This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go AWAY!

Continued from my "Even by my standards..." thread of a few months ago... NOW break out the can of creep repellent.

So I meet this guy for lunch. I figure we'll go to the mall food court, wander around and then go our separate ways. All in public places so I think he'd be normal. Not quite.

We meet in the lobby of a hotel. First strike: surprising me again with hands over the eyes from behind (now that I replay it in my head, he was pinning me to the chair--NOT COOL). Then says: "Close your eyes, I have a present for you." He's carrying a small bag, so I figure OK, it's a book or pen or something. The guy tries to French kiss me in the middle of a crowded lobby! (again, kinda pinning me to the chair so I can't pull away) He apparently takes my momentary total confusion as "yes, I want a relationship with you".

Cue more awkwardness and refusals on my part (I don't need to explain myself in detail; what about my "thanks for the compliments but no thanks" was unclear?). I'm almost ten years older than you...that's not "really cute" and you're NOT striking me as real mature right now. You've had three ex-girlfriends (I wonder why?).

I finally get him to back off and silly me, think lunch is going to be uneventful. Cue trying to make out with me on the train...GAH. I flee to one of the single seats in the car. Normal conversation due to the fact that there is now an aisle between us...well, normal conversation after an attempted psychoanalysis of why I have a single seat (I like not feeling like a sardine if I can help it, and you disturb me)

At Borders, after buying a DVD (and getting into SC territory), he says he has to use the restroom. Fine, I'll hang out in sci-fi. He puts both hands on my shoulders and leads me toward the restrooms, saying jokingly "I better make sure you don't get kidnapped". I've had friends who got away from controlling boyfriends and this is not "cute". It's possessive and frankly very disturbing. See that uniformed guard? Yes, he's staring at you. BACK OFF or I will make the rest of your day very bad. (I think I snarled at him; he correctly read that as "stop it")

T station going back into town: "Now make sure you keep up with communications, I don't want to put your picture on a milk carton". (I failed to return his incessant calls when I was on vacation cause...well, I was on vacation and to be honest he was calling a bit too often). He may have thought he was joking around, but...combined with everything else that went on, yellow/red flag. I pointedly move toward a crowd of people (that's another thing, during the entire afternoon he wouldn't let himself be more than a foot from me save for the restroom).

"Hey, can we make out until your stop?" NO. I must have been channeling my wolf at that point, because he backed down after only a glare. Unfortunately due to the layout of the seats and crowded train I wasn't able to extricate myself until I had to make a mad dash to disembark (usually I'm so careful to not get myself in that situation). "So we have a date on Valentines Day?" I never said anything that could be construed as an agreement. I have classes and hopefully also a job by then.

I now know the whole story of why he was banned from first the anime group, then a game night, then the organization as a whole (he claims he left, but I have my doubts).

I relayed this entire story to my mom, who had the same red flags that I did.

What could possibly lead someone to think that making out on the second face-to-face meeting is okay? I'm also considering talking to the group facilitator who banned him; yes, I did give him my number, but all I was expecting was someone to hang out with. Not being hit on.

*updates phone/email block list*
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 01-11-2011, 02:51 PM. Reason: added link to original thread so the weird is all in one place
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Eek. He just sounds like bad news all around. I'd keep something large and heavy on your person for a while. He may decide that your refusals were just you playing hard to get.
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Yeah, I plan to carry all my textbooks for awhile (or my D-cell maglite). He really does not get it; I was as clear as I could be without causing a major scene (I get that you have problems with nonverbal communication, but various forms of "no" is quite verbal).

We don't run in the same circles and I never venture to that shopping mall if I can help it (now I have another very good reason to not go down there), but he knows someone at the college, so... Usually I can suss out creeps like this, but they tend to try to act normal at first. This guy...eeeeesh. At least he showed his spots right away and I now know where he hangs out.

Luckily he does not know where I live.

Comment

Is pepperspray legal where you are? Less potentially harmful than a Maglite and will still have a possibility to get the idea through to him that you aren't enthusiastic.

Comment

I explored that possibility when I was working a night shift, I think it's permit-only...

ETA: It's illegal to mail, but legal to carry with a firearms ID card (and obviously I can't take it on planes). That only needs two forms of ID plus two bucks. I'll do that this week.
          Last edited by Dreamstalker; 01-11-2011, 08:13 PM.

Comment

While you're asking about the pepper spray, you might consider asking the cops about how to get a restraining order.

Also, if your personality will permit it (channel the wolf!), the next time he gets too familiar, go ahead and make a huge public scene. Worked for me once.

Comment

I agree w/ Morgan

restraining or protective order;
              and if you even end up in the same building as him - if he talks to you make a scene - scream as loud as you can - "NO I WILL NOT HAVE SEX WITH YOU FOR MONEY!" or something like that

obviously i'm not advocating going out of your way to cause him problems, nor should you "ruin" his life- just make sure he can't do anything to you
              I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Honestly, I would have let him get off at the mall, then stepped right back onto the train and left. How creepy. =(

Definitely make a public scene if he ever tries anything again, because these sorts of things often escalate.. couldn't hurt to ask the police what steps you'd have to take for a restraining order, just in case.

Comment

Okay. Stalker and possible rapist.
                  Stalker and PROBABLE rapist.
                  I'm not even joking.

Normally, I'd say "never speak to him in any capacity again." If you have NOT said "I do not wish to speak to you again. Do not approach me in any way again." That should be your only and last communication with him.

If you HAVE said that (and I mean SAID it clearly, not suggested it with your body language), and you see him or hear from him again, you need to start filing papers on him with the police. You can start a report without filing charges.

Do not fuck around with this.

Do not even speak to him to say "leave me alone." Say nothing to him whatsoever. Nothing. Pull out your cell and call the cops. Every time. No exceptions. If he doesn't get the hint after the first time, now you file charges for stalking and harrassment.

We are not dealing with someone who is living in reality here.

Comment

Oh, the wolf's hackles are WAY up at this point (that doesn't happen often, but when it does I know what to do).

Under state law, he is taking advantage of a disabled person. That itself is Bad. We have a disability lawyer on retainer and I intend to talk to him soonish. I'm logging any attempts this guy makes to contact me and definitely not replying. Restraining orders are difficult to get; it seems that there has to be an actual dating relationship first (although if we bring the disability into the picture that may not matter). I'll look into that further.
                    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 01-11-2011, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                      Restraining orders are difficult to get; it seems that there has to be an actual dating relationship first (although if we bring the disability into the picture that may not matter). I'll look into that further.
                      He apparently thought that was a date. Does that not count?

Comment

Good point; it might. The wording of the statute says only "dating relationship" so I'd have to check into that further (he did kiss me so that might be enough).

Comment

So if you aren't dating someone but they are stalking you, you can't get a restraining order on them? that doesn't make sense.
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

^Agreed. What, you can only stalk someone if you're dating them?!?

Creep meter just maxed out. That guy is....just...*shudders* I have no words.
                            "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                            "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                            Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Quoth Eisa View Post
                              ^Agreed. What, you can only stalk someone if you're dating them?!?

Creep meter just maxed out. That guy is....just...*shudders* I have no words.
                              I suspect this is one of those "the law is worded really oddly" things.

I'd talk to the police again, ask them what specific laws they're looking at, and why they're saying that. Get them to specify.

Comment

Working...
                              X