X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth kansasgal View Post
    Why did they deny you Mytical?
    My illnesses apparently do not keep me from working. Despite the fact that I need help standing quite often, can't take a bath without help (I take showers, because I can't get down to take a bath..and if I do getting back up is impossible), and have constant pain. *shrugs*

I have an appointment tomorrow with my doc..and I am going to see what he can do if anything. If he does not want to, I will have no choice but to ask for a different doctor.

Still working on the Disability. If I can get accepted to that, I know it will go a long way for an appeal/re apply for the medical card.
    Last edited by Mytical; 06-28-2012, 11:00 PM.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Ah, I think I know what Medicaid is doing. You must not be able to work AT ALL.

TL;DR
      http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/5111.01

(2) Aged, blind, and disabled persons who meet the following conditions:

(a) Receive federal aid under Title XVI of the “Social Security Act,” or are eligible for but are not receiving such aid, provided that the income from all other sources for individuals with independent living arrangements shall not exceed one hundred seventy-five dollars per month. The income standards hereby established shall be adjusted annually at the rate that is used by the United States department of health and human services to adjust the amounts payable under Title XVI.

(b) Do not receive aid under Title XVI, but meet any of the following criteria:

(i) Would be eligible to receive such aid, except that their income, other than that excluded from consideration as income under Title XVI, exceeds the maximum under division (A)(2)(a) of this section, and incurred expenses for medical care, as determined under federal regulations applicable to section 209(b) of the “Social Security Amendments of 1972,” 86 Stat. 1381, 42 U.S.C.A. 1396a(f), as amended, equal or exceed the amount by which their income exceeds the maximum under division (A)(2)(a) of this section;

(ii) Received aid for the aged, aid to the blind, or aid for the permanently and totally disabled prior to January 1, 1974, and continue to meet all the same eligibility requirements;

(iii) Are eligible for medicaid pursuant to section 5101.18 of the Revised Code.

Because you are applying for SSI, that is GOOD for you. BUT Look at Section B: you don't receive SSI just yet, the income is over a limit (is that limit provided to you, is it percentage of poverty levels?) It looks like assets or income is over a limit somewhere. Do you own anything? Real estate? Cash? Bank accounts? Gold? The car? (if a car is worth over $1000, you declare that car MAINLY USED FOR MEDICAL TRANSPORTATION, that will drop car's worth under $1K.)

Provide proof you are applying for SSI, and request the county's assistance person for SSI help you. (those are staff provided by welfare office to help you get the SSI, more like making sure you don't drop the app to stay on welfare)

Ohio to Work program requires a person to try to work, under any circumstances. There are exclusions, but those exclusions loop back to Age Blind Disabled and other assistance rules. If you can work sitting down, you might not qualify for ABD. So, if you can sit down, but are totally fatigued after 10 minutes, your job quality would suck. So that would be a point in your favor. You have to prove you cannot work under the Ohio to Work stats.

Looks like income is 1st. Are you receiving Unemployment? If you are - you have the choice of keeping unemployment OR dropping it to get Medicaid. (that is EXACTLY what I did in 2011, so I could get my mental shit under control. It's been over a year so far, and I'm living on ..well, whatever, point is that I had to choose to live on dimes)

Income, and assets. Assets ALSO include txfer of anything within the last 2 years. Did you transfer title of Doohickey worth more than $1000 to Someone? Yeah.

Proof from someone, somehow proving you are unable to work in the Ohio to Work Program.
      You may be excluded if you EXCEED the 50% of Federal Poverty Levels. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...J1slpB6eTkceJQ DO ASK ON HOW TO REPORT YOUR HOUSEHOLD. Is your household one? Two? 15? That may change your income levels. Find out how to request assistance for just you - are you self sufficient and only rely on yourself to eat/sleep/poop?

You have the eligibility to file and appeal/amendment/reconsideration with the state, after the denial judgement. Do that. Go back to office, and request such. Reading up on that, online- it is a PITA ("requesting in bold type" )and you will have to send off to third party. You might have to send your decisions to a 3rd party to go over it. (Send copies). At the same time, call your rep and state your issues and push for help.
      The reason I say that is because the Feds have specific criteria that you have to fit. The state can be STRICTER (but that's the State's decision) If you fit Fed criteria, you might be able to get the State to accept you via the Rep's assistance.
      I'd personally contact the Advocates that I listed above, first.

boils down to income. Can you work at all. Have you anything over pocket lint as assets.
      You have to prove you cannot work. (Find the criteria of "really super disabled, and still applying for SSI" ) Is your poverty (income) level under $5000 (that's on the .PDF)?
      It sounds like the household size's income may be the catch here. I'm assuming that you're declaring 3 or 4 people besides yourself.

