Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone get racial insults tossed at you that are not your race?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I dislike the Quebec government's stances on several issues, I would prefer to be back in Ontario where I grew up and lived for 29 of my 31 years, and I REALLY hate the anti-anglophone bigotry that encompasses about half the province, it's where I have to live for now, and I'd rather not secede from my country
    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Truth to tell, the only ignorance I noticed this last time I was over was in Quebec City itself. The guy who help pull my snowmobile out of the landscape? Francophone Quebeci, but a very, very nice man. All the staff in the hotel? Same, but very nice people.

I made a note in the ski trip write-up to this effect - it's very much like France in that respect. The countryside French are great, but the Parisians give them a bad name through arrogance and xenophobia.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth ArenaBoy View Post
        Does it count if I took a trip up there for a week to Quebec City? I got made fun of because of me speaking France's French and not Canada's French. Good lord, those were some awkward moments.
        I did say retarded.
        I got beaten up at school for speaking proper french. In a french school.
        Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Apparently, the French taught in schools outside of Quebec province is Parisian French, which is the type I promptly forgot.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
            Apparently, the French taught in schools outside of Quebec province is Parisian French, which is the type I promptly forgot.

Rapscallion
            It was beaten and kicked out of me.
            It was either switch to joual, or learn to use dentures at age 7.

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

I've been called a few things in my time, most recently "You damned commie bastard." I forget what the guy wanted, but I think he was upset that I wouldn't accept his tax exempt status on his word alone with no written proof. My retort was "Your point being?"

In short: I am a communist.

Family wise though, I've got French on my mother's side, and German on my father's. Family reunions are always interesting. My father's side of the family tends to get drunk and wake up having invaded Poland; while my mother's side just surrenders at the first belch.

Kidding...just kidding.

There's some tie to the french crown on my mother's side though. Distant cousin or something.
              Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

I once had an ignoramus come through my register complaing about the f*cking Canadians visiting; he wished all those f*ckers would all go home. I promptly stopped scanning his items and put up the closed sign and started to walk away.

He asked where I was going.

My reply: Sorry, I am one of those f*cking Canadians that you are referring to.

I have never seen someone sink so low with embarassment in my life. The loser deserved it.

There are a lot of people around here (Downeast Maine) that refer to black people as "coloureds". That really irks me.
                The customer is always right until I decide he isn't.

Comment

Quoth Canadian In Maine View Post
                  There are a lot of people around here (Downeast Maine) that refer to black people as "coloureds". That really irks me.
                  To be fair, I suspect that some of them aren't using it in a bad way. It's just what black people used to be called by the majority of the people, including the blacks. (It's the "C" part of the NAACP.) Maine has a more relaxed pace than most of the country. While people in D.C. and the big universities think that renaming a problem (either a perceived one or a real one) will fix the problem, and much of the rest of the country will follow suit, people from Maine know better, and don't see the point in really trying to learn the euphamism du jour.

(Can "African-American" please die a mercifully swift death soon? It's embarrasing when your politicians ask the French* how the African-Americans in France feel about something.)

* Or any non-US country, really. France was the one I actually heard where it happened, but I'm sure there have been/will be others.

Comment

Quoth Canadian In Maine View Post
                    I once had an ignoramus come through my register complaing about the f*cking Canadians visiting; he wished all those f*ckers would all go home. I promptly stopped scanning his items and put up the closed sign and started to walk away.

"And therefore, per your request, I am going home!"

Comment

• Not a customer, but a few years back when I was in an AIM chat room, I had some guy (who also claimed to be involved with the Mafia) try to insult me by insisting that I was a gay Jewish man.

Comment

• Quoth Rapscallion View Post

I made a note in the ski trip write-up to this effect - it's very much like France in that respect. The countryside French are great, but the Parisians give them a bad name through arrogance and xenophobia.
                        I was drinking with some Basque guys in a bar in Biarritz and commented on how friendly the reception for English people was, compared to some other parts of France(i.e. Paris). One of the men pointed out that a) they were Basques and not French and b) they all hated Parisians as well, so by default, all enemies of the Parisians were their friends. And then we all had another drink...
                        A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                        - Dave Barry

Comment

• Here, blacks are blacks, whites are whites, coloureds are coloureds, etc etc. You can't just say "African" to denote skin colour here. I'm an African, dammit! My family has been for over 6 generations!
                          As for the insult thing, when I was little and the National Party was still in power, I was called a (sorry for the bad language) "Kaffir-lover" because I had a black friend. I never really grasped the reasoning behind racism...*shakes head*
                          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

• Quoth Canadian In Maine View Post

I have never seen someone sink so low with embarassment in my life. The loser deserved it.
                            I'll invite him to live in south Florida with me for a week. I've lived in Maine (Orono, UMaine) and now I'm here (plus New Hampshire and New Jersey in between). Trust me, Canadians are a piece of cake, at least they (well, except the Quebeqois) speak English.

Oh no, it's not just Spanish, you have Español Cubano, Español Puerto Rican, Español de Americano Central, and Creole (part French) and then you throw in all the French Canadians, oh boy! ¿Quien aquí habla Ingles?

My background, 1/4 French-Canadian (I take pills for it, Canukicillin) and 3/4 Irish. Intersting how those two are the ONLY racist terms that aren't thrown at me (along with the white ones). I've had the N word thrown at me (I don't even have a tan!), spic (I don't look Spanish!) one customer even called me a "Puto Latino"!! Come on! At least call me whitey, cracker, or something!!!
                            Quote Dalesys:
                            ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

• Quoth draggar View Post
                              Oh no, it's not just Spanish, you have Español Cubano, Español Puerto Rican, Español de Americano Central, and Creole (part French) and then you throw in all the French Canadians, oh boy!
                              We could add in Castellaño (South America) to complete the set... and for those who don't know, yes, they are all essentially different languages that share a common spelling.

Comment

• Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                                We could add in Castellaño (South America) to complete the set... and for those who don't know, yes, they are all essentially different languages that share a common spelling.
                                Don't forget Portugese for the Brazillians...

Plus, there's Spanglish also.

But, no Castillian Spanish (from Spain).

Plus another dialect that I"m starting to learn about, somthing about "Arrow Throwers"?
                                Quote Dalesys:
                                ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
                                X