• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
    Apple Dumpling Recipe

Enjoy!!
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

*forgets low fat diet*

I used to make nice pie crust but like a lot of recipes i haven't made it recently.
    Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

YES WOMAN.

Now go shop. We need stories, dammit!

Comment

I have a good scone recipe that I've added apples to before. Here's the apple version:

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
        2 tablespoons sugar
        1 teaspoon cinnamon
        3/4 teaspoon baking powder
        1/4 teaspoon baking soda
        1/8 teaspoon salt
        1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, cold
        1/4 cup buttermilk, cold
        1/2 apple, peeled if you like, and finely diced

Place the flour, sugar, cinnamon (can also use other spices like nutmeg or cloves if you like them), powder, soda, and salt in a food processor. Pulse a couple of times, until blended. Add the butter and pulse 5 to 10 times, just until the butter starts the break down. Don't overmix. It's okay if some of the butter is still in fairly big chunks. Add the buttermilk and pulse another 5 to 10 times until a soft, slightly wet dough forms. Again, don't overmix.

Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Add the diced apples and knead briefly, adding a bit of flour if needed so it's not sticky, just until the dough comes together and the apple is incorporated. Form into a disk and cut into 6 or 8 wedges (depending on how many scones you want.) Brush with a dab of cream or a beaten egg white and sprinkle with sugar (preferably coarse sugar if you have it, but regular sugar will do too.) Bake at 425 degrees F for 12-15 minutes, until the bottoms and edges of scones are browned.

Drizzle with a vanilla glaze, if you like:

1 tablespoon butter, melted
        1 teaspoon vanilla extract
        2-3 tablespoons cream, half and half, or milk
        1/4 - 1/2 cup powdered sugar

Mix the melted butter and vanilla extract together. I never measure when I make this frosting/glaze so I don't know exactly how much cream or powdered sugar I use, sorry. I just alternate adding cream/milk and powdered sugar until I get to a consistency I like (thicker = frosting, thinner = glaze.) Drizzle or spread over cooled scones.

Comment

Quoth TelephoneAngel View Post
          Thanks.These are the large green slightly sour ones so you couldn't eat them raw.
          Wait...so you don't eat those raw?

I must be one strange duckling. I love eating them raw!
          "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

Quoth TelephoneAngel View Post
            Applecrisp is what we call apple crumble then! Yay I learn another American word!
            Wait, that's why I've never been able to figure out the difference between a crisp and a crumble?

Comment

Cut the apples into slices, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon, nuke until cooked.

Comment

http://www.bakerella.com/
                She just added a recipe for Easy Apple Cake.

Comment

Quoth McGoddess09 View Post
                  Wait...so you don't eat those raw?

I must be one strange duckling. I love eating them raw!
                  Oh, good, so I'm not the only one. Those used to be my favorite, now my favorite kind of apple is half red, half green. I don't care what kind, just as long as it's crisp.

My local co-op has some fantastic Honeycrisps right now.
                  The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                    My local co-op has some fantastic Honeycrisps right now.
                    LOVE. <3

When we went to the grocery store last weekend, I saw Honeycrisps and just about had a major spazz attack; my husband actually asked me if I was going to be okay. I've never seen them down here (they're very common in Wisconsin, where I'm from) and I was very excited! They're my favorite kind of eating apple.

Comment

I just finished the peck of Honeycrisps I brought back from NH a couple weeks ago. When I go back in a couple weeks, I'll get a peck of Macs and a peck of Macouns. YUM!

Now what I need is a local orchard that sells unpasteurized cider. I just can't drink the pasteurized stuff.

Comment

I can get ginger gold at the market. Last time we were there, I made my in-laws try some of the slices they had out. I got to split a half bushel after that .

Comment

I'm not sure I've had that kind. What's the flavour like?

Comment

I'm not a huge apple fan but apple pie made with cinnamon imperials (aka Redhots) sounds good. I've never made it, but will try it.
                            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Ginger gold is a fairly subtle flavour. They're not really tart, and they're definitely not sweet. They're just really good. Nice and crisp too. (They're a light green apple).

Comment

Cortlands. I wait all year for them. :drool:
                                I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Working...
                                X