No announcement yet.

The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My province currently has no active covid cases, so this is good. It means that we're that much closer to being able to go on with our lives...I still can't wait to go for sushi again.

But my work place does not appear to be opening anytime soon. The tourism industry is being hit hard here, especially with the province not allowing travelers in unless they're here for business reasons and are willing to self-quarantine for 14 days. And as I work in a hotel, you can imagine how that impacts me going back to work. The spa side of the business has apparently started opening up in a limited fashion, but the kitchen isn't open so I wouldn't even see a few hours there either. Thankfully I'm still able to receive the CERB payments and that they've been extended for an additional two months. By the time the payments end I will hopefully be back to work!

Comment

• As of Monday, masks will be mandatory to enter all commercial establishments in my immediate vicinity.

THIS should be interesting. I hope they've got somebody who looks like Hulk Hogan on 'door duty' and not some poor 17-year-old kid.

KuariKaydrith: wherever you live, I want to move there.
      Last edited by Pixelated; 06-20-2020, 02:48 AM.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Second Saturday at the decor shop: totally under-staffed in the middle of a liquidation. Since Coworker X was diagnosed with Covid, three others are out. Two are sick that I know of--don't know if it's Covid but they don't have the exact symptoms according to Store Leader--and one is quarantining anyway despite appearing well. We are cutting back operating hours if the DM will allow and keeping it to 20-25 people in the store. The company still won't require customers to wear masks but more than half did today so that was the bright spot. The stupid thing was people--including a coworker, wearing them only covering their mouths. Um, you breathe through your nose, too. It was too busy for my taste. There were the few wanting extra discounts and we had to tell people no more ordering from online into the store for pickup. They can order to their house but a lot of the furniture, even if just a simple ottoman, requires a set-up fee of $169. I can understand a sofa or heavy mosaic framed mirror, but a woven ottoman? The customers are justifiably annoyed. Quite a few things can't be ordered at all, even if we have 700 in the warehouse. The company is going out of business; it is what it is. It's just annoying and we don't really get breaks as part-timers. That's not illegal here and they take advantage, though I can go get a drink or whatever. I have a headache from stress and wearing a mask. I don't have to at all but I do it for other people.
        Last edited by Food Lady; 06-20-2020, 10:42 PM.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• "It's about the safety" got laid to waste when the gov said he was keeping a county who wanted to open w/o his ok but said fine we all play nice "yellow" just because they did that.

Went out to eat out now were were blessed by the king to green. Very annoyed shop owners. All the rules that are still killing them.

But it was great otherwise they were happy we were there. Few people were out.
          funny people were all worried about plastic straws and bags now we are throwing out menus and salt and pepper is all single packs.

I made sure to overtip even though the one waitress kept mixing things up cause of being out of practice.
          Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; 06-21-2020, 05:46 PM.
          AkaiKitsune
          Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

• I wonder if bringing one's own salt/pepper/dry seasoning of choice would be OK? Seeing as the diner will be the only one who ever touches it...

Dining has opened up here, mainly outdoor. Indoor is still being figured out; I have a suspicion that our bar-style seafood restaurant won't open for awhile yet as there's not a lot of extra room for distancing/barriers.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Things are opening up here inspite of more cases being diagnosed every day. The whole US is riding the first wave and a second wave is coming, yet they keep opening up. So incredibly stupid and I'm not playing that game.
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

• Second warning, people! This thread is starting to get too political again. If you want to discuss the politics of this situation, we have another board for that sort of thing. I don't want to shut this thread down, but I may have to if it continues down that path again!

Mod hat off...
                My wife and I volunteered with the kitties for the first time in almost exactly three months. It almost felt like we had never been gone. The store didn't say anything about masks, but the employees and volunteers were wearing them, so we did as well. We were told we could take them off when we were in the adoption area, so as not to scare the cats, but we're also not letting people go back there just to visit like we used to, unless they're actually filling out an application and want to get to know the cat they're adopting. It's a tiny space to begin with, so it's probably a good idea to keep people out for now.

Since the county where I work went "green" last Friday, they reopened the fitness center. It had been open before, but only to the handful of people who were still working onsite. My cynical self half expected them to do something stupid like restore my access to the fitness center but not to the main entrance or the garage, but I got in without a problem. One of the first things I did was go back to my desk and throw away a box of snacks that I left there three months ago. It was a strange feeling being back after all this time, and seeing events on the bulletin board that ended up not happening. It was almost like things were frozen in time.

