Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember once a while back there was a schoolboy who fell over the side of the escalators in the Myer Centre in Adelaide. He had his backpack hanging over the edge of the handrail, and it cause him to overbalance, and essentially pulled him over.

Since then they've added really high glass guards to all the railing in the centre, and you can't see the bottom floor for all the white sails and netting that's strung between floors now to catch anyone who might fall.

Comment

one more reason to hate people! The only people I feel sorry for are the little girl and the people who had to watch it happen. I only see children fall out of shopping carts -- I can't imagine watching one fall that far. I hope your nightmares aren't too bad tonight.
      ANNIE

Every day I work with you is two days of therapy!!!!!

Comment

Quoth Arucard View Post
        I remember once a while back there was a schoolboy who fell over the side of the escalators in the Myer Centre in Adelaide. He had his backpack hanging over the edge of the handrail, and it cause him to overbalance, and essentially pulled him over.
        That's what the media told us, but I heard he also got a push from one of the bullies from his school.

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
          The realist believes that she got tired of waiting for him, told him to come, then walked away and left him, thinking that scaring the crap out of the kid would teach him to behave better next time.
          At work one night I saw a little girl running around, crying and looking lost. Now I don't really like kids much, nevertheless I walked up to her, knelt down to eye level and asked if she was lost. I took her to the service desk and told the supervisor there.
          I walked off, my job done. But as I looked outside the store I saw a lady standing with her hands on her hips, as if she waiting for someone.
          I was fuckin pissed off
          If for any reason you're not satisfied with our service, I hate you.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
            That's what the media told us, but I heard he also got a push from one of the bullies from his school.
            I'd believe it, considering what I went through before I went from small and chubby to big and stocky.

"Bully" is just a cutsie word they use because it's not 'nice' to call a 'sweet little child' a sadistic asshole.
            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Wanna take bets on this kid doing something daring-dumb anytime in the next couple years? My bet is....no.

On the upside, kids are resilient. She'll be ok. Might have a phobia of edges for awhile.
              ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Further Update: Little girl has been upgraded to fair condition. She is out of the ICU, but still in the hospital.
                Expect great things, but you'll get what you get.

PossJB

Comment

That poor little girl! I hope she gets better. That woman calls herself a mother after letting that girl out of her sight and falling from the escalator?!!! I hope to god that woman gets charged for child negligence!!!
                  I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

The most interesting (and confusing) part is that the girl wasn't on the escalator. She was beside it and somehow climbed over a barrier taller than she was.

PossJB

Comment

MODs, feel free to remove this as the links are to news articles containing names of people and the business.

Anyone else interested, these are the three articles the local paper posted about the accident (in chronological order):

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs...020325/-1/COMM

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs...030330/-1/COMM

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs...080317/-1/COMM

PossJB

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                        That poor little girl! I hope she gets better. That woman calls herself a mother after letting that girl out of her sight and falling from the escalator?!!! I hope to god that woman gets charged for child negligence!!!
                        Look I'll be frank because I'm tired. I'm getting a little sick of the whole blame the parents shens that get flung around. She should've done this, parent should've done that. Do you know how easy it is for a child to go off running and all the sudden disappear? How easy it is for them to wander off out of mere curiosity when you've your back turned looking at the size of an item on a rack?

I got lost a few times as a kid. In one instance, I managed to walk down 2 miles of beach away from my mother (who thought she saw me from behind, me and a similar looking little girl had the same bathing suits). If I had heard just one adult say "Why weren't you watching your child! I hope child services takes her away!" i would've kicked them, becuase I wandered off, it's my fault, I fucked up. These things happen.

Ohh boy tangent. Its just I guess I see it everywhere. Blame the parents blah blah blah... kids just get themselves in deep crap in the blink of an eye sometimes.

Comment

I'll have to agree. Say what you want about what the mother was doing, but right now her little girl is severly hurt, and she is going through hell.

PossJB

Comment

Happens here as well........

Posted this awhile back. Same thing almost happened.

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ead.php?t=4776
                            Fan? This is shit. Shit? Meet fan.

Comment

Little girl is well enough to go home. This is probably the last update I'll be able to get, but it has ended better than I expected it to. It's hard to imagine it's been more than two weeks since it happened. Some of the people around here that were close to it are still having issues. Good thing counseling is available.

Link to news article: http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs...NEWS/807160325

PossJB

Comment

Quoth PossJB View Post
                                Little girl is well enough to go home. This is probably the last update I'll be able to get, but it has ended better than I expected it to. It's hard to imagine it's been more than two weeks since it happened. Some of the people around here that were close to it are still having issues. Good thing counseling is available.

Link to news article: http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs...NEWS/807160325
                                Just saw this update. It's damn good to hear that the girl is doing better.

The employee who tried to catch her needs to be heralded from the rooftops. Regardless of whether or not she managed to help, she tried, and that matters.

Eric the Grey
                                In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Working...
                                X