Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have backup for when you're at home? You're prolly going to need someone to help you go potty for a couple of days, and cook/feed you.

Can you cook ahead and put stuff in the freezer, easy to warm up and eat?
    Can you make sure you eat stuff that's good for you (calcium, protein, iron, that kind of stuff) ?
    Can you change your sheets/get organized in the room/get supplies to keep you occupied while you're grounded?
    I think you'll be offa your feet for at least a week maybe 2. IDK. But I'd look into books, movies and stuff to keep you busy while your hip heals.

And you should get the doc to write "Doctor Smith was here" on your hip
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
      Try to keep to a healthy diet. Give your body some resources to work with. Some comfort food is fine, but lots of protein and calcium! And zinc and Vitamin C and Magnesium.
      May I also suggest vitamin D3 along with the calcium? I'm not a doctor but from what I understand one of its benefits is that it helps with calcium absorption. Personally I find it helps me a little with energy too amongst other things

More good luck for next week, be sending good thoughts your way
      Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is all.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
          Pain meds is my hardest to deal with, as I wait until I'm in overwhelming pain before I take any, so I'll have to work on that.
          My mom found that difficult to adjust to after she had surgery for her sciatica. It was entirely different pain, it meant something entirely different. Just remind yourself of that.

Quoth Cazzi View Post
          May I also suggest vitamin D3 along with the calcium? I'm not a doctor but from what I understand one of its benefits is that it helps with calcium absorption. Personally I find it helps me a little with energy too amongst other things

More good luck for next week, be sending good thoughts your way
          Magnesium is good too.

Comment

I hope the surgery goes well and I wish you luck getting through it.

Comment

Quoth Cazzi View Post
              May I also suggest vitamin D3 along with the calcium? I'm not a doctor but from what I understand one of its benefits is that it helps with calcium absorption.
              Quoth Magpie View Post
              Magnesium is good too.
              I take calcium pills and magnesium pills. Make sure you take them seperately because they cancel each other out. I take my magnesium pill in the morning (otherwise my leg pain is EXCRUCIATING) and my calcium pill at night.
              I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                I take calcium pills and magnesium pills. Make sure you take them seperately because they cancel each other out. I take my magnesium pill in the morning (otherwise my leg pain is EXCRUCIATING) and my calcium pill at night.
                Wait, what? Like calcium and iron? Here I'd been told the opposite. And this, boys and girls, is excellent evidence of the fact that the "take X with Y" is still largely a mystery.

Comment

Something about the magnesium leeches all the calcium before your body can absorb it. Or something.
                  I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
                    Do you have backup for when you're at home? You're prolly going to need someone to help you go potty for a couple of days, and cook/feed you.

Can you cook ahead and put stuff in the freezer, easy to warm up and eat?
                    Can you make sure you eat stuff that's good for you (calcium, protein, iron, that kind of stuff) ?
                    Can you change your sheets/get organized in the room/get supplies to keep you occupied while you're grounded?
                    I think you'll be offa your feet for at least a week maybe 2. IDK. But I'd look into books, movies and stuff to keep you busy while your hip heals.

And you should get the doc to write "Doctor Smith was here" on your hip
                    First off, a huge thanks again for everyone. I have a bunch of relatives who will come over randomly to help me out every few hours, to make sure I'm feed, have pills within reach, etc. My friend got me a new chair that's leveled at the point it needs to be, and a helper for the bathroom.

As for being off my feet? Not so much. For a hip replacement, they don't want you laying down to much. They want you moving it, making sure it works, and no blood clots form etc etc etc. But I do have help in many ways.

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                    Something about the magnesium leeches all the calcium before your body can absorb it. Or something.
                    Magnesium's food, or energy sorce, is calcium. Using it together would likely make the magnesium work better, but you wouldn't get the calcium.

Anyway, update for those that want to know about my school. I talked to my teachers, and since they all knew, since I started school about my hip, it wasn't a shock to them. One class I can do completely at home, and just email it, (computer applications). Another teacher is going to give it to a classmate who's agreed to scan for me and send it to me, though he says not to worry too much as I'd likely get an A. The last class is the trickest, but it should be doable, as he'll give it to the same student to scan and send. But I am required to take the exams some point. They are all giving me an extra week, or a week past the next term starting to make it up. Seems being a good student, and respectful to the staff paid off, as I'm sure if I was a jackass and rude, and didn't do work, they'd just shrug and go oh well.

Whew. Ok. That was the update. I'll give a fairwill before I go.
                    Military Spouse Support.
                    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Don't forget water!! You could always pee in a urinal thingy, they have those that are... uh, good for that and are not basins. You have an anatomical advantage, even though they do make those vaguely cylinder ones for teh laydies too. However, the Doctors ^tm want you to move around, so it's probably for the best you just get up to go anyway.
                      EDIT: omg so awesome! I hope that your pain is gone after this!
                      "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                      "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Ok Plaid is probably getting into the operating room as of right now and getting ready to get this done. Good luck Plaidy I'm sure it will turn out good for you!
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Working...
                        X