bucks an hour

I think they do that in Japan....they should rent doggies everywhere When my cousin get her puppy, I'm totally borrowing him to hike with. (I also said I'l teach her kid how to hike mountains when he' older...I can borrow and return both, ha!)

Congrats all around I am about 0.5 lbs away from my first goal, and 4.5 from "super goal" This weekend will be tough, but even if I can't hike, I'll get a good 3 miles in somewhere.

Funny thing is, I am losing weight faster and easier by just the hiking and healthy eating then I did at the gym. Nothing against gyms, I'll still go in the winter...

(side note, I've walked more than anyone in the walking club....more that 2x the next person....woot!)
      Last edited by Cat; 07-31-2009, 04:36 PM.
      "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
      "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

• Thirty-five minutes on the bike (first of a Sinbad triple bill DVD set), and 531 calories gone. Bum's got pretty much used to it now. Legs are wobbly immediately upon leaving the bike.

Recovery is fairly fast, mind.

Rapscallion

Comment

• Apparently today was my Wii fit goal....I didn't make it.....I went to a party last night and there was too much food and booze temptation.....but I only gained a little, no worries
          "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

• Nearly thirty-one minutes, 453 calories.

Bum hurts!

Rapscallion

Comment

• Weighed in. I gained 2 lbs back. Bleh.

Kinda figured, since I've been slacking on the whole exercising bit. Too farkin' hot to go outside for walking/biking. We're hitting triple digits, and with the humidity, being out longer than 10 minutes is murder.

I've also lost some of my motivation. Blerg. Working on it, really I am. I worked out for 30 minutes today, quick bit of cardio, then work on my core, followed by some stretching.

Raps has me wanting an exercise bike now. :P Mayhaps when I have money to afford one plus shipping. (No car, and no way in hell am I hauling one home on the bus!) I might invest in one. Texas heat and humidity. Blarg.

Of course, bonus, if I rearrange my school schedule, I'll have 2 hours between classes and I can use the fitness center for free on campus during the semester...

Done babbling now, promise.

Oh, and rads, go you!!

Comment

• Try looking on your local Freecycle group (freecycle.org), especially about February as people realise that January resolutions hurt. Ebay is also good for cheap offers, and they may be surprisingly close.

Rapscallion

Comment

• Yis, but that still doesn't solve the dilemma of getting it to me, with no car. Or does freecycle offer delivery?? (Never used it before. contemplated Craigslist, though)

Comment

• Freecycle and Ebay - can depend. Freecyclers (at least the ones on my list) occasionally do say if it's just a short distance they can help. Doesn't hurt to ask. The Freecycle attitude is that if it's going into landfill, they'll try to give it away first, so that attitude helps.

Rapscallion

Comment

• I just stumbled across the Eat This, Not That website...I've seen the books but there's so much more here.

I saw an article elsewhere on the worst drinks in America and it linked from there. Makes me vow anew to stick to water and real juice and tea. On a related note, I've been cutting down on the amount of sugar I put in my tea in the morning at work. I used to put 5-6 spoonfuls in the mug; now I'm down to 3-4 (non-heaping) spoonfuls. I'll cut it down a bit more when I get used to it.
                      Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 08-01-2009, 10:07 PM.
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

• I'd seriously consider cutting out sugar and milk in your tea completely. I did.

I mean this in a way to say try a cup of tea (Assam is good for this) without either. It's bitter to start with, but you get used to it fairly quickly - a week maximum. All the yummy caffeine, none of the calories.

Rapscallion

Comment

• Quoth I8DaCookie View Post
                          I do have a question though. I want to use the weight machines and was hopeing someone could direct me to a website or a book that helps me decide what exercises in particular I should do on which machines. I want to cover each of the muscle groups.

Thanks!
                          Not sure about websites right now but the gym at work has all the machines and there are charts on the walls showing what exercises you can do for different muscles, including machines, free weights, and stretches. So check to see if the fitness center has something like that.

You might also be able to make an appointment with a trainer at a regular gym who can help you develop a routine that you can then do on your own.

edit: Self.com has tons of slide shows for various routines, both with and without machines.

Comment

• Went for a walk this morning. Humidity about killed me, so I only managed 30 minutes, 240 calories burned. Buh.

Neeeeeed to find new options for working out indoors, and need to actually do them...

Comment

• No hiking this weekend Went to the bf's.....some of his relatives were up from out of the country (side note....watching people translate and forgetting which language they should speak is really funny) and today is icky out. Will make up for it this weekend

Comment

• Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                                I'd seriously consider cutting out sugar and milk in your tea completely. I did.

I mean this in a way to say try a cup of tea (Assam is good for this) without either. It's bitter to start with, but you get used to it fairly quickly - a week maximum. All the yummy caffeine, none of the calories.

Rapscallion
                                Yeah, well, baby steps...

I don't usually use milk in tea; I like flavored teas (usually black, though there is an orange-flavored green tea that I like) and some of them I use milk in. Vanilla tea works well with milk. Usually I just use sugar. I'm a self-confessed sugar addict, though, so...
                                Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 08-02-2009, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X