X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Seshat View Post
    Yes, it is.

Anything that is a condition of your employment is tax deductible, including uniform-type clothes.
    Ordinary clothes aren't, but stuff like scrubs might be, and required uniforms definitely are. It's worth calling the ATO and checking about your swimming togs, actually: if you buy togs specifically for the job, they might be deductible.

For this job, my list of 'worth asking, at least' would be:
    * the uniform shirt
    * training
    * any journals or other educational materials you use to keep up to date
    * the 'keep up to date' first aid courses you'll have to do to keep your certification current
    * goggles - especially prescription goggles
    * teaching tools, if you use any (including things you hand out to the kids)
    * swimwear, towels, and other equipment IF you use them specifically for the job.
    Out of that list:

-Uniform shirt is a yes, since that's provided. (there's 2 types actually: one the instructors wear when dry and one for the water). I will also be provided with a cap and possibly a swim cap as well, but I'll check that with them. (I was looking at getting one anyway)
    -Training is also a yes, confirmed today.
    -Journals etc: not sure if that'll be the case over time.
    -First aid: I'll actually ask about this one.
    -Goggles is a no, because I asked the instructor about my glasses and some students do, some students don't.
    -Teaching tools are provided by the group because they run on a program.
    -Swimwear is a maybe, towel no. I did have plans on celebrating by buying a new swimsuit if I got the job (while my current one is OK for this, I kind of want to have a fresh start with a fresh swimsuit)
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Just don't do what I did once -- though I'm farsighted, so this probably wouldn't be a problem for someone nearsighted.

I was getting ready to swim and carefully put my glasses away in their case and locked them in my locker.

Afterward, I realized that I couldn't see to work the combination lock withough my glasses.

Oops.
      Last edited by Sparky; 02-09-2012, 03:20 PM.
      Women can do anything men can.
      But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
      Maxine

Comment

OK so sadly I didn't get the job, however some good news came out of it anyway...

I went down to the employment office today and asked if they could help with funding for the training. They're going to fund the course for me and I'm going to pay for the First Aid course myself (because it includes the CPR, I'm going to go the whole hog and pay the whole $150 rather than the $60 for just the CPR certificate)
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

If your tummy is anything like mine after 3-4 hours of running around w/o glasses then putting them back on will cause you to get a nasty headache and start throwing up. I was fine, beyond being blind as a bat, until I put my glasses on and WHAMO! give me pop and a bucket.
          Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Working...
          X