I'm still not sure when we're going back, but in the last email they sent out, it sounded like early September. For now, for the people already working onsite, masks are required except when you're sitting at your desk, and only "encouraged" when you're using the fitness center. All the bathrooms that have two entrances now have a designated entrance and exit, except for the small one on the first floor that only has a single entrance. Each stairway is one direction -- up or down, and elevators are limited to three people. I'm sure that one is going to be fun. The fitness center is limited to 13 people and the locker rooms three people, but I usually go in after hours so I probably won't have to deal with any kind of wait. I definitely need to get back into it because I wasn't happy when I finally got up the nerve to step on the scale the other day.

One of my friends from the bar had a cookout at her house this pasty weekend, and also hired a karaoke guy. It was nice seeing some of my friends again and getting to sing. Not sure when we'll be able to do that at a bar again, since places don't seem to be having any kind of live entertainment yet. Unfortunately, karaoke was only able to go until 11 because of the neighbors. No one complained or called the cops, but we certainly weren't going to push it.

I'm still trying to decide whether to go to the beach or not. If we're going to cancel, I need to do it this week if I want my deposit back. My brother already had to cancel because the place they had cancelled on them. One one hand, it would still be nice to get a change of scenery, but at the same time we don't know what's going to be open and what activities are going to be allowed. And as jam packed as the boardwalk gets, I don't see how they're going to get people to stay apart. I can stay six feet back from whoever is in front of me, but I can't keep the people behind me from getting right on my ass, which makes me uneasy on a normal day. Not to mention that we'd be going to the state with the second highest number of cases.

Meanwhile, here in PA we don't seem to be doing too bad. We had the sixth highest number of cases, but last week Florida and Texas both surpassed us. And while we're still in the top ten as far as number of cases, we're actually in the bottom three for number of new cases per day. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will continue, and we'll be able to get back to normal in the near future. For now, it's nice to be able to go out to eat and drink again, even if karaoke isn't back yet.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

• Hmm, I wonder if my company will do the mask-away-from-desk thing. I could deal with that. Our office has emptied out so much in the past 3 years that we could spread out and sit at least 6 feet apart and wear a mask for a meeting.

Comment

• Hades Annex was not requiring facewear around the building. We're a call center, and I'm honestly not sure how those wearing masks while taking calls are not having problems with callers being able to hear them.
                    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• Quoth Seanette View Post
                      Hades Annex was not requiring facewear around the building. We're a call center, and I'm honestly not sure how those wearing masks while taking calls are not having problems with callers being able to hear them.
                      We technically are, though my team doesn't spend as much time on the phone as Customer Service does, unless we are helping them. A lot of what I do is email. Currently our desks are as close as 2 feet apart.

Comment

• Yesterday, we got shiny new stickers for the lobby to encourage physical distancing. With as little foot traffic as we get in our lobby, it probably wasn't strictly necessary, but I'm glad we have them all the same. All our employees have face masks, but it's not required that we wear them, so nobody has been. We have signs on the doors encouraging face masks (also telling people to stay home if they're feeling sick, which I wish we would continue to keep up even after the pandemic dies down). Only about half our customers have been wearing masks. Since our county & state have a fairly low number of cases so far, I think I get not wanting to wear a mask. Personally, I feel a bit hypocritical that I don't wear a mask at work, but I do when I go out for groceries.
                        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                        -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Well good news from over the pond. This weekend we had just 15 deaths and under 1'000 cases- lowest since before lockdown. Pubs and museums and cinemas will be opening up on 4 July-so it'll be a happy 4th here!
                          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• Employees are required to wear masks and gloves where I work. We also have to wash our hands and change our gloves at least every thirty minutes.
                            Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

• Our state started having the highest daily numbers since the beginning, and as of tomorrow masks are required in public places. We have to wear them at work, too. Now I'm a big fan of masks, don't misunderstand. But it's a commercial bakery going into summer. It's really physical work next to ovens and hot racks. We're going to have a hard time of it.
                              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

• The head teller was just telling us that the Fed (Federal Reserve Bank) is limiting how much coin we can order. Like most banks, we get cash deliveries once a week via an armored car service. We don't even order that much. (I won't get into specifics due to safety concerns, even though I'm largely anonymous here.) But however much the head teller ordered, she got a response that she couldn't order that much. And just coin, too. Not paper money. So she's been warning customers (especially business customers who normally order a large amount of rolled coin) that she might have to limit how much coin we give out. Apparently the Fed didn't actually give a reason, but we suspect it's due to pandemic-related restrictions.
                                "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                                -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
                                X