This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer says baaaang.

Okay. I’ve had my fair share of shit just happening to me at work. I’ve had 240 Volts up my arm, I’ve had computers catch fire on me, and I have been on the receiving end of Ade’s bastardised version of the English language a few times.

A customer comes in with a computer they have bought about half an hour ago. It won’t display anything. So I drop it on my bench to test it. Low and behold...nothing. Powers up, the fans rev, but no display.

Now, the normal thing you would do here is open it up, take out the memory, take out the graphics card, disconnect the drives, THEN power the computer up. Most computers will give you a “Beep code” which is basically the motherboard saying “I’m okay, but there is another error stopping me from working”

I took the memory out and this is how it went

Ade: s’up with that, Botch?
    Me: Power, no display and no post
    Ade: Fucking marvellous. How old?
    Me: 30 minutes
    Ade: fine. See if you can sort them out
    Me: Thats what I’m doing :-P *Re-connects the power and turns the machine on*
    Computer: WhiiiiiRRRRRRRRRRN....Beeeeeeeeeeep-BANG!!!
    Me: *Jumps back*
    Ade: That don’t sound too clever
    Me: Fuckin power supply just went
    Ade: Went? Fuckers probably in orbit by now. Bastard. If you’ve fucked up Sky TV, I’ll kick shit outta ya.
    Me: Bollocks to you, Ade
    Ade: I keep tellin’ ya, I ain’t interested in your bollocks. Dirty Fucker

Needless to say, the computer was replaced. Thankfully, the customer actually thought the whole situation was quite funny. She was just glad it didn’t go bang on her.
    -The one, The Only, AdvancedFlea-

Stick that in your blog and smoke it.

A guide for customers about retail

Eep! *Blink-blink* ....I had my first Dell do that on me!
    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Yeah, computers will do that somtimes, Particually new ones. Electronics have a high infant mortality rate. they either go within the first few weeks of use or they last forever. Think about the fridge in your kitchen. How long has that been sitting there, happily whirring away?

Comment

Quoth AdvancedFlea View Post
        Yeah, computers will do that somtimes, Particually new ones. Electronics have a high infant mortality rate. they either go within the first few weeks of use or they last forever. Think about the fridge in your kitchen. How long has that been sitting there, happily whirring away?
        Thank you for providing me with proof that I'm correct in never buying an extended warrrenty!
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
          Thank you for providing me with proof that I'm correct in never buying an extended warrrenty!
          lol. I would recomend the extended warrenties purely because there are times when that rule is wrong but to be honest, there are only certain things it is worth it on. usually devices where it's either gonna cost a fortune if it does break (LCD TV, Laptops...) or things with mechanical copmponents (Washing machine, dishwasher etc)

Comment

I had a CRT do that once...it was quite a surprise, running along one second in EQ without a care and the next minute BANG! and sitting in the pitch black smelling smoke.
            "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
            - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Quoth Fire_on_High View Post
              I had a CRT do that once...it was quite a surprise, running along one second in EQ without a care and the next minute BANG! and sitting in the pitch black smelling smoke.
              thats one thing I like about LCDs. when they go, they tend not to go bang. They just fizzle, smell like burning silicone then blow the fuse in the plug.

Comment

7 months. But before that it spent 15 years in the kitchen of the people we bought it from.

Comment

The last time I saw a monitor blow (CRT) was about 12 years ago, it cleared a room of about 30 people. My dog it smelt awful! Thankfully it cleared after a couple of hours and we could continue to look as if we were working on our computer course again.
                  As soon as I start thinking
                  That I'm sensible and sane
                  The Random Hedgehog comes along
                  And fiddles with my Brain
                  (from card I got)

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                    7 months. But before that it spent 15 years in the kitchen of the people we bought it from.
                    ...that just emphasises my point XD

I dunno about in america, but over here (UK) if you buy somthing and you want it to last, you look for a symbol that says "Energy Efficiancy recomended" http://www.walsall.gov.uk/energy_logo.gif if you buy somthing with that on, it's supposed to last a good few years and save you a few quid too ^^;

Quoth Lady Legira View Post
                    Thankfully it cleared after a couple of hours and we could continue to look as if we were working on our computer course again.
                    yeah, a combination of toasted electronics and the dust inside it will stink lol. just open some windows

Comment

I remember one of the computer 'know it alls' at school flicked a switch on the back of a unit.

Unfortunately it changed the transformer inside from 230v to 110v.

Big bang, smoke and dust, and one very embarresed chap.
                      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Yeah, I saw that happen at school too. was one of the students who did it, and he knew perfectly well what he was doing. I hated that guy.

Comment

I dunno about in america, but over here (UK) if you buy somthing and you want it to last, you look for a symbol that says "Energy Efficiancy recomended" http://www.walsall.gov.uk/energy_logo.gif if you buy somthing with that on, it's supposed to last a good few years and save you a few quid too ^^;
                          Energy Star, love. That's what it's called here.

My current fridge has lasted.....uhm....30 years? 20? I dunno. I did buy me a freezer this past Feb. though.
                          Last edited by RetailWorkhorse; 07-21-2008, 03:02 PM. Reason: quoting fixed
                          Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

I've heard six computers blow their power supply, and two of them were mine. One of them went so spectacularly, I just had to open up the blown supply to see what had happened. Turns out, a capacitor had blown so hard that half the rubber/plastic casing on it was gone, and it had knocked a small, capacitor-sized dent in the casing. It sounded like a metal balloon popping when it went.
                            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                              Energy Star, love.
                              We have energy star over here, but only for computers. Everythihg else is board of energy efficiancy

Quoth Geek King View Post
                              ...Turns out, a capacitor had blown so hard that half the rubber/plastic casing on it was gone, and it had knocked a small, capacitor-sized dent in the casing...
                              Thats what happens when capacitors blow they are not the quietest of devices when they come to the end of their useful life. "Shall I go quietly? No KABLEWIE!" lol

I live by a powerstation. you think it's loud when a 240Volt capacitor goes...try one thats running at 480 000. allthough while it's fun, it tends to knock out the power AND sensitive electrical equipment (like the LNB on your sky TV dish) never work again (EMP caused by the blast wipes them out)

Comment

Working...
                              X