Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kind of music does your job play?

my job mostly plays country alot now. which annoys me and alot of other people. we also have a station for oldies and a mix of oldies, new music(1990s-now) and country. seems like half the managers really like country because no matter what station it is on, they will switch it to country. i tired of the same old damn song and most of its is depressing.

PS - i like country a little bit but not enough to stand listening to it for 8 hrs a day mulitple days a week.

We have two choices: Horrible Muzak and Horrible Christmas Muzak
    free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

Comment

Nothing cept at Christmas, then it's the dreaded Christmas CD.
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth IhateCrappyTire View Post
        We have two choices: Horrible Muzak and Horrible Christmas Muzak
        Those are also the only choices at my job.

That said, I probably shouldn't complain. For a brief time our in-store muzak was the same crappy tunes we have now, but all played as Kenny G-esque instumentals.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

BN corporate mandates the music. They send new titles each month, and they generally are kept in rotation for a few months before they are given away to employees (they keep a sign up sheet and it's first come first serve). Generally the music is whatever opera/classical/pop standard/semi-light rock they are pushing. Andrea Boccelli, Josh Groban, Barry Manilow, KT Tunstall. Sometimes soundtracks if there is a big movie with store-appropriate music coming out. When the RENT movie came out they made a mix of some of the songs that could be played for the general public, but realized after a few weeks that one of them wasn't so appropriate after all so they pulled it. My last month there, last May, one of the CDs was KT Tunstall...I still change the station whenever she comes on the radio
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

We have no music (call center and all) but my neighbor listens to ESPN radio all day--which I rather enjoy, most of the time.

Also, we have the world's most random hold music. Some days its really good and I am content to stay on hold all day listening to Seal and other random 90's music, other days we're stuck with obnoxious 80's dance music.
            "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

The only place I worked at that had music was The Gaming Store. For a while, we had to listen to the Buffy musical soundtrack. (It was okies, but really, after hearing it for 5 hours a day/5 days a week for 6 months *le sigh*). Otherwise we listened to all sorts of soundtracks from like Lord of the Rings, Conan, Star Wars, etc. It was to promote an impromptu(sp?) game And it certainly did on more than one occassion!

Comment

I'm in charge of the stereo. I like to keep Glenn Miller, Guy Lombardo, and Santo and Johnny in the rotation.
                You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Oh lots of stuff Nirvana, Metallica, 50 Cent, Disturbed, Blondie........Oh did I mention I clean rooms and get to bring my mp3 player to work..
                  My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

At the country park; we played a local radio station that used to mostly play oldies, like the Beatles, Stones, Yardbirds etc. Not too bad.

At the garden centre; Argh. Constantly looped tape of 10 panpiped musak "hits", cept for Christmas when it was a constantly looped tape of 10 panpiped Christmas "hits". I'm sure I went slightly insane working in that. Even now the sound of panpipes sends me into psychotic fury.

At the pizza place; another local radio station with a playlist of about 15 crappy chart pop hits with the occasional good song. Drove me insane, however it wasn't on very loud so I could tune it out. If I worked a day, I could bring in my own tunes as long as they didn't have swears, so I brought in Kiss mostly.
                    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                    My DeviantArt.

Comment

I am super lucky. We have muzak piped in, but it's great stuff. Stuff like Jem, Corinne Bailey Ray, John Mayer. Stuff like that. I LOVE it.

Every store in the company is playing the same song at the same time, it's funny.
                      "There is no rehab for stupidity." --Chris Rock
                      "You learn something new and stupid every day you work in retail."--IhateCrappyTire

Comment

Since our store is a small mom 'n' pop operation, we just have a radio going, and my boss doesn't care what station we have it set to. At first, I'd set it to my favorite classic rock station, but recently, I've started transmitting the contents of my iPod over it using an FM transmitter I built from a kit. There aren't too many other stores where you're likely to hear the likes of King Crimson, Van Der Graaf Generator, or Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come as you shop for cigarettes and lottery tickets...
                        -Adam
                        Goofy music!
                        Old tech junk!

Comment

we sell "the museum collection" 5 classical cds

mozart
                          hayden
                          vavaldi
                          spanish guitar music
                          tchaikosky

all year, every single day, with no changes..... execpt when the insane one is gone, then we have a single jazz cd we can listen to... woop woop
                          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

In the store it's typically stuff like Tina Turner, etc. Makes me want to shoot myself (or at least the speakers). They tend to crank it up so high that the speaker directly above my counter drowns out customers too. Though occasionally they'll toss on an 80s/90s rock station for a bit.

However, my cellphone doubles as an mp3 player and even came with a stereo headset (Motorola RAZR V3m, I've added a 1GB card to it). If I'm not working at one of the counters (i.e. I'm working in the kitchen), or the store isn't open (i.e. I'm closing or opening), you better believe I have Rage Against The Machine or Tool blasting through my headphones loud enough to drown out the world.

Comment

Listen to classic rock pretty much all day. It does get a little old, the same songs that have been played and played tof 20-30 years is playing every night.

At my old job, I worked with a bunch of young hispanic girls and they BLASTED reggaeton and hip-hop music to the public. It got on my nerves, especially since our customer demographic was mostly white middle aged people and none of them want to hear that crap, let alone me who doesn't like that music.

Comment

Working...
                              X