No announcement yet.

Would like thoughts and feedback on husband's recent job performance evaluation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like thoughts and feedback on husband's recent job performance evaluation

Warning:

Long post

My husband works for a *well known non profit organization* at one of their resale stores as a floor associate.

Earlier this week he received his job performance evaluation.

The store manager did everyones job performance evaluation.

I would like thoughts and feedback on his job performance evaluation.

Career Planning: What job(s) or job duties would you like to learn over the next 12 months?

My husband replied Anything and everything. I am willing to learn new things

1) Job knowledge: Understanding in all phases of the work

Policies

Managers answer: knows job very well

Employer mission

Jobs job adequately

Customer service/staff relations

Procedures

Managers answer: knows job adequately

Product knowledge

Pricing/product sorting

Suggestive selling/work ideas

Closing the sale/completing projects

Managers answer: Charles does a good job.. Charles can work on upsaling *those are the store managers words* and closing the sales with customers

2) Quality: Performance in all phases of the work

Care and pride

Daily functions

Neatness

Managers answer: improvement needed

Completion of tasks

Contribution to improve

Cash handling/loss prevention

# of tasks completed

Processing donors materials

Cashiering/loss prevention

4) Follows instructions: Works well with given instructions

Working independently

Understanding direction

Asks questions

Completes assignments

Comment from manager: Charles workds well alone. Charles can work on cutting down talk time with customers and getting back to completing tasks.

I asked him if customers initiate conversations or does he inititate conversations with customers. He said both

5) Cooperation: Willingness to cooperate and work with others

Willingness to cooperate

Hear and see opposing views

Assist others

Recognizes agency needs

Comment from manager: Charles can working on hearing criticism

6) Leadership: potential ability to lead and teach others

Ability to delegate

Instruction to staffing

Encourages employees

Motivates others

Role model

comment from manager: Charles has the ability to lead if he is able to work on agency needs daily

7) Dependability: Can be counted on to get the job done

Completes assignments

Managers response: knows job very well

Present when needed

Can be counted on

Comment from manager: Charles works his schedule

8) Attendance: Statues on Absenteeism

Complies with work schedule

Managers answer: Charlies is always on time

Follows policy

Tardiness

Managers answer: Charles in never been late *those are the exact words the store manager used*

No call/no show

Managers answer: Charles has no NCNS

9) Safety: Compliance with safety and standards rules

Maintains safe and clean area

Practices safe work habits

Managers answer: improvement required

Teaches safety

Reports injuries

comment from store manager: Charles does a good job when he asks questions

Goals

No goals were added to the review

Feedback

No feedback was added to the review

Final score is 2.928

OK let's have a look. Firstly has the manager had some chip implanted to restrict his vocabulary to just 50 words? It's quite poorly phrased-someone 'knowing the job very well' is different to them 'performing that aspect of the job very well'.Some of the answers contradict each other-he wants Charles to 'work on upsaling [sic] and closing the deal with customers',but he also wants him to cut down on talk time with customers? We can take it I assume that Charles' conversations with the customers are about the products or encouraging them to make a sale and he's not just trying to avoid tasks by discussing the latest episode of the Kardashians with them.

If the review is supposed to judge Charles' performance and see how he can be a better employee, it fails miserably.It doesn't tell Charles anything useful.In the areas that have been marked as 'knows job adequately' or 'needs to improve' it would be beneficial to specify WHY improvement is needed in those areas and HOW he can improve his knowledge or perfomance. For some sections that'd be vital-for example where it states 'improvement is needed' on 'maintaining a safe,clean area' and 'practicing safe work habits'.What is it he is doing that is not safe and how can that be eliminated(we can assume that by needs to improve his safety,that he hasn't managed to leave things lying around to impale staff or customers, burn the place down or send them plummeting down the stairs...)

Where defined answers have been given,it makes it much easier to pick up on strengths or weaknesses-'Charles has never been late and never had a NCNS'-that's nice and straightforward and explains it succinctly. What a pity they couldn't have used that in the other questions!

Also,he apparently needs to improve on 'leading and teaching others' and 'ability to delegate'-as a floor associate, I wouldn't've thought there would have been many people that he could delegate to(not including the shop cat).Is he actually in charge of any other employees that he can lead and teach and does he have the seniority to be able to pass tasks onto other staff to do?

There are no goals and no feedback-has the manager got no advice for him whatsoever? Even an assessment of 'these are Charles' strengths and these are what he needs to work on. Goals are to maintain his performance in the areas he has performed well and improve on those areas that need it by doing XYZ, so that by the time of the next review he will either have maintained or improved his score' would give SOME advice as to what needs to be done...

The final score is 2.928-do we know what that's out of? Is that a good,bad or indifferent score?

I'm sure other folk will chip in with things I've overlooked or give other suggestions
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Thank you for your response.

What you wrote is what I have issues with

No, Charles is not in a supervisory role

He is not in charge of any employees that he can lead and teach

He does not have the seniority to do that

If you were Charles, what would you tell the store manager who did the evaluation?
      Last edited by MadMike; 10-12-2023, 03:55 PM.

Comment

It sounds like the rating scale is similar to where I work. 2.5 - 3.5 is typical. If you get a 4, you are a demi-god. Only God himself gets a 5. Less than 2.5 and you should start looking for a new job. You won't have this one long.

For her first review, I gave my kohai a 3.2. She flipped her shit, I told her "This is not ebay. You don't get 5 stars for doing your job." 2.928 is not bad. A little pretentious to use three decimals.

Looks to me like the review was a lazy attempt. It probably is not doing your husband harm, but it certainly is not providing much benefit. It doesn't look like the SM is out to tank your husband, but he doesn't want to help either.

It might help to ask the SM for mentoring. "I want to improve. What can I do?" You did state "comment from store manager: Charles does a good job when he asks questions" So, ask questions,

I would also seek out senior employees and ask for advice and mentoring.

All in all, I don't see this as a reason to run, but it certainly is not a reason to stay.

Good luck!
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
          Looks to me like the review was a lazy attempt. It probably is not doing your husband harm, but it certainly is not providing much benefit. It doesn't look like the SM is out to tank your husband, but he doesn't want to help either.
          When my old workplace had numerical ratings, above a certain number required an explanation....come to think of it below another number required that as well (which is how we ended up with a loser who consistently clocked in late and drunk every day--he was finally dumped after multiple assaults on staff).
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

When I worked for the Air Force, if an officer didn't get all 9s on their evaluation they were considered washed up, and their military career was over.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
            X