Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watching styles from the 80s come back: fluorescent colors, checkerboards, Ray Bans, big glasses, pegged pants, blousy tops. And yet they're...not quite right.
    "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

let's see:

- bakalit (sp) rotary phones actually still owned by the phone company before the goverment broke up AT&T and the Bells

- party lines (two or more people's lines on your line) on your on (what we now call) landline phone

- gas wars where the prices was 14 cents a gallon

- my GFs daughter was born the same year I graduated from high school

- speaking of HS, my 35th year reunion is NEXT year

- computers with 48K or 64K of RAM was the BOMB

- speaking of computers --- computers the size of a small warehouse had less power/storage than a current Iphone

- seeing the Batman series in the mid 60's. now considered very cheesey

- brand new Mustangs now cost north of $25K in 1965 they were $2500 LOADED

- cars with no seatbelts
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth PhiSigGirl1988 View Post
        Jester, you graduated high school the year I was born. How does that make you feel?
        Doesn't phase me at all. I know lots of people that were born that year, including the coworker I had the conversation described above with.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          I just found a site that lets you play Word Munchers and Number Munchers on your computer.

I got a score of over 20,000 on Number Munchers before deciding to call it quits. I do have to work tomorrow, ya know.

I used to LOOOOVE playing that and and all the other MECC games. Probably too much.

Not git off mah lawn.

*stumbles, falls, breaks hip

I've fallen and I can't get up.
          Don't hold out on us Irv, what's the site? I haven't played those games since my early teens.
          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
            My daughter will be 40 two weeks from this coming Saturday...
            She's only 3 years younger than me.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              My daughter will be 40 two weeks from this coming Saturday...
              I'll be 39 in July.
              I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

I'll be 39 for the sixth time in April...
                "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth BeenThereDoneThat View Post
                  I'll be 39 for the sixth time in April...
                  Bwahaha, I once made a birthday card for my Mom joking about this.

My artwork is not that great, but I used to draw occasional comic strips when the inspiration struck me, and this art is what I used for the birthday cards I would make.

For Mom's 45th birthday, I made a card showing a director-type (beret-wearing and long-stem cigarette-holder-using) guiding a big "45" decoration being moved onto a stage. He asks the woman in the f.g. (Mom) if she likes it. She says no.

So the director has the "45" taken away and replaced with a big "39." Which Mom -does- approve of.

Mom loved the card, and I'm sure she still has it saved somewhere.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I love Hey Dude! They have the first 2 seasons out and the 3rd one on the way. I at least can re-watch it and remember the times from my childhood from that.
                    "Oh, very good....Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'" Severus Snape

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                      For Mom's 45th birthday, I made a card showing a director-type (beret-wearing and long-stem cigarette-holder-using) guiding a big "45" decoration being moved onto a stage. He asks the woman in the f.g. (Mom) if she likes it. She says no.

So the director has the "45" taken away and replaced with a big "39." Which Mom -does- approve of.
                      Years ago, when I worked at the brewpub in Phoenix, I went out to dinner with my parents and my best friend Neets for Mom's birthday. Neets and I took my parents to the brewpub where we both worked, and in addition to a fantastic dinner, at my request, the chefs had made a special dessert for Mom that we knew she'd love that was not on the menu, nor even available to any other table. (I paid for the special ingredients.)

On the dessert, I had had the chefs write "Happy 29th [Mom's name]!" It was Mom's 60th.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                        let's see:

- bakalit (sp) rotary phones actually still owned by the phone company before the goverment broke up AT&T and the Bells

- party lines (two or more people's lines on your line) on your on (what we now call) landline phone

- gas wars where the prices was 14 cents a gallon

- speaking of computers --- computers the size of a small warehouse had less power/storage than a current Iphone

- cars with no seatbelts
                        Had to comment -

-on phones, getting my first phone on my own, and getting black because a colour cost extra (and there were two styles, basic & the "Princess" phones).

-I vaguely remember my parents talking about paying more to not have a party line

-I remember gas wars, my Dad loved to find one when we were traveling. I also remember as a teen, being out with friends, and stopping to get just enough gas to get us home, and feeling rather cheap asking for just a quarter's worth of gas (but it got us home). Oh, and driving across the deserts of Nevada on a trip (as an adult), forgetting to gas up in a big town, and feeling so ripped off when the little station in the middle of the dessert charged us 50¢ per gallon.

-computers, I remember punch cards. I even had to learn to read those by the punches when I was in college (computer degree)

-not only remember no seatbelts, but recall riding in the front seat between adults (remember bench seats?) and my dad automatically putting out his arm when he hit the breaks, to keep me from falling off the seat. In fact, I was once sitting in the front seat between my dad & my much older brother (he's 13 years older), and my dad had to hit the brakes rather suddenly, and both automatically stuck their arms out in front of me - and I was 16 at the time

Madness takes it's toll....
                        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Let's see...

knowing what a floppy is

My first computer had a 20mb hard drive and 4mb of ram, was custom built and cost the earth, and the tech didn't know HOW I would fill all of that space

Programming in Dbase and Rbase..

Knowing what a DOS prompt is

Remembering when we didn't have a TV, and the very first time I saw someone with cable..I was 15, and I thought they were rich. They had 12 channels!

I have records still, lol. No record player..

Woodstock is going to be 43 this year

Watching the original Mickey Mouse Club

Davy Jones...sigh.
                          Remember, stressed spelled backwards is desserts.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                            -computers, I remember punch cards. I even had to learn to read those by the punches when I was in college (computer degree)
                            AHHHH yes the Hollerithh (sp) punch codes. I still have a few IBM Job Cards laying around somewhere in pile of old stuff.

I cut my computer teeth on an IBM 029 Keypunch
                            029 Keypunch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched...d_card_formats

Remember TSO on an IBM mainframe?????
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Sharing_Option

I can still remember some IBM JCL.
                            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Oh Gosh.. I remember:

3 channels on the TV & later the advent of a 4th

A very early memory of walking to my aunt & uncles house with my parents so they could watch the 1966 England v Germany world cup match in COLOUR!

Watching the moon landing

Concord's test flights & then first flight

was around when punk rock first came into being

Actually being allowed to use a calculator at school, but just to check the answers we'd already worked out. That did myself and another girl good when we went onto out college course, we were the only 2 to finish a calculators banned math paper & got way more marks than those who were allowed to do all their workings out with a calculator at school

At college saw one of the early computerised bar/hotel/restaurant computerised cash registers that was absolutely massive... filled up the tutors desk top and then some!
                              Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

Quoth Cazzi View Post
                                At college saw one of the early computerised bar/hotel/restaurant computerised cash registers that was absolutely massive...
                                I don't know why this doesn't make me feel old, but it doesn't...but I remember working at my first restaurant job, in 1986. It didn't have computers, it just had a (non-computerized) cash register up front where people would pay their check. And all the tickets/checks were handwritten, so we had to all learn the same abbreviations/codes for different things, so that the servers would all write things the same way and the cooks would know what those things were. To this very day, 25 years later, I still use many of the same abbreviations and codes when writing down customer orders, even though I am the only one that ever sees those slips of paper, as they are merely shorthand for my own use until I punch the orders into the computer.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                                X