This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth ZeoViolet View Post
    While I wonder if this was truly fair, I can't say I was displeased. I did not want to work around him again.
    Perfectly fair, ZeoViolet, if you want my .

An employer has no requirement to hire someone, except that they can't be rejected for being part of a protected status, and the fact that this person would be causing stress, anxiety, and discomfort among their established, trained, and proven employees is all the reason they need to say "no".
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

I am glad you think so.

He had made me very unhappy, talking down on me and treating me as if I had no intelligence, wheras my new job gives me a lot more responsibility than he seemed to think I was capeable of handling, and I do just fine with it.

I worked this new job in tandem with my old for about five weeks, and during this time my mother told me that story (she works at the same place, obviously). Over the last few weeks of my job it took all my willpower NOT to drop this tidbit of information in his ears on the reason why he was not hired. I was grateful he'd not been hired (especially to a management position), but it still somehow felt wrong to slap him in the face with this information, even after I left, however sorely tempted I was.
      Last edited by ZeoViolet; 10-27-2007, 02:20 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Hint for those applying for a cable internet tech support position: when asked what "IP" stands for, don't say, "Internet Provider."
        I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Quoth AKWalMartCartGuy View Post
          where do you work that people have a 4 year degree? we call those people "managers" at wal mart, unfortunately, you can be an assistant manager with just a degree and no retail experience.
          I work at a B&N. It just so happens that most of the people I work with have a degree. Alas, having a degree in Seattle means little. If you get your degree in anything, your options mostly seem to be answering phones. Job hunting sucks.

JF
          First Lesson I learned from working in a bookstore:
          People who can read are made of the same rudeness as those who cannot.

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post
            Hint for those applying for a cable internet tech support position: when asked what "IP" stands for, don't say, "Internet Provider."
            Wouldn't that be "Internet Protocol"? As in Transmission Control Protocol / Internet Protocol (aka, TCP/IP)?
            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post

I thought it was Innings Pitched, but whatever.....:-D

Comment

Intellectual Property! ;P

Comment

Insolent poseur?
                  Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Main topic:

How not to get hired? Ask for an application when you walk in, and a pen.

I'll write "Unprepared. Didn't bring pen. Borrowed mine." at the top of your application.

Sub-topic:

Many years ago I googled myself (or HotBot'ed myself) to learn that I was a model and had been dating Kate Moss. Yesterday I Googled myself and learned that I'm a professional major league baseball player, an executive vice president at Wells Fargo, and a realtor. In my spare time, I've been working at a software company in South Carolina for the past three years.

I guess that explains why I feel so tired all the time.

Sub, sub-topic:

IP ... "Insane Pomegranite"?
                    Last edited by Palsgraf; 10-30-2007, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Oh some more things not to do
                      -apply at any job that requires you use a computer, then do the "hunt and peck" one finger typing method, then do not complain that it is a protected disability (um, no)
                      -apply at a call center when you have a stutter

ways to lose your job quick
                      -refuse to learn how to use the computers at work because they are macs rather than "real computers"
                      -insult guests
                      -work at holiday inn and not know how to use holidex... most of us learned it in 3 days... if after 3 weeks you still don't know how to use it you need to find work elsewhere
                      -likewise, learn how to read the VDN screen on your phone, if you don't know how to handle calls based on where it is coming from, you need to find a job somewhere else.
                      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I don't want to jinx it but we hired someone. He starts tommorow. Praise the Retail gods!!
                        Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
                        The following is subject to change:
                        If Your Going Through Hell,
                        Keep Going...

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post
                          Injured Party?
                          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth Lady Heather View Post
                            I don't want to jinx it but we hired someone. He starts tommorow. Praise the Retail gods!!
                            I jinxed it.
                            Rule # 71 Once hired don't call in sick on your first day.
                            He was interviewed and hired the day before and looked and sounded fine. Next day calls in with "I think it was something I ate." Due to past suckage with applicants we are hopefull, but if he bails out we won't be surprised either. There is a betting pool on rather he shows on Saturday. I got $3.00 on him showing up.

Anyone got some rules of what not to do? If I can get 100 Rules I'm going to print them and hand them out with the applications.
                            Last edited by Lady Heather; 11-03-2007, 11:11 AM. Reason: I need to stop posting at 4 ack emma
                            Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
                            The following is subject to change:
                            If Your Going Through Hell,
                            Keep Going...

Comment

Quoth Lady Heather View Post
                              I jinxed it.
                              Rule # 71 Once hired don't call in sick on your first day.
                              Okay, you have not necessarily jinxed it. Even good people who are good employees occasionally get sick, and sometimes, it really is on the first day. I know that my first day on the job at the brew pub, I almost called off sick, as I felt like death, but I did show up and (barely) made it through the first day.

I am not saying this is the case with Mr. Jinx, but it could be. Keep us posted.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

I was 45 mins late to work on the second day of my current job. Thank You MBTA for making me look like a complete and utter asshole after my company and my bosses had gone well out of their way to help me relocate because of my personal life!

PHEW! Now that that's out of my system. Like Jester said, sometimes things like being sick do happen at the worst possible moments. At least give the guy a chance to come to work before writing him off completely.
                                The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Working...
                                X