The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm billing in a medical office, so essential but fewer hours
    My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

• My mom fell victim to another aspect of this crisis yesterday; overzealous cleaning.

The cleaning company that does our building has been using extra sanitizing product...and not drying the floors at all. We can see puddles of liquid on the tile. She was coming downstairs to wedge the front door open for me (I was ferrying items over from the old place), and slipped on the stairs. Luckily she was holding the railing anyway, kept her body upright and didn't hit her head but has some impressive bruises on her backside. She filed an incident report with management, and the head maintenance guy came over and said that he had taken the cleaners to task about this before (they don't even have wet-floor signs).
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Quoth TheWolfEmperor View Post
        Vermont just issued the stay-at-home order. Good thing I picked up my form identifying me as an "essential worker" the other day.
        I was given one of those yesterday.

I may or may not end up needing it. Good chance I will be off all next week.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

• So just to check I did this right... at 8 o'clock tonight we were supposed to go out and give our local nurses the clap? :P
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• I live in the sticks (never occurred to me how icky handrails in commonly used corridors and hallways are/were) and as of this past week, sooo glad to live in my own home.

The city manager has closed the city where I work for five days, with fines if you're caught out and about doing anything 'cept buying groceries and meds, or banking or getting your car gassed up or repaired. Boss closed the store March 16th, though, for two weeks. City manager's decision will take that to the 30th or 31st, or I guess he and the mayor will re-evaluate then.

Comment

• Re-usable bags are now verboten in my store.

Comment

• MA has banned them as well. Which actually makes it better for us when we're doing shopping for friends; easier to keep things separate. I'd love to know if the ban applies if someone is using the scan-it gun; I'd think that would be ok as the customer is the only one ever touching the bag.

Comment

• Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                  Re-usable bags are now verboten in my store.
                  The Store doesn't have baggers, so it's not an issue for us as everyone bags their own stuff anyway.

Today was the first day since things started up that it was actually slow, so people appear to mostly be taking the shutdown seriously. We even had toilet paper left at closing time! A couple of our employees are in quarantine right now, so we're waiting to see if anyone comes down with it. (If I do, I'm fully covered between my paid sick leave for at least several weeks before I have to apply for state medical leave or dip into my vacation time).

It was confirmed this week that we're going to be getting some kind of hazard pay for these past few weeks and going forward, but they're still finalizing the details.

Comment

• Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    I GOT TOILET PAPER ON SATURDAY I'M KING OF THE WORLD KNEEL BEFORE YOUR TWO-PLY COMFORT-WEAVE MASTER.

That is all.

We got gloves about a week ago and the plexiglass went up sometime Wednesday night. Only problem with it is that I now have a terrible time hearing what customers are saying.

Employer continues to provide us with sandwich makings in the break room.

They are screaming for people to volunteer temporarily to switch over from whatever they're doing to pulling orders during the wee hours (10 p.m. to 6:30 a.m.) because the program is so overloaded people are registering their online orders ... and being told pickup is in three or four or five days ... I have put my name in. It will be eight-hour shifts but I can do that for eight hours as opposed to cashiering for eight hours because I will be moving around the store, not standing in one place.

Having said that, they called me at my register today to ask if I would take an eight-hour cashier shift on Tuesday ... starting at 7 a.m. Which means I will have to leave my house around 6 or 6:15 or so. Offer up some tots and pears for my customers that day ... they will need it.

Stay well!
                    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Just been told that as of 1st April I will be on furlough at 80% of my pay for at least a month. Not too bothered as 80% of my pay will cover my monthly bills, particularly since I won't be paying out £100/month on diesel to travel to and from work, but I've got a feeling I'll start getting stir crazy after a while.
                      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• I wish my company did that, 80% of my wages would be not fun, but workable. We have to rely on UI, which is overburdened even without this (I was one of the lucky few who managed to get in before the system crashed, but now they're having me jump through hoops to prove what my company claims they already know).

Comment

• Quoth greek_jester View Post
                          Just been told that as of 1st April I will be on furlough at 80% of my pay for at least a month. Not too bothered as 80% of my pay will cover my monthly bills, particularly since I won't be paying out £100/month on diesel to travel to and from work, but I've got a feeling I'll start getting stir crazy after a while.
                          As introverted as I am, I'm going crazy and I've been self-isolating for a week and a half. Part of the problem is I have a very active four year old and all of my normal outlets for him (like going to the park or a restaurant that has a play area) are closed.

Thankfully Persona 5 Royal and Final Fantasy VII remake are being released soon, so that should help.
                          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

• Was absolutely dumbfounded to find a 24-pack of T.P. in the returns carriage towards the end of the my shift. Quickly snapped it up and paid for it at the service desk so I could stash it in the break room before I left.

Comment

• Nice find!
                              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                                Was absolutely dumbfounded to find a 24-pack of T.P. in the returns carriage towards the end of the my shift. Quickly snapped it up and paid for it at the service desk so I could stash it in the break room before I left.
                                The Store has been keeping a pallet of TP in the back room for employees to buy after their shifts.

Comment

Working...
                                X