The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good for you.

The State of Georgia reported our second and third highest days of new reported cases and our hospital ICUs are at 95%.

On the good side, vax rates are up, but we are still near the bottom of the list nation wide.

Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

• Well, I'm in Mississippi, soooo~

Latest thing: People are now protesting against the HOSPITALS' decision to enforce a vaxx-or-always-mask mandate amongst its employees; one of many planned protests in the area. Someone running a local "info" group posted this and threatened to ban anyone who felt that said protest might be...er...problematic. I decided to just save her the trouble and skeedaddled before I said something I'd rather not (in there). Shame. Good group otherwise.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• We've had a protest here, too, by some of the employees of the local hospital/clinic group after the hospital announced that employees would be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19.

One of my coworkers got in an argument with a customer today, ending with him closing his account, after he asked her if she's vaccinated. She told him she wasn't and didn't intend to get the vaccine, and he said we should post signs on our doors saying at least one of our employees is unvaccinated. (Trying to stay out of the weeds, here, but I disagree with both of them.) It escalated to the branch manager, who told the customer over the phone that he needed to stop swearing and yelling at him. So, yeah, we lost a customer that nobody liked anyway.
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Is it just a local thing, or are supplies getting challenging again? Shopping today at Walmart, they were out of the oil filter my car takes (Amazon did have it and I've ordered 2), the ramen section was virtually bare (only a few scattered lonely packs/cups), and there were some low-stock conditions on things like canned vegetables and soft drinks, plus bare spots scattered around, that had me thinking back to spring of 2020.
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• It turns out that when shipping companies decided to fire their drivers when they thought shipping was going to slow down due to the pandemic and everyone staying home, they find out now that they don't have enough people to drive the trucks full of the products the stores need. Same thing happened in all the shipping ports. Lots of ships full of containers and not enough people to process/unload them. It just took this long for the warehouses to empty out.

Comment

• What Arcus said. ^_^ I figure there are probably still people hoarding and/or buying to resell at inflated prices, too, which doesn't help.

I can definitely understand seeing shortages of long-term storage goods like ramen (still smarter than buying a cart full of milk and ice cream when you anticipate a power outage), as stocking up on those is generally a good idea even in the best of times, but...oil filters?!? That's something that vehicles do need regularly, but most do not need them all THAT often. Huh.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

• great. just freaking great.

Most of my house has taken COVID seriously. Most. The one person that didn't just tested positive and has been feeling sick for a few days. He didn't tell anyone he was feeling sick because he didn't want to hear anything about getting tested or have to wear a mask in the house. Now everyone is in quarantine and we all have to be tested.

Comment

• Well, shit. I wish all of you well. Yeah, even him - Can't learn from one's mistakes if ya don't survive them. I hope he does.

Comment

• I'm sorry. All the precaution in the world doesn't help when an idiot housemate brings it in the house. That's how I caught it last year.
                    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

• Arcus, I'm so sorry.
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• I mentioned last year about a good friend who had a tough time getting a marriage license, so he could get married to a lovely woman, who had had a terminal neurological disease. The county, and state was backed up to hell from the events of the time. He contacted the county to try to get it fast tracked, due to her condition. He did get it, so he could legally get married to her, which was her last wish. She passed away in January, from Huntington's disease.

Today would have been their 1 year wedding anniversary.

It sucks, and nothing to deal with the pandemic, but it sucks that my dear friend couldn't have spent more years with an amazing woman, who was perfect for him.

I'm sorry if this is too off topic.
                        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

• It does suck.

A story from this area. Couple wanted to get married. One had a severe illness. Was about to start an experimental treatment. Wanted to get married "just in case". Illness has left him severely immunocompromised. He could not risk going into the clerk's office.

They contracted the clerk. Clerk asked a judge. Judge said "Meet you on the front steps!".

The judge brought the paperwork out. Signed & witnessed. Asked "Do you? Do you?". Pronounced them Husband and Husband, and sent them on their way.

I hope the treatment works. If not, may they enjoy what little time they have left together.
                          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                          Save the Ales!
                          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

• I got married in July when we had a brief respite from wearing masks indoors. We got married in the courthouse. I loved the quick and easy ceremony, no muss no fuss and no masks. After that the mask mandate went into effect again. Oh well it was nice while it lasted.
                            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

• Quoth csquared View Post
                              The judge brought the paperwork out. Signed & witnessed. Asked "Do you? Do you?". Pronounced them Husband and Husband, and sent them on their way.
                              I'm happy to know the ceremony from Spaceballs has actually been used.

I can officiate weddings and would like to do that ceremony some day.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Be sure to use the angry voice and the "Good. You're married. Kiss her." and walk off

Comment

Working...
                                X