This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried About My Job

Hey guys, I hope you had a good day yesterday.

Today it's snowing. Not a lot, but enough that you don't really want to be out in the roads if you don't have to. They said it would be six to eight inches. I was supposed to work the late shift tonight. My mom told me that I might want to think about calling out. She had just left for work, when she got the call that her store was closed for the day. I waited a little while longer, just to see if the snow would let up. Just as I picked up the phone to call my employer she called me. She wanted to know if I could come in earlier. I told her that I didn't feel comfortable driving on the roads, today, so I wasn't going to be there.

She told me that since I'm there temporarily, the holiday pay doesn't affect me (if you're there permanently, apparently if you call out for any reason you don't get paid for the holidays). I'm still worried that I may be out of a job after the holidays, though. Like they're keeping us on a list and since I called out I just got moved onto the list of people they won't call back. It may be nothing at all, but it's very hard for me to find a job anywhere for some reason, even if a place of business is hiring, so I really need this. I feel bad for calling out, but if I don't feel comfortable driving in that snow then I'm not going to risk it. I'm already a pretty lousy driver on the road in good weather.
    Check out my art: http://mechanicold.deviantart.com/

Boy that stinks. It's a total no-win situation no matter how you look at it.

But if you're not comfortable then call out, your safety is more important than anything else.

Comment

You can't change the weather or the fact that you had reason to call in. But now is when stores will start letting seasonal staff go, so put your best foot forward and make yourself shine. The next time you're able to go in and work, talk to management and let them know you realize it was a difficult situation and that you're interested in being brought on full time and would like input on what you can do to make that happen. Sometimes showing an active interest makes all the difference. Good luck!
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'm actually glad that I did call out, because no snowplows came into my housing development, and by three there were no cars passing through. Had I actually gone in for my shift, it would have been nearly impossible to get back into the area where I live.

All I can do now is to just do my best, which I had been doing anyway. If they ask me if I can stay longer for any upcoming shifts I'll go ahead and stay later. I don't think I'm a terrible employee, but you never know what one thing will make them change their minds.

Comment

I know how you feel for a different reason. I had to call out sick twice during the seasonal contract and I'm sure its going to count against me.

I'm the last one to find out since I didn't work Christmas Eve. Eek!

Good luck. I hope you get kept on.
          I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Man, that sucks if they do count it against you. It's not like it was your choice to get sick. That's what I hate about being new at a job. You get paranoid about where you stand.

I'm not so worried about it now. At least four people (three regulars and another seasonal employee) had called out on either Sunday or Monday, and there may have been more call outs than I was aware of. I think two of them didn't even call to say they weren't coming; they just never showed up.

Comment

Quoth SourRobot View Post
              Thanks, guys. I'm actually glad that I did call out, because no snowplows came into my housing development, and by three there were no cars passing through. Had I actually gone in for my shift, it would have been nearly impossible to get back into the area where I live.

All I can do now is to just do my best, which I had been doing anyway. If they ask me if I can stay longer for any upcoming shifts I'll go ahead and stay later. I don't think I'm a terrible employee, but you never know what one thing will make them change their minds.
              Yeah, calling out for ANY reason can really screw you during the holidays, whether you are seasonal or full time. I worked an ER shift with full blown influenza and a temp of 103 on New Year's Eve because I was threatened with termination if I didn't.

Staying later whenever asked, or filling in if someone else calls out could well redeem you so if the opportunity comes, take it. If nothing else, ask for a personal letter of recommendation from your manager (assuming you get along well) to help you find a new job if you aren't asked on full time. It might help you find a new job.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
              X