This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everywhere has been through this.

We've been trying to kindly and not so kindly express to the higher ups that we really need either a) higher standards in the hiring process or b) no more temps. We get 30 people or more every week, and by the end of the week, there are 2 or 3 left. Within a month, those 2 or 3 are gone. Out of hundreds of them so far (it seems) there have to be 10 or less still there. Most of them are kids but there are some older entitled people who think they can automatically be at the top and they deserve it. The kids don't want to work. Period. Gives kids my age a bad name. I mean, they are literally picking people off the street. Most of which don't even want a job in the first place, but are being forced to.

It irks me, it really does. I am so sick of overtime and being understaffed. At the same time, I am sick of having a trainee for 3 days and then that person quitting because "I hate fucking work!" or whatever brilliant thing they have to say.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

It's commentary like this that makes me so damned proud of my 16 year old eldest niece, Princess, who works at The Bar with RW and myself, and BUSTS HER ASS, going over and above her normal job duties to help out. Is there a proudly beaming smiley that I could put here?!?!?!?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

10 Yes you do have to put your Social Security # we need it for the background check

Legally your not supposted to give your SIN number until after you've been hired. An application generally asks you if you've had any criminal record. Atleast thats how it works in Canada. A SIN number has important information on it and giving that out can result in identity theft.
        Be like the flower that perfumes the very hand that crushes it.

Comment

If you are applying for a job as a 911 operator...

..and the question is "If you knew someone who had commited a crime would you turn him/her in"

Dont put " Its depends on what they did"

Comment

Quoth Fawn View Post

Legally your not supposted to give your SIN number until after you've been hired. An application generally asks you if you've had any criminal record. Atleast thats how it works in Canada. A SIN number has important information on it and giving that out can result in identity theft.
            There is legal, and then there's how the world really works. Legally, the social security number cannot be used as an identifier for non-government usage, but look at what you have to do to get a loan from the bank.

Note: I don't think it is right, but then again, its not the hill I want to die on either.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

How to NOT get a job at my store:

- Demand an application and complain about the company (especially the membership)

- Take an application, turn it in, and trash the store (teens in the kids department, almost daily)

- Call or come in every day and get angry at us for not calling. We're not that big, don't have a big turnover, and therefore only need about 4 extra hands for the holidays.

- Ask for lots of money. Yes it's expensive to live in the city, but you are not getting anything above minimum wage unless you have retail or book experience. Then we'll give you $.50. Congrats.

- Ask for help on your application. If you don't understand a part, that's one issue. If you stand a customer service and take up my time asking how to fill out each part, I'll be sure to pass your name to the manager.

That's all I can think of right now, but I'l sure as we get closer, it'll get worse.

JF
              First Lesson I learned from working in a bookstore:
              People who can read are made of the same rudeness as those who cannot.

Comment

It just keeps getting better

We found someone!! Works at Wal-Fart needs second job, polite, responsible, knows how to bathe! Yaay!!

Untill: She shows up tonight and can't work the days assigned. At the interview she said she could work ANY NIGHT! Now she can't. So now she has no job with us. Why didn't she say it might be a problem at the interview? Why waste our time and her's? Now we have to find someone to cover her shifts! ARGH!

Rule #68 If you can't work the days we need don't apply
                69 Don't lie about the days you can work thinking once you are hired you can change them
                70 Don't lie to the person interviewing you EVER
                Last edited by Lady Heather; 10-25-2007, 11:02 AM.
                Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
                The following is subject to change:
                If Your Going Through Hell,
                Keep Going...

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                  Of course, upon Google-ing myself, I found out that I am a torte lawyer, and writer for Nintendo Next!, and a freelance session guitarist on the Austin music scene.
                  I'm myself and a misspelled Israeli tombstone.

Comment

Quoth Lady Heather View Post
                    We found someone!! Works at Wal-Fart needs second job, polite, responsible, knows how to bathe! Yaay!!

Untill: She shows up tonight and can't work the days assigned. At the interview she said she could work ANY NIGHT! Now she can't. So now she has no job with us. Why didn't she say it might be a problem at the interview? Why waste our time and her's? Now we have to find someone to cover her shifts! ARGH!

Rule #68 If you can't work the days we need don't apply
                    69 Don't lie about the days you can work thinking once you are hired you can change them
                    70 Don't lie to the person interviewing you EVER
                    Oh I forgot that one!! We get lots of students, and they either put down working just a couple of random hours, or they have open availability!

We've lots many people who were hired, scheduled, and then said they couldn't work those shifts, they had prior commitments. Uh, no you don't. Welcome to working. Oh, and you're fired.

Another one:

- This is retail. It's a lot of work, a lot of crap, and a lot of annoying pieces of humanity for very little pay. Don't apply thinking you'll skyrocket to the top!

We had a girl apply right out of college, and she was miserable. She seemed to think she was worth more than this, and confided in me. I told her daily: almost everyone here has at least a 4 year degree (except me, I'm a drop out cause I'm po and broke ). Welcome to reality.

Oh, and I'm a variety of things. Mainly a small city and such. Like DAY Spa and DAY Trip and DAY Care. I can also be a playwrite and a writer of some term paper.

JF
                    First Lesson I learned from working in a bookstore:
                    People who can read are made of the same rudeness as those who cannot.

Comment

where do you work that people have a 4 year degree? we call those people "managers" at wal mart, unfortunately, you can be an assistant manager with just a degree and no retail experience.

Comment

Sad thing: I've seen people mature enough (older than 25) to know not to do those things.

There seems to be two extremes where I work. If the person is 18-22 years old, most of the time they are lazy and call off alot or just quit with no notice.

The older employees are better overall, but some are worse than some the younger ones.

Comment

It just goes on...

New interview. Nice, polite, has maners, has worked before, knows to bathe, and brushed his teeth! (that's all we ask!)
                          He left one question blank on his application. I am now taking bets on what the question was.

Was It:
                          The drug test question?
                          The have you been convicted question?
                          Or make your own guess.

Check back tommorow for the awnser!

(Hint: He put "yes" down when asked and did not get hired)
                          Keep Going...

Comment

I feel for you Lady.......seems your store just attracts the bottom of the barrel type of applicants.
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Here's one I can think of:

Beware applying to a place you know a former disgruntled coworker/friend/person who loathes you works. SOME places ask around with their employees about an applicant's reputation if that person is local. I saw it happen at my last job. If one has been known to scam from a food joint then has the nerve to apply, they can forget being hired.

(Not to mention my boss at my old job also applied for a manager's position at my new place of employment. Store owner asked my mother if she knew of this man, and she told him her thoughts. His application got trashed. While I wonder if this was truly fair, I can't say I was displeased. I did not want to work around him again.)

Comment

The awnser is..

Quoth Lady Heather View Post
                                New interview. Nice, polite, has maners, has worked before, knows to bathe, and brushed his teeth! (that's all we ask!)
                                He left one question blank on his application. I am now taking bets on what the question was.

Was It:
                                The drug test question?
                                The have you been convicted question?
                                Or make your own guess.

Check back tommorow for the awnser!

(Hint: He put "yes" down when asked and did not get hired)

And the winner is: He left the "Have you ever been convicted" Question blank. He did not know what to put down because he doesn't know if he will be convicted, his case is still ongoing. Oh, and it's a drug case.
                                Keep Going...

Comment

Working...
                                X