This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some of the Worst News I Could Get

Some of you may know that earlier this year I left my job at Awesome Forest to go back to school. I still keep in touch with all my old co-workers and today I have received some tragic news.

On New Year's Eve someone cut a hole through both fences around the Wolf Pack's enclosure and let some of the pack out, including the Alpha male Haida and the Alpha female Granite. At present, the only wolves left in the enclosure are yearlings and pups.
    Even worse, it appears that yesterday someone took advantage of the situation and shot and killed Haida on the road. They've found blood, casings, and fur, but it looks like he was taken away in a car.
    Our pack has been in captivity since the '70s. They don't know how to hunt or survive, especially in winter, and are now loose in territory that has other packs in it. Wolves being territorial, they will kill newcomers into the territory about 90% of the time. If our guys don't get caught, they will either be killed or starve to death.
    The whole staff is heartbroken. The wolves are so much more than a research or education pack to us, they are family.
    I remeber Haida as a pup my first year there, and how sick he was, and how many days and nights the staff and our vet worried over him. I remeber how he protected the old alpha Smudge after he was displaced in the pack and the others had a tendency to pick on him. Haida would always stop it before it got to rough. I remeber the last time I saw him playing with his and Granite's first litter of pups.

You can read the boss's press release and blog here http://haliburtonforest.com/blog/item/52

If anyone here is in the Minden or Haliburton area and sees or hears anything, please contact the forest.

W..who the hell would do something like that?

I would put down money that it was some crazy "animal rights" activist who was sure that the "poor wolves would rather be free to roam in the wild like they're supposed to!"

Ugh, this is heart breaking. I'm so pissed.
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

I'm heartbroken and too for words right now. Animal-liberation nuts are so blinded by 'animals need to be FREE' that they can't wrap their little heads around what they're actually doing to the animals.

At least here (US), some states have declared open season on any wolves, and radio-collared animals have been shot just because. I'm wondering if they weren't let out so some misguided wannabe 'macho men' could have a trophy. I hope the remaining wolves are safely captured, the rest of the pack isn't too traumatized and that whoever did this is found...as to what should happen to them, that's a tad too violent to be posted.

Haida is beautiful. *snuggles wolf pups*
      Last edited by Dreamstalker; 01-03-2013, 03:40 PM.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Oh my god, I'm so sorry. I'm heartbroken for you and for those wolves. I hope they can manage to trap the others who are still out. And I hope the ones still there won't be too traumatized by their leaders basically disappearing.
        "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Noooooooooooooo, poor puddlebutts! *Snuggles puppies* The people that would such things are horrible, terrible, people who will be reincarnated into slugs.
          Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

We don't know yet that the perpetrators were in fact animal "liberation" nuts (although I don't argue that some of them are completely deranged -- yeah, sure, animals need to be free to starve to death or get hit by vehicles or taken out by macho idiots with weapons ....) But whoever it is deserves a far worse punishment than they are likely to get under Ontario's lame animal protection laws.

Hoping and praying that the rest of the pack is caught and brought back safely. Please keep us updated.

Comment

I'm really sorry for the alpha who was killed and his body taken away. Not sure what the hunting laws are in your area, but I just don't see the point of killing any wild animal that isn't behaving aggressively towards humans.

Comment

Ditto; like I said above, I suspect that he was shot by some opportunistic macho wannabe (any local vocal wolf-haters in the area?).
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

However it happened, why would anybody think it's a-okay to vandalize private property like that?

I'm going to go ahead and speculate it was done by free-range troublemakers not acting out of any political or personal philosophy.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

So far no news, other than that all three wolves remaining outside have been seen investigating the live traps they've set up outside the enclosure.

Unfortunately that area has been a hot spot for conflict over wolves, which is one of the reasons the centre was built. It's part of a 'buffer area' for wolves around Algonquin Park. Wolves are protected totally in the park, and in the counties that border it you need a special permit above and beyond the normal hunting permits to take a wolf or a coyote. There are definately people in town who feel pretty darn threatened by that, and it comes up in the local papers every so often.
                    Two years ago someone killed five wolves and left them in the forest. It sparked a pretty angry debate in town, and when the guy was finally caught the MNR suddenly decided they were actually coyotes, and he'd not dumped them he was just waiting to come back and get them for the pelts...all he got was a slap on the wrist. There's another education centre in Minden, R.D. Lawrence Centre, that does a lot of education with wolves and their director was pretty scathing over the whole thing but in the end nothing got done.
                    Lots of people up there feel unsafe if they ever see a wolf, notwithstanding how rare attacks are. Me, I don't feel comfortable without them. There was a wild pack that denned less than a kilometer from my house, and I loved to hear them sing at night.

Comment

I hope the assholes that did that get rabies.
                      I remember my grandpa had to put up no hunting signs on his horse ranch - fuckwits would shoot a horse thinking its a deer.
                      Even had some assnugget shoot some colts.
                      What the fuck is wrong with people?

Comment

Quoth MournBlade View Post
                        fuckwits would shoot a horse thinking its a deer.
                        Even had some assnugget shoot some colts.
                        How do you mistake a horse for a deer? It's a friggin' HORSE!

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                          Obviously since they both have hooves they're the same animal.

Though people should be wary of deer... they can and will kick some major ass if you don't take them seriously.
                          My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                          It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                            Ain't you never heard of MULE deer?
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Sure I heard of Mule Deer. Still can't mistake that for a horse, though.

....okay, hang on, I forgot about the guy in Helen Georgia telling his kids that the Clydesdale pulling the carriage was a cow. :facepalm:

Comment

Working...
                              X