Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So... How Many Jobs Have YOU Had This Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So... How Many Jobs Have YOU Had This Year?

I've had a grand total of three. I got let go from the Big Yellow Price Tag way back in January, which has turned out to be a blessing if the horror stories from ex-coworkers can be believed. Next, I had a two-month temp job from the middle of May to shortly before the end of July retagging product for a flooring, kitchen, and bath wholesaler. My final job for 2021 was a short stint with a certain Ohio-based family restaurant chain with a farm theme.

Next year, I start working for a wine & spirit shop. Whew!
    "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

This past year? Just the one, still.
    I had a retail side job from August 2019 through Fall 2020. We had a crisis separate from the pandemic. Our store manager quit in January 2020 after 20+ years with the company. She worked at that store with the Assistant for a very long time and Assistant felt abandoned. She was put upon to help lead but not picked to replace Store Manager so there was bitterness there. I felt like a floating leaf; I'd only been with the company for 5 months. We got a loaner manager from another store and no one could respect her way of doing things. So we had troubles in that regard. There were also rumors of the company going out of business which started in late 2019 or early 2020 so we were losing staff before Covid hit. In the beginning of 2020 they were lining up buyers and I think right before our shut down (April), we found one. But because of Covid they backed out and we ended up going out of business. I think my last shift was in late Summer 2020. I don't remember. I do know we only shut down for 2 weeks and I worked the summer with a mask on. It was a mess because all the bad things were happening at the same time. I think I was emotionally scarred and just plain tired enough that after that retail side gig, I didn't want to work a second job. I made it through on savings.
    Also, I moved in with family in September 2020 so that saves me enough that I don't have to work 2 jobs but I might in the future.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Just tow, started with Hallmark in January, which at $11.70/hr was a great improvement over my old job... except that they could only find me 8-10 hours a week. Went back to the auto parts company, different store, different position, less work, more money than the last time.
      Seph
      Taur10
      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

I've been with the same employer since Feb 2020, just moved up a bit through the ranks and work mostly at the spa portion of the business than the hotel. I know I've been one of the lucky ones because with being the newest member of staff when we had to close due to the pandemic I could very easily have been without a job like several of my former coworkers. I've been keeping an eye on the local job postings to see what is out there in the event that I find myself needing to go elsewhere.

Comment

Uh, none. I'm retired, pretty much.

I did apply for a few jobs that seemed interesting enough, but never heard back from them.
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Just the one, self-employed. It's amusing, I pay more in taxes working for myself than I ever did as a corporate shill.
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I'm on the other end. Last October marked 15 years with the same employer. I was only planning to stay there a few years, then look for something better. Then the economy collapsed.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Just the tax prep job. There was the unpaid one with my late MILhttps://www.customerssuck.com/board/...ack-up-for-air
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                  I'm on the other end. Last October marked 15 years with the same employer. I was only planning to stay there a few years, then look for something better. Then the economy collapsed.
                  coming up on 17 YEARS shoot me now
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                    I was at the Big Yellow Price Tag for that long.
                    "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Two part-time jobs. One, the home business selling stuff on eBay. It's so nice to be able to block problem customers!

Two, a part-time bookkeeping job, away from customers. Yes, I'm much happier now.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                      X