This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Merriweather View Post
    And for those mentioning the 12 Days of Christmas, I like the craative ones with other gifts rather than the traditional. My favourite is by Allen Sherman, it's definitely an old one, as the frist gift is a "Japanese transister radio".
    This Dr. Demento Christmas CD has both the Allan Sherman version and the Bob & Doug McKenzie version (On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me...a beer!). Also has the Hippo song, Weird Al's "Christmas At Ground Zero" and Cheech & Chong's "Santa Claus and His Old Lady". That's a CD that gets played every Christmas in our household, needless to say!
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
      This Dr. Demento Christmas CD has both the Allan Sherman version and the Bob & Doug McKenzie version (On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me...a beer!). Also has the Hippo song, Weird Al's "Christmas At Ground Zero" and Cheech & Chong's "Santa Claus and His Old Lady". That's a CD that gets played every Christmas in our household, needless to say!
      I have the same CD! It is a Christmas tradition for us too.... Along with the Star Wars Christmas Album.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
        My personal least favourite is 'Simply having a wonderful Christmas time' by Paul McCartney... but even that isn't as bad as when my store, who are too cheap to pay for original recordings, play mediocre cover versions of the songs....
        Cannot stand that song after being made to listen to it twice an hour when I had a weekend job at a UK hardware store (the one with two initials and a & in its name). Hated it before that anywa but the tinny quality over the speakers made me hate it even more. Loathesome.

Comment

Quoth AyreBiskits View Post
          least favorites:

LITTLE DRUMMER BOY hate hate hate hate this song, it just drags on and on
          Well if you happen to be one I.P. Freleigh, you could turn it into "I have to take a dump-a-dump-dump..."

But yeah, I agree it drags ON and ON and ON.

As I mentioned previously with the Carols TV broadcasts, I tend to be selective and mute some of the songs based on the following criteria:

-If it's a kids performance, apart from the The Wiggles*, I'll listen for 30 seconds, then mute it. (although it will be interesting if the original lineup will still be doing Carols this year given they're handing over their skivvies...well most of them)

-If the singer has a voice that grates, it's muted.

-If the song drags on and on and on, it gets muted.

-If I can't understand WHAT on earth he/she is singing, it gets muted. (Exceptions for if the song is not meant to be in English, BUT they need to make this clear...if you're going to sing O Come All Ye Faithful in Latin, give it the Latin NAME (Adeste Fideles)

*=Aussie kids group that have been around since the 1990's. Very successful given that they keep the concepts simple, the words are repetitive and the topics are about things that kids of nearly ALL ages understand (they don't start singing about sippy cups for example...).

Here is an example of the stuff that I will mute: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty1fYzZAWjo

(Hi-5, another Aussie Kids group. basically take the wiggles, make them 20-30 years younger, dress them in fluoro costumes and have them dance around like they're high on sugar. They do get points for diversity though, given that at least one of their members at any time appears to have a foreign background of some sort)
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

For those who don't like the Twelve Days of Christmas, try this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fe11OlMiz8

I adore this version and it's not as repetitive as some. It's safe for work too!

Add the "Dominick the Donkey " to my least favorite songs.
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

The hippo song needs to die a flaming death

Comment

There are a few non-cover songs that I seriously dislike:

1) "It Happened In Sun Valley" by Glenn Miller. First off, the song has nothing to do with Christmas, but the Christmas music channel plays it all the freakin' time.

2) "Toyland". I hate this song. So much. Especially because, again, it gets played on our Christmas music channel at least once a day.

What I hate even more, though, are song covers that have been "jazzed up" by adding stuff like overly-embellished music and singing that occasionally makes it near-impossible to tell what song it actually is.
                "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                  Yep, I have a Dr. Demento Christmas CD (slightly older than yours, I suspect). Also a Best of Dr. Demento, with a CD for every decade from the 40's thru the 80's or 90's. Hubby and I have both been known to break out into some very inappropriate songs at times

Madness takes it's toll....
                  Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I nominate the barking dogs doing jingle bells. I like dogs but that "song" makes me want to beat them with a large wooden paddle.

"My Favorite Things" is NOT a Christmas song! It's from "The Sound of Music!" Julie Andrews and 57 stepchildren!!! (ok maybe not 57 exactly... )

And some idiots did a version of Jingle Bells that sounds like someone is playing it at the wrong speed....waaaaay too fast. It has this woman going "jingjingjingjingjingjingjingjingle bells" over and over until I want to throttle her...

OH! Worst one? "Hey Santa" --- WHY CAN'T THESE PEOPLE PRONOUNCE IT CORRECTLY?? SAN-TA!! NOT "SANNA"!!!

Whew...thanks, I feel better now.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                      I'm singing Hallelujah Chorus in my sleep. Pretty sure I no longer need the score at this point. And, yunno, I've sung songs that have higher notes, but I think holding the high notes for so long and needing so much volume for Hallelujah makes it more difficult.
                      I'm alto, so I don't have that problem. But I, too, can sing the damn Hallelujah Chorus in my sleep. Well, the alto line of either SATB or SSATB. (Soprano, Second Soprano...)

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                      Most interesting covers I have - and actually listen to! - are ...

1) A Dark Noel - Gothic Christmas songs. Highlights include "Happy XMas (War is Over)" performed by the Crüxshadows
                      I can't stand that. "And so this is Christmas, and what have you done? Another year over, a new one just begun".

I've NEVER done what I wanted to do. It always makes me feel .. useless.

Quoth fireheart View Post
                      As I mentioned previously with the Carols TV broadcasts, I tend to be selective and mute some of the songs based on the following criteria:

-If I can't understand WHAT on earth he/she is singing, it gets muted. (Exceptions for if the song is not meant to be in English, BUT they need to make this clear...if you're going to sing O Come All Ye Faithful in Latin, give it the Latin NAME (Adeste Fideles)
                      I'll make an exception for when they're doing it as pure music, such as the aforementioned 'Carol of the Bells' canon/fugue.

Because of the overlapping, you could only truly make out the words each singer was singing if you absolutely focussed on just that one singer: or during the occasions where the others went quiet.
                      But the arrangement was intricate and beautiful; and that was the point of that particular performance.

(Apologies for the awful alliteration.)
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Just thought of another one.

I don't know who sings it, but it goes "It's Christmas time in Tinseltown again! It's Christmas time in Tinseltown again! Repeat 10 million times!"
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Kisa View Post
                          2) Santa Baby. It's so overplayed and overdone by thousands of artists, it gets old fast. The one I hate most is the one with the woman singing in a "sexy" voice. It's creepy imagining a busty 20 something blonde singing this to a white haired old fat man...
                          Depends on the singer. The age difference is probably more acceptable with the most well-known version sung by Yzma.

Apparently, there's also a version of "Last Christmas" by Billie Piper (better known as Rose Tyler).
                          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

A good Christmas song, which was Christmas number one once was... Killing In The Name Of by Rage Against The Machine.

... What? What do you mean, it's not a Christmas song? Reminds me of shopping on Christmas Eve, actually.
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

If Bing Crosby sings it, it must die.
                              O God, thy sky is so vast and my plane is so small.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                                Depends on the singer. The age difference is probably more acceptable with the most well-known version sung by Yzma.
                                Eartha Kitt's version is the only one I'll listen to.

Also, as far as parodies, I love the Rhett and Link Caption Fail one
                                "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Working...
                                X