Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So who has tried to scalp themselves while making the bed? (other odd house injuries)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So who has tried to scalp themselves while making the bed? (other odd house injuries)

Okay, I had an experience last night that at least gives me a good laugh now, and could be a good off topic topic.

Let's here the weird, the bizzare, the strange ways you have managed to harm yourself while doing stuff around the house!

Anyways, last night I was being a nice hubby and making the bed while my wife was brushing her teeth. I am standing at the foot of my bed, which is right below the light fixture for our bedroom. It is one of the bowl shaped type fixtures, with enough room between it and the ceiling to switch bulbs without taking it off.

I do the snap the sheet out to cover the bed trick - and somehow snap it UP into the light fixture so when I pull it back down to the bed, I shatter the entire fixture into about 20 pieces.

Which then shower down upon me and my soft body. I think I got lucky, in that I had three small cuts on my arms/chest, and one REALLY good gash about an inch back of my hairline. Of course that freaked my wife out...

And the scalping bit? I'm part Native American. As much as I have pride in that, I do not want to commune with my NA ancestors by scalping anyone, let alone myself.

Ouch.

I once sprained one of my toes tripping over my sister's toys. Not my ankle, just one toe on my right foot. There was a big bruise around the base of the toe for a while, and it hurt like heck to walk on.
    It doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you look really cool doing it! -- Julio Scoundrel, Order of the Stick

Comment

You know, I saw the title and I was so sure this was gonna be a Seraph thread. Rather relieved it's not, actually, she has enough comical accidents.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Well, I tried to change the light bulbs in my kitchen ceiling light fixture while standing on a chair. Two things wrong with this: (1) I can just barely reach the bulbs this way and (2) I cannot keep my balance while standing on tip-toe, on top of a chair, with my head tilted back to see the light.

The glass cover was just barely hanging on by one screw. I wobbled and just managed not to fall when the cover let go and banged me on the head. I managed not to drop the cover, too, but it was a near thing.

Not trying that again.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

So a while back I was adding some stuff to my kitchen, including a wine glass rack and a magnetic knife rack.

I had already put up the wine glass rack on this one wall in the kitchen, and figured that right below that would be a great place to put the magnetic knife rack. So, I figure out where I want the rack, mark the two screw hole locations on the wall, and start hammering nails into the wall to get the screw holes started. When suddenly there was broken glass everywhere.

See, dopey me, I had not taken the wine glasses off of the rack. Which was on the wall above where I was putting the knife rack. You know....the wall I was hammering on.

Yeah, real genius I was. Amazingly, only lost one wine glass that day. In actuality, the wine glass fell on my head then down to the counter where it shattered. Luckily, I was wearing a ball cap, or there might have been more damage than just one shattered wine glass.

Quoth EyeTeaGuy View Post
          I do the snap the sheet out to cover the bed trick - and somehow snap it UP into the light fixture so when I pull it back down to the bed, I shatter the entire fixture into about 20 pieces.
          I did something eerily similar tonight. Been (finally) cleaning the place up, and as part of that, I was putting everything new on my bed: new pillows, new mattress pad, new pillowcases, and of course, new sheets. As I'm getting the fitted sheet in place, I give it a snap to spread it out....and somehow managed to get the sheet up into my ceiling fan. Nothing was broken, luckily, but the ceiling fan is, how shall we say, a bit dusty, and suddenly I had all this white ceiling fan dust on the sheet. The brand new, dark-colored sheet. Yeah. As I said...genius.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Don't sneeze while under coffee tables. Not only will you give yourself a near concussion you will give your forehead one helluva whack. Damn lucky I missed my nose. Now I know how a basketball feels.

Glass sliding doors. Really clean glass sliding doors. Can't see them and don't run in to house in socks KWATHACK!!!. Even pets get done with that one.

Most cringe worthy accident was a male friend's little toilet accident. He was sitting down and the wooden toilet seat cracked right at the front trapping his 2 fellas in a painful pinch and a few splinters to top it off. Apparently singing soprano can be achieved with a full baritone, poor guy. He was fine thankfully.

Comment

BFF recently was cleaning out her garage, and tripped over some boxes and gashed her knee. And I mean gashed it. It's this perfect cut that curves around her knee. I told her to quit telling people she tripped over a box and start telling them she had knee surgery, as that's what the cut looked like and that story sounded less pathetic.

I myself always get random bruises, but half the time don't remember what I bumped into. So far, the worst at-home injury was when I fractured my wrist when I was 10. I was wearing fluffy slippers, and couldn't reach the cupboard to get a glass for some milk, so I used the step-stool we kept in the kitchen for that purpose. Step up, grab glass, set on counter, start to step back...when my slippers caught on the stool and I fell backwards.

I sprained my wrists, but they weren't broken...yet. After being home all day with sore wrists, I decided I wanted milk, again, and went to go get a glass in my fuzzy slippers, again. Step up, grab glass, set on counter, start to step back...and the slippers caught again and I fell backwards again. That time, my right wrist began to swell, so it was off to the ER for x-rays and a splint for a fractured wrist.
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I've punched myself in the face opening a wine bottle...and I regularly walk into the walls of the townhouse I've lived in for YEARS and should therefore know where the damn things are by now
                The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I managed to gash my arm open on the towel rack next to the shower. Apparently the shelf is a bit sharper than I thought...
                  "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I'm so accident prone I'm forever damaging myself... of course, having wonky spacial awareness doesn't help either
                    Banging into door frames & aiming knives at me feet are common occurances but I've been excelling myself lately!

Couple of weeks ago I reached for a switch at the back of the microwave... the microwave door was ajar, my arm was over the top of it & my boob managed to knock the door shut & latched trapping some of my skin in there... which meant that opening the door again was problematical as the skin acted as a wedge to keep it shut!

Recently I've taken to ironing while sitting.. office chairs are very handy for this and it cuts my standing pain down a lot
                    Everything was fine til I got to a bad creased bit near the edge of the board & hit the steam....

Next time I ironed, I wore thick trousers!
                    Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

I managed to electrocute myself via lamp recently. I ended up with a 2nd-degree burn and a puncture wound on my finger. There's a thread around here somewhere. The cause was not paying attention and being in a hurry.
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

No fewer than three times, I've put my hand into a ceiling fan while putting on a shirt.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                          No fewer than three times, I've put my hand into a ceiling fan while putting on a shirt.
                          Putting on a shirt, no. Taking one off? Several times. Forgot about those.
                          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                            Putting on a shirt, no. Taking one off? Several times. Forgot about those.
                            Ok, I have to cop to that one, too.

Thankfully, it was only on low, so I didn't hurt myself, but it was a bit startling.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

And I'm sitting here with a pinched nerve in my shoulder from getting out of bed today. >.<
                              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                              X