It's a catch-22 if I'm reading it right. You have to prove to Feds that You Can't Work for the SSI shit. And you can't do THAT until you gathered up enough info from docs and stuff. Well, those documents from the doctors and professionals are what's needed to get the Ohio Assistance. And, well, it's almost proving that you get SSI to get any Ohio Assistance.
      Honey, get the Advocate. Get the rep on your side. State that you fall under the Aged Blind Disabled and prove you do.
      For now, food banks, barter. Do you have an atty for the SSI shit? Get one. You might be moved up in status depending on your condition.

Honey, I wish I could help. I wish I could send you $. I wish I could do more for you. I has a sad, I'm in similar boat. I can SO relate to this shit. I hope this law stuff gave you some insight. Hugs, hugs, hugs. Let's rail at the government together *DAMMIT WE'RE ELIGIBLE WE NEED THE HELP!"
      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

That is seriously effed up. I have a friend who has been on disability and medicaid for years now due to a car accident she was it that caused some minor brain damage. She has difficulty learning new things and retaining new information (supposedly) so she "can't" hold down a job. Doesn't seem to stop her from doing all of the new things she wants to do, though....
        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

I've done some research for federal disability in conjunction with Cirrhosis.

http://www.thedisabilityexpert.com/L...20Benefits.htm

The TL;DR version? States right in there that if there is massive hemorrhaging due to Cirrhosis it qualifies. Anybody want to guess what almost killed me, and which I spent 4 days in icu, 2 days in recovery for?

Now..I have an appointment with my liver doc the 6th..I am going to make sure he knows about the severe weakness, chronic pain, and how it is getting worse not better. If I can get him up to speed and on board, get SSDI and bring that to the state..I might qualify for at least Medicare. Better then nothing. Keep fingers crossed

P.S. In tremendous pain right now, so tired (no sleep for the wicked today)..and currently in tears. Pain meds and nerve meds not even touching the pain. *sighs* Headache, stomach ache, body aches..leg/feet pain..needed help earlier to get up from bed. Ok..will stop whinging now. Just tired.
          Last edited by Mytical; 07-01-2012, 05:27 AM.
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Everybody...I need all the positive thoughts I can get. Just got a notice from Disability. They have found that I am medically disabled (FINALLY!!), now all I have to do is wait to see if I am eligible 'non medically' which just means I need enough work credits. Within 30 days I will get the final notice. I am SOOO excited..and relieved

Comment

Glad to hear that at least one of the agencies got it right. I'm keeping you in my thoughts, Myt.
              "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

That is what I was hoping for. How many quarters have you worked? According to the Social Security Website if you have earned at least $4,520 in a year that is 4 credits. The amount of credits you need depends on your age. If you are between 31 and 42 you need 20 credits. That would be five years worth of work. If you are between 21 and 31 take your age and subtract 21. Divide that by 2 and multiply by 4. That will give you how many credits you wold need.

Comment

I am 38. I worked 6 years on ONE job (and made much more then the required amount). So I should be good.

Comment

that is incredible news, Mytical. I'll send all the positive thoughts I have your way

Comment

Lets hope the good news keeps coming.

Comment

I am taking the letter saying I am accepted down to the people that decide if I can get medicaid/medicare..should go a LONG way to getting me accepted. I can fully admit I cried when I got the letter.

Comment

*hugs Myt* Finally, someone has seen sense! And as you say, that should go a long way to persuading the medicare people to listen.

*happy dance this way*
                          *happy dance that way*
                          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Now..if only I can get the docs to do something about the constant weakness and constant pain. *chuckles* The person who accepts medicaid/medicare applications remarked to me. "You do not look so good, and I noticed you have a hard time walking." No .. really? You think? Now not only turtles pass me and tell me how slow I am..Snails have started to pass me. Though at least they say "Hey you are pretty fast." *laughs*

Comment

Finally some good news!

Comment

So, Mytical - you're talking SSDI/SSI (feds) are accepting your disability? YAY!!!! Those fuckers excuse me, departments... are notoriously difficult.
                                And I'm sorry, I missed the cirrhosis detail - good call! (hey glad YOU read it too). The $ allocated to you from Feds varies by the decision and which you applied for (SSI or SSDI). Hopefully you qualify for SSDI (feds, again) and your work quarters will figure out the $ you get per month.
                                A person gets a brochure annualy stating their possible $ if they received SSDI. It's based on quarters you work etc. Here: http://www.ssa.gov/mystatement/ (wow I like that! lot less paper usage) My brochure a year or so ago had $1000ish for me if I was authorized. I got something different with my SSDI app. Called 'em on it. They admitted the mistake. SO - double check on your numbers!!

You got food stamps now? I hope. Le Food Bank would be a smart thing too. IDK if you have a wheelchair or need one, or can get one w/ medicaid. Would it be practical to look online for one? Please understand I mean no disrespect. I'm being pragmatic. (and blunt)

I'm SO glad you're making headway with this shit. I'll send even more thoughts to the Feds to get you done quickly. Could you send some for me cuz they're being turds to me?

Hugs!!!!!
                                In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                                She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Working...
                                X