X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work and Medical Procedure Recovery?

Ok, again, as it relates to this thread:

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...d.php?t=113059

I've got a few questions as far as advice goes...

My boss and my lead already know I'm going to need about a month off to recover. That will be granted to me (in fact, my boss and lead suggested using my vacation time and disability to take time off).

However, I'm still going to need to be on a "rehabilitation" program as part of the recovery process. This is going to last a few months after I'm allowed to return to work.

I work as a software guy, so I pretty much have a desk job.

Part of my "rehabilitation" is to periodically take walks, and do some exercises.

So my questions are:

1. Should I talk to my boss about being able to get up and walk around for 10-15 minutes every 45 minutes to an hour? An accommodation, or should I just explain that it's part of my rehab program and just do it?

2. Should I also ask if there's a place up here (I work in a multi-story skyscraper, we have floors 2-16 of a 50 story building) that I can do some exercises? We have "mother's rooms" and "prayer rooms" up here, but I think it would be inappropriate for me to use those.

3. (Optional) Should I swap my chair for a fitness ball?

Honestly, I'm planning on doing Tai Chi until they tell me I can do more rigorous exercise, then I'm planning on doing a type of Yoga, in addition to the Tai Chi.

Right now, I'm anticipating my surgery being toward the end of January.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

I think you should wait until you see the rehab people before any of that. You're jumping the gun IMO.

Comment

After my last two surgeries, the hospital staff wanted me out of bed and walking the halls as much as I could. When I got home, every hour I would walk up and down my front porch for 15 minutes.

When I got back to work, I would get up and walk the halls every couple of hours. You should let your boss know what you are doing, just so he knows that you are not off screwing around. Also a good idea so that they know where to look for you, just in case.

Do you have access to the stair wells? Climbing may be to difficult, but you can always walk down. I take the stairs whenever I can.

You could also look into something like this.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Get your doc to fill out FMLA forms. Also, if walking around is part of rehab, get your doc to officially prescribe it for you. Make sure you have copies, then give the forms to your HR office to keep on file.

You need these things to have proof that you are under a doctor's care for a specific condition. Since rehab is temporary, your boss shouldn't have a problem with this. It can't hurt to ask about using a conference room or something. Is there a break room or coat room, something like that?
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          It can't hurt to ask about using a conference room or something. Is there a break room or coat room, something like that?
          We do...but most (all??) of them have at least one side that's glass... some even have two or three sides that are glass...

So I'd be doing some sort of exercise (likely Tai Chi or whatever the doctor suggests) in a room with at least one glass (floor to ceiling) wall, and a glass door.

Our break room is a "common" area, and our coat rooms aren't really rooms...they're just areas off to the side where we can hang our coats.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
            2. Should I also ask if there's a place up here (I work in a multi-story skyscraper, we have floors 2-16 of a 50 story building) that I can do some exercises? We have "mother's rooms" and "prayer rooms" up here, but I think it would be inappropriate for me to use those.

Honestly, I'm planning on doing Tai Chi until they tell me I can do more rigorous exercise, then I'm planning on doing a type of Yoga, in addition to the Tai Chi.
            Quoth mjr View Post
            We do...but most (all??) of them have at least one side that's glass... some even have two or three sides that are glass...
            Considering that the conference rooms are a poor choice due to visibility, and both Yoga and Tai Chi have a meditative element, the "prayer rooms" are probably the best choice. Your rehab program sounds like it's somewhat flexible on timing - see if your boss can find out what times the prayer rooms are not in use for actual prayer, so that you wouldn't be disturbing anyone praying. From what I've heard, religions that require prayer multiple times a day also require the prayer to be done at specific times.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              From what I've heard, religions that require prayer multiple times a day also require the prayer to be done at specific times.
              I may check into that. Thanks! I kinda wanted to avoid the prayer rooms, out of respect to those who use them as part of their religious practices (as I don't know if it's disrespectful to do something other than pray in them), but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                Considering that the conference rooms are a poor choice due to visibility, and both Yoga and Tai Chi have a meditative element
                I wouldn't really be too concerned with the "meditative elements". Especially with the type of yoga I'd be doing. I'd be more concerned about the "look at the crazy guy in the room over there..." kind of thing.

Or going into a room someone needs to have a meeting in...we have very small ones, that are maybe 10ft x 10ft, but even so, sometimes they can cram 4 or 5 people in there for a "stand up" or whatever.

Comment

Boss is mandated by the ADA to allow you as they are both reasonable and accommodations can be made. They do not affect core responsibilities as well. Got to love having just taking an ADA course....

