This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Lady Legira View Post
    That was the strain that killed my husband. If you'll excuse the pun Flu isn't to be sneezed at.
    I'm sorry for your loss

Whenever someone says "it's just flu" I like to point out that the Spanish flu outbreak after WW1 killed more people than the war itself. It infected about a third of the world's population, and is believed to have caused 50,000,000 - 100,000,000 deaths (the large range is due to the difficulties determining what strain, or sometimes what disease, was responsible).
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
      I got H1N1 a few years ago. That strain was Nasty.
      Yup. Didn't get it formally diagnosed but I'm pretty sure that was what it was. Took me close to three weeks to feel normal again, and it hit right as we were going into the busy pre-Christmas freight season at the swamp.

However, since then I've seldom come down with colds, or anything else viral. I never get flu shots, because I hate needles.

Quoth greek_jester View Post
      I'm sorry for your loss

Whenever someone says "it's just flu" I like to point out that the Spanish flu outbreak after WW1 killed more people than the war itself. It infected about a third of the world's population, and is believed to have caused 50,000,000 - 100,000,000 deaths (the large range is due to the difficulties determining what strain, or sometimes what disease, was responsible).
      My grandmother, who's now 97, had a sister who died from the flu in that outbreak.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

The husband of one of my bosses got H3N1, and nearly died. It ravaged his lungs, leaving him in ICU for a few months, and then on oxygen for nearly a year after. He's still health compromised nearly 2 years later. Flu is nothing to disparage... I got it at the same time, lightly, and still missed a week and a half of work.

Comment

For the last several weeks, I've had a nasty bug that seems to go away, then comes back, then seems to get better, then gets worse. Lots of coughing, sinus pressure, even lost my voice for a few days. It seems to have receded again; all I've got is the occasional cough now. Let's hope it's actually going away this time.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

nothing here yet *KNOCK ON WOOD* other than mom had a sore throat for a few days

but last Fri, mom & I went to the movies to see the new Star Wars for my birthday & as we were standing in line there was a family in front of us who had the crud apparently. So, we sat as far away from them as we could & then wouldn't you know it, ANOTHER bunch came in before the lights went down, sat down directly behind us & they were HACKING AWAY TOO!! (not to mention, one of their group kept kicking the backs of our seats the entire time. Add that to the fact the theatre was out of the drink I wanted, I HATE coke! plus they had to restart the movie because there was a pink line running down the middle of the film it was NOT an enjoyable experience)

Point is, FOLKS FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST, IF YOU'RE SICK, DON'T GO TO THE MOVIES!! (and if you DO decide to do so ANYWAY, PLEASE SIT WAY WAY IN THE BACK)

unless of course you're hard of hearing or sight impaired that is

Sorry, I'm sure I'll be lambasted for the rant, the soda situation was kinda what tipped the whole thing off...They didn't have Pibb Xtra & other than diet drinks my only other option other than bottled water was Coke

does anyone here have a place where ya'll carry Pibb Xtra in the 12pk, I'm in GA & the only other place that carries it is the Subway on Carl Vinson & they only carry it in individual 20 oz bottles which is uber expensive to buy them that way ..I'll gladly pay postage/whatever for someone to mail me some, don't care if it's room temp, I actually prefer them that way
            "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
              For the last several weeks, I've had a nasty bug that seems to go away, then comes back, then seems to get better, then gets worse. Lots of coughing, sinus pressure, even lost my voice for a few days. It seems to have receded again; all I've got is the occasional cough now. Let's hope it's actually going away this time.
              The last time I suffered that, I ended up with a baby at the end. (Colds are no fun when you're expecting, and in my case at least they don't seem to go away ever.)
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

So sorry for your loss. Flu can indeed be very dangerous, especially if someone is already compromised. I happened to be in the group least at risk (adult but not elderly, normal immune system, exc) and I still felt like I was going to die with that one even though I didn't have any symptoms that meant we should get to the ER.
                "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth CorneliaMarieRocks View Post
                  does anyone here have a place where ya'll carry Pibb Xtra in the 12pk, I'm in GA & the only other place that carries it is the Subway on Carl Vinson & they only carry it in individual 20 oz bottles which is uber expensive to buy them that way ..I'll gladly pay postage/whatever for someone to mail me some, don't care if it's room temp, I actually prefer them that way
                  If you are where I think you are then you're really close to where I live. The Little Caesar's on Watson has 2-liters of Pibb Xtra, I think. Most Little Caesar's tend to, I didn't even know they came in 2-liters until I got one from there (and the bottle says it's Spicy Cherry flavor, interestingly enough).
                  The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Is this the Little Caesar's that only a take out pizza joint? That have the pizzas ready made or something like that?

Yeah we live on the street behind the Walmart on Watson, which is where we do our grocery shopping (if that tells you anything )

Comment

I'm pretty sure all Little Caesar's are take-out only but yeah, you have the right place.
                      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

cool! thanks for the info neighbor

Comment

Working...
                        X