This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NA:
    Go to the grocery store and buy yourself a bunch of flowers. You deserve it!!!!!!

Good job, and I'm glad someone sees you for what you are: smart, hard working, and DAMN GOOD AT IT!!!

Cutenoob
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

YAY!!! See? someone finally appreciates what you're capable of and your fantastic work ethic!
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Not everyone is happy about this...

Actually, none of the other employees know about my promotion yet.
        However, there is one guy, a Shift Lead, who has been there for quite some time I've come to find out. He's, well, not cutting it. Anyhoo~ it became quite clear to me last night that he feels threatened by me and he kept pointing out that he'd, "been here a LONG time" etc.

The problem is that he has developed some bad habits under the old management and he thinks that he should be able to continue them. He thinks he's immune to the changes that are taking place and that he'll outlast us all- or something. Whatever.

He is a nice guy- really. We like him. We've agreed to really try and get him up to speed with doing things the right way. We want him to work out. We also realize that either he has to change or he has to go.

I told my boss last night that I think that he's going to be Passive-Aggressive in resisting me as a manager over him. I think I'm going to be contending with a lot of being totally ignored.

I don't like being ignored. Don't get me wrong- I certainly don't want a Yes Man or anything.
        It's just going to be an uphill battle is all.
        "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
        HellGate: London

Comment

Well, we all know how this will end. You said yourself that "he has to change or he has to go."

He'll most likely break against you. No way is this guy mentally stronger than you. If he's just to lazy to bother to change, remember, you tried, so don't feel too bad when you go for the long-distance punting record as he gets tossed.

And if he's like one of those bad pennies that keeps popping up, there's a bunch of lying around here. Borrow one!
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I know how you feel. I am a senior manager at my new job. The woman who had the junior position in my section had been switched to another department.

She can't let go. She keeps telling me (wrong) how to do my job.
            I have mentioned it to my boss, she reassures me that I was hired for a reason. To make sure things get done right.

Now let me clear something up, she is not telling me the wrong way to get me in trouble. She has bad habits from the last store manager.

I am going to lose it with her if she doesn't learn that it isn't her job anymore.
            "There is no rehab for stupidity." --Chris Rock
            "You learn something new and stupid every day you work in retail."--IhateCrappyTire

Comment

my friend worked for Movie Warehouse before they went away, atleast around here.
              When it was slow, they played return football with the movies.
              Guy 1, would stand behind the counter, and call out the movie, guy two would run to the section, it was to be in, as close as he could, while still catching the movie that was getting chucked at him. THey never dropped any of them, nor did they ever get caught.
              http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
              Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

ZumZum- seems we're basically in the same boat. I hope you're the one with the oars.

symposes- While it sounds like fun it also sounds like a great way to dislodge the DVDs from their holder and scratch them up. Then I have to listen to people whie, "It got to chapter 5 and glitched up- I want a refund and a pony!"
                "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314

Comment

this was 8 years ago or so... they only had a handful of dvds, it was mostly vhs... heh
                  http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
                  Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

Quoth NightAngel View Post
                    ZumZum- seems we're basically in the same boat. I hope you're the one with the oars.
                    Don't worry, I plan to be.
                    Oh yeah, I got you a set of oars for yourself (just in case).
                    "There is no rehab for stupidity." --Chris Rock
                    "You learn something new and stupid every day you work in retail."--IhateCrappyTire

Comment

Thanks ZumZum.

Tonight one of the other managers asked me how I wanted something done and I basically said, "Whatever you want." He said, "No, but I want to know because you're more important than me now."

My jaw dropped.

I said, "Ah, no. I don't think of it that way."
                      Him: "Oh, I know you don't."
                      Me: "Uhm, I don't want anyone to think of it that way."

I got a promotion so now I'm "more important" than another manager? What kind of weirdness is that?

~TechSmith 314

Comment

Quoth NightAngel View Post
                        I got a promotion so now I'm "more important" than another manager? What kind of weirdness is that?
                        There are some people who strongly crave an understandable line of authority. They don't care where exactly they fit into it, but they want to know who they have to respect and who has to respect them.

The good ones do it because they simply want a defined sense of their place in the world. The bad ones do it so they know who they have to suck up to and who has to suck up to them.

Then there are the born rebels, who resist whatever you say. The good ones recognize when you have good ideas, and understand, even if they don't like it, when someone in a position of authority says "because that's the way it will be". The other ones ("a rebel without a clue") are a real pain to work with, or have working under you.

Comment

Working...
                        X