No announcement yet.

The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here in Pondland, we are now on lockdown- you are allowed out only to get food, one spell of exercise a day, for medical needs, for delivering things to vulnerable people and for travelling to work if you are a vital worker(NHS/doctor/emergency worker/supermarket worker)…

I guess I can now pootle about the house in PJs,binge watch boxsets, rack up lots of points in Farm Saga and sunbathe in the back garden knowing I am doing my bit for my country
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
      I guess I can now pootle about the house in PJs,binge watch boxsets, rack up lots of points in Farm Saga and sunbathe in the back garden knowing I am doing my bit for my country
      Posted on Facebook:

For once in the history of mankind, we can save the world by sitting in front of the TV and doing nothing.

Don't screw it up!
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

• Quoth Smapti View Post
        The Store has put a big large-print message on all our receipts stating that we are NOT accepting returns on any of the items people are hoarding, and every checkstand now has signage saying we only accept returns for safety and quality issues.
        Yeah, our store is refusing refunds as well. All sales final.

Comment

• Quoth Smapti View Post
          The Store has put a big large-print message on all our receipts stating that we are NOT accepting returns on any of the items people are hoarding, and every checkstand now has signage saying we only accept returns for safety and quality issues.
          In the land Down under, I've seen the same signs popping up at the major grocery stores and anywhere else that's selling those items people are hoarding (for non-supermarkets, we're looking at things like TP and hand sanitizer).

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
          Here in Pondland, we are now on lockdown- you are allowed out only to get food, one spell of exercise a day, for medical needs, for delivering things to vulnerable people and for travelling to work if you are a vital worker(NHS/doctor/emergency worker/supermarket worker)…

We're in gradual lockdown. I'm a little confused honestly as to whether I'm classed as "essential" since I work in a hospital, but I'm not clinical. O.o

We're on work from home at the moment, but I've put the rule that I need to be on-site for all meetings.

Comment

• We're considered essential because we have all kinds of hands in shipping and mailing, so our office is open but only 10 people are there. Seems pointless but I guess some can't get internet to work from home or something.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• This have gotten bad where I worked. We went from having almost too much work to everyone in the company having their hours cut to 32 hours a week, and laying off 25% of the employees. All that in a span of three weeks.

Oh, and I was one of the ones laid off. Called to tell me while I was taking week off to try and relax... Today sucked.

Comment

• Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                Bar the binge watching box sets, I'm doing that anyway (sunbathing is purely at breakfast and lunch). Working from home is awesome!
                "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• Quoth Marmalady View Post
                  I just find it interesting that the contractor staff (cleaners, security) whose hours were being cut / trimmed by the supermarket where I work, have suddenly been found to not be optional extras after all. Funny, that.
                  Aaaaand I had a text from my boss yesterday that the housekeeping hours are being extended. They'll run 12 hours a day instead of 7 (used to be 10 until they cut it)
                  Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

• Quoth LadyofArc View Post
                    We're in gradual lockdown. I'm a little confused honestly as to whether I'm classed as "essential" since I work in a hospital, but I'm not clinical. O.o
                    My boyfriend's niece works IT at her hospital and she's considered essential. I guess it depends on whether or not your job can be done from home or if it's absolutely vital to the function of keeping patients healthy and alive.
                    Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

• On a side note, I've seen a thread with a post from a doctor explaining why liquor stores could be considered essential -- Long story short, alcohol withdrawal is a bitch, and the last thing hospitals need is people coming in because forcibly going cold turkey didn't work out for them. I can see that.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• Today was the first day of my state's "stay at home" order. We're considered essential so we're open. And it was also our truck day. There was about 4-5 people waiting for the store to open most went right to the paper goods where we actually got toilet paper and paper towels. We were steady but slow. I want to say that it's not as busy but there's still a good amount of cars on the road.

Corporate sent down a bunch of stuff about keeping 6 feet away. Through our checkout there's tape on the floor to keep people apart and they want us to tell them to back it up. Yesterday they wanted the same thing done outside the store for people waiting outside for opening. My dumbass coworker asked me what all the X's outside were. I asked if she saw the signs and she said no. At least the people waiting this morning were following the instructions. Is that a sign of the apocalypse?
                        I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

• Hopefully, your store is limiting paper goods so EVERYONE can have some, not just the vultures who swarm at opening.
                          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• We've just been issued the "stay at home" order for my locality. Apparently it's lasting until April 16.

In the meanwhile, we'll see how well that works . . . I did receive my authorization paper (aka the Permission Slip from the Principal) and it's safely stashed in the glove compartment of the truck.

Our Musak has updated with periodic messages from Litter Box reminding everyone about social distancing, which play frequently. We've spent yesterday afternoon removing what floor displays we had left in order to provide more space for folks to utilize distancing.

The sheep aren't listening so far. . . they still want to come right up on you!
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

• Anyone else?
                              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• Quoth TheWolfEmperor View Post
                                My boyfriend's niece works IT at her hospital and she's considered essential. I guess it depends on whether or not your job can be done from home or if it's absolutely vital to the function of keeping patients healthy and alive.
                                OUr IT team are being split into two teams and rotating who's on-site each week and who's handling tickets.

I'm actually very tempted to ask to be redeployed with them to handle the myriad of queries on how to properly utilise Zoom or other low-grade IT issues, or at least be trained.

Comment

Working...
                                X