Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When selling MDA shamrocks at work, trying to explain MDA = Jerry's Kids = the people who take over your TV every Labor Day weekend, and getting blank looks in return.
    I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

When I got my first phone we had to change out the old style jack in my room (for rented phone company phones that were hardwired) to the newer style plug-in jack. I think the phone cost about $10...and the 9 key didn't work, which meant I couldn't call my grandmother on it.

My dad used to bring home punch cards and that green and white striped paper from the dot matrix printers from his office for us to draw on. The printer paper was especially great because it was plain white on the other side.

The Mom and Pop pizza place I worked at 20 years ago had an older cash register...it was electric, but didn't have many features. We even had to count back change on our own (oh, the horror!) - it wasnt calculated for us. Our food tickets were all handwritten too, we rang everything up just by the numbers on the tickets.
      "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Oh, those old punch cards! Years ago somebody gave me a bunch of them, and I had instructions on how to cut out pieces and tape them together to form a jack o'lantern. You could put a wired lightbulb inside (like from a light-up Christmas decoration) and the light would shine out through all the tiny punched holes.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Bi directional 2400 baud modems being fast.
          Pulse dialling a phone call manually
          ludo ergo sum

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
            I remember the Bandwagon. The Washington Redskins Bandwagon. *crickets*
            ...sigh.... I miss the Post. 40 year 'skins fan here. '90-91?

Quoth Seshat View Post
            Seeing 'retro 1970s' looks ... so very NOT what you grew up with.
            Quoth Draper Mel View Post
            Watching styles from the 80s come back....And yet they're...not quite right.
            Even sadder is when you see one of these 'retro' fads come back for a SECOND go 'round.

Quoth Seshat View Post
            Knowing what 'naugahyde' is.
            Plastic leather? iirc.

Quoth Bionic Hobbit View Post
            Watching the first Flintstones and Jetsons
            And Fred and Barney SMOKED!!!

Getting up to change channels.
            And how awesome it was to get cable - with the huge push button channel changer on the end of that thirty foot cord.

Gas at $0.39 an imperial gallon
            Handmade signs at gas pumps telling you the price would be TWICE what was displayed. Many of the pre-digital pumps literally did not have a dollar counter - just cents. So when gas finally went up over a buck, they changed the clicks to half-gallons and you paid 2x the "53 Cents per Gallon price." I'm sure no one was sucky over THAT!

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
            Don't hold out on us Irv, what's the site?
            You gotta lotta nerve askin' Irv for a url after THIS debacle!

And my favorite on the music scene (may have mentioned previously): hearing a song on the radio described as a "Golden Oldie" and realizing you heard it played for the first time on the bands debut tour.
            Last edited by sms001; 03-25-2012, 01:36 PM.

Comment

My 15-year college reunion invitation that just came in the mail yesterday.

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
              - Seeing the kids of people you went to high school with...starting high school.
              My cousin's kids, who I've babysat since the older one was not quite 2 months old (I was a junior in college when she was born), are in 8th and 10th grade right now. The younger will be 14 tomorrow. Both of them are taller than me (the older one has been taller than me since she was about 12; the younger one I realized was taller than me back around Thanksgiving, not having seen him in a few months at the time, and when I saw him last week at my aunt's funeral I discovered he is noticably taller than me even in heels ).

Quoth Kittish View Post
              It's a feeling becoming more and more common with me, especially since I really CAN remember what life was like before the internet, and indeed even before personal computers.
              Me too. I didn't have email until my sophomore year in college, and the only reason I set it up when I did (it was my campus email account) was because one of my professors was going on maternity leave mid-semester and required it.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                And Fred and Barney SMOKED!!!
                Wait, WHAT? Seriously? I've not only never seen that, I've never even HEARD of that! And I am hardly a youngster, having been born in 1970. When did this happen? When did they change it? And did they simply pull all the episodes where they did this?

Seriously, how has this former broadcasting major NEVER heard of this!?!??!?!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Jester, they may not have smoked on the show (can't remember) but they had commercials for Winston cigarettes featuring the Flintstones. Here's one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAExoSozc2c
                  "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

1. The fact that my oldest nephew had little to no knowledge about the second generation of pokemon and asked me what each and every pokemon was in a box that was dedicated to second generation pokemon.

