This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry I Got You Fired...

I accidentally got someone fired at my work last week.
    It was a Tuesday, and she called in and said that something happened and on Wednesday, she couldn't work. Since I'm not the manager, and I'm just the counter person, I really didn't have the authority to offer advice. But I said to her, "Well, the manager won't be here, and you're on call, so we just won't call you in!"
    I was trying to be nice, and she thanked me and said I saved her life. I felt good .
    The next day, my boss calls me up and we had a LONG chat about how I shouldn't have told my coworker that because that wasn't my authority.
    And I totally understood and took responsibility for it. I knew it was completely my fault and I shouldn't have told the coworker that.
    Days went by .......... my coworker didn't show up for work.
    Turns out, she was fired because she took my advice.
    So I've been scared for my job ever since. Surely if she was fired for taking the advice, I would also be fired for GIVING the advice.
    I feel REALLY REALLY bad about what happened. And when she came in to pick up her last paycheck, I apologized. She then told me that our boss offered her the job back, but she refused. She said she didn't want to work for someone who terrified her.

I don't see how it's your fault that she didn't show up for multiple days. =/
    Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Quoth Kyree View Post
      I don't see how it's your fault that she didn't show up for multiple days. =/
      I think she didnt show up for multiple days BECAUSE she was fired.

OP~I dont know what to tell you. If your manager already talked to you, then it would seem that you wont be fired over this. Its a sucky situation all around.

Comment

What the---

Look, I'm glad you've kept your job, don't get me wrong. But if I was the manager in that situation I would've fired the advice giver, not the advice taker. If I call into work and someone tells me not to worry about coming in tomorrow, then I'll take that as the company telling me not to worry.

It sucks she was fired, it's awesome that she was offered her job but refused. Gutsy.

If you were spoken to and you still have your job, you should be fine. Be an excellent employee for the next few weeks and try not to worry about it, assuming you want things to stay as they are.
        If there’s one thing women love, it’s the guy that just can’t seem to find the line that divides “Ha Ha” and “Stacey, get your purse, we’re leaving before he comes back.”.

--Gravekeeper

Comment

I wouldn't of fired anyone over it.... nor even thought about it... a warning, in writing, put in the person's file (that would only be used if they did something fireable later on as an add-on to help prevent lawsuits).

Comment

Unless I'm missing some crucial part of the story.. she didn't actually get fired, but really quit because she thought your boss was an a$$. So I wouldn't pin it on yourself.
            I will never go to school!

Comment

Working...
            X