Comment

The reason I mentioned meditative elements is that (bit of a stretch) they could be considered semi-religious in nature.

Since this is a temporary thing (i.e. until you have finished rehab), and the boss has to find a place for you to do it (ADA), the prayer room (especially if it's at a time when it's not actively being used for prayer) shouldn't be a problem.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                      Since this is a temporary thing (i.e. until you have finished rehab), and the boss has to find a place for you to do it (ADA), the prayer room (especially if it's at a time when it's not actively being used for prayer) shouldn't be a problem.
                      Also a good thought. Hadn't considered it.

At some point during the rehab, I'll probably have to do more than just walk around the building/floor. That's why I was asking.

I'll probably also be able to do some of this at home, I just want to have the option of doing it at work, as well, if necessary.

I'm also trying to figure out a way to avoid smokers and secondhand smoke. I don't smoke, personally, and I find the smell of it disgusting.

That said, I want to try to avoid it as much as possible. I used to be able to, because there was a "tunnel/cat walk" system I used to take from my car to the building where I work, thus avoiding smokers (since smoking isn't allowed in the tunnel). Unfortunately now, I have to take the catwalk-to-building system instead, and walk outside. And people smoke outside our building, and I walk right past it. One side of our building (the north side) is under renovation (that's what "closed off" part of the tunnel to our building), so people all smoke on the south side. There are signs up that say "Smoking on west side of building only", and I may contact HR or the building people about it.

Although I could buy some of those air filter masks and just wear those every day until I get in the building...

Quoth csquared View Post
                      After my last two surgeries, the hospital staff wanted me out of bed and walking the halls as much as I could. When I got home, every hour I would walk up and down my front porch for 15 minutes.

When I got back to work, I would get up and walk the halls every couple of hours. You should let your boss know what you are doing, just so he knows that you are not off screwing around. Also a good idea so that they know where to look for you, just in case.

Do you have access to the stair wells? Climbing may be to difficult, but you can always walk down. I take the stairs whenever I can.

You could also look into something like this.
                      Hey, csquared...

I wanted to go back and address a few of these things...

I'm quite sure the hospital staff is going to have me walking the halls as soon as I'm out of the ICU and in a normal recovery room. When I get home, I can probably just wander aimlessly around my house, or go take a walk outside, weather permitting. I live in Texas, and it's a bit nippy today, so I don't know what the weather's gonna be like in a few weeks.

Based on what I've read,though, aside from sleeping at night, as part of my cardiac rehab program (at least for the first month or so) they want me walking for 15-20 minutes every hour or so. I may even buy a heart rate monitor, just to keep an eye on things that way.

As far as when I'm back to work, I found a website that has an "online stopwatch". I'll probably set it for 45 minutes or an hour, and leave it running in a browser on my screen, and walk when it finishes.

We do have stairs and elevators here. I'm on the 7th floor, and one set of stairs goes from the 2nd to 8th floor. The other goes from the ground floor all the way up to the 50th. I don't think I'll be walking those.

Letting them know that I'm walking around, and on what floors, is a terrific idea.
                      Last edited by EricKei; 12-31-2015, 10:05 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Comment

So I got an update today. My doctor (not The Doctor) called me and gave me the results of my cardiac MRI. So there's one more test they want to run, and then a meeting with the surgeon.

My doctor told me probably an early February target date for the surgery.

Comment

So another update...

I'm scheduled on Feb. 18th for a Cardiac MRI. I've continued eating better and continued with my exercises (I'm doing 4-5 days a week of a DVD-based yoga* program I found). I'm down at least 5 lbs in a month, so that's good. I'm already feeling the difference.

Anyway, I'm nervous about this. A day off work, and a Work from Home day that Friday.

After that, I'm hoping things move quickly. I've been anxious ever since the doctor recommended surgery.

* It Ain't Your Mama's Yoga...

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                            I'm scheduled on Feb. 18th for a Cardiac MRI.
                            Bring some good music. One time the radio was broke. They could only get one station. I was forced to listen to Justin Beiber.
                            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                            Save the Ales!
                            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                              Bring some good music. One time the radio was broke. They could only get one station. I was forced to listen to Justin Beiber.
                              I actually made a boo-boo. I meant Cardiac Catheterization...

A few weeks back when I had the Cardiac MRI, they had Pandora, so the lady just asked me what kind of music or musician I wanted. I told her Johnny Cash would work.

Comment

Working...
                              X