2. I tend not to understand why people are into certain kinds of music and reminisce about the days where one sentence or worse a few words were not constantly repeated for five minutes and called a song.

3. Mentioning an older anime to some of my younger friends and having them stare at me like I've grown a third head as I attempt to explain the plot.

4. Hearing a three year old swearing like a sailor (Also makes me sad).

5. Playing with my youngest nephew and getting worn out faster then when I was younger.

6. Finding movies that I grew up with in the Classic's section.

7. Talking about older game stations with other people and have younger people look at me clueless.

8. Having VHS's and remembering the times before DVD's

9. When a litre of Pepsi was less then Two Dollars

10. Cell Phones and Remembering the times before caller id and call back.

Comment

Age 25 -- I felt just a little bit old, because at that age, I could not only remember when my parents were my age, but I could also remember when I was my son's age (3.)

Age 36, because it meant that I could sleep with someone half my age, and not break any laws.

Age 42, because people half my age were now able to come out to the bars legally. In fact, some of the people I hang out with are (barely) young enough to be my kids. One of the girls in our group has a son who regularly comes out with us. And I really felt old once I realized that my grandma on my mom's side was the same age when I was born. Not to mention that some of the people I went to school with have grandkids.

And now, I have an 18-year-old son, a legal adult.
                      Sometimes life is altered.
                      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                      Uneasy with confrontation.
                      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

-When 90's music is turning into classic rock.
                        -People born in 1994 can buy cigarettes.
                        -The original 151 Pokemon has become obsolete

Yes I am only 21, but I still feel old with those

I will sense in the future when The Florida Marlins is gonna be only in the memory of few. Come back black and teal

Comment

Quoth cashierbex View Post
                          I will sense in the future when The Florida Marlins is gonna be only in the memory of few. Come back black and teal
                          This shows you how out of the loop I've been on MLB stuff...I didn't even know until a few weeks ago that the former Florida Marlins are now the Miami Marlins! Guess someday I should look into the reason behind the name change...

Comment

-When 90's music is turning into classic rock.
                            -People born in 1994 can buy cigarettes.
                            -The original 151 Pokemon has become obsolete

Yes I am only 21, but I still feel old with those

It's something like 649 now, but I can assure you that they are still there
                            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Overheard at Jazzy's school:
                              "Hey! Did you know that Donkey Kong used to be a game in the olden days??"
                              "No way!?! Wow!" Thanks kids!

My uncle felt old for a little while when he realised that his eldest known bio-kid is a year younger than my youngest kid.

Oh, and the other kids trying to figure out what Bubbles is playing with. They'd never seen a Gameboy, and didn't know who Pikachu is.
                              Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Quoth YumeIshimaru View Post
                                1. The fact that my oldest nephew had little to no knowledge about the second generation of pokemon and asked me what each and every pokemon was in a box that was dedicated to second generation pokemon.

3. Mentioning an older anime to some of my younger friends and having them stare at me like I've grown a third head as I attempt to explain the plot.
                                The above are not necessarily an age thing, as I am 41 and really have no idea what you are talking about. I mean, I am aware of the genre of anime and that there was a game/tv show called Pokemon, but that is about as far as my knowledge of these things extend.

While they thankfully didn't change their name, I am still upset that the Diamondbacks changed their colors a few years ago, from the awesome black and purple uni's they had, to the ultra-common red that just about half of the major leagues uses. They went from unique to boring....LAME!

Quoth BeenThereDoneThat View Post
                                Guess someday I should look into the reason behind the name change...
                                I think it was for a couple reasons. One was because they moved into their new stadium that is actually in Miami, as opposed to where they were playing in Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Sun Life/Landshark/Dolphins/What Are We Calling It This Week Stadium in Fort Lauderdale.

The other would be branding, as they are clearly trying to appeal to the Miami crowd, as opposed to just South Florida in general. They went out of their way this offseason to acquire the best Latino players, and are clearly making a concerted effort to appeal to the Miami Latin community. Should be interesting to see if that idea works or not.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                                Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                                X