Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Self Sighting. (Ah, Needles...a longish tale?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
    I have an acutely sensitive gag reflex. I had to get a strep throat test (actually several times.) Every single time I start hacking up a lung as my throat closes and I nearly convulse.
    I am so relieved to know I'm not the only one has that touchy of a gag reflex! I always have to be literally backed against a wall to do it, because I jerk back without meaning to. I have the added benefit of it actually puking if I do have strep. It's more reliable than the rapid test, even. Ugh.

Kaycichu, the whole "it wasn't so bad" thing bugs me too. I get the feeling they feel guilty and are trying to console themselves, rather than me, or something. Just makes me want to scream though. The one and only time I could tolerate someone saying it wasn't all that bad... it really was, but my sister knew that. And she said the words along with a ton of hugs and snuggles throughout the 2 hours of torment (they thought I had cancer... lot of procedures involved). I'm one of those super affectionate weirdos who would do almost anything for a hug, so that was a rare treat. I get all happy when I think of that day now, because she worked so hard to overwhelm the bad experiences with a metric buttload of good stuff.

That might work for others, too... plan a special treat so that there's a positive memory to go along with the negative. Even if it helps a tiny bit, that's a start. (I hope I'm not pointlessly rambling too much... I'm really stressed lately, and that makes me rather chatty sometimes.)

Comment

Oh, I've always hated having to get blood work done. Ever since I was a little kid, I've had a phobia of needles.

Since donating a kidney 7 years ago, I'm not so bad anymore (got poked plenty of times before it was all over, let me tell you, which definitely helped me get over it to some extent) and don't mind getting a needle now as long as I don't have to look.

My mother likes to tell this story of when I was 4 or 5: I had to go get a vaccine for something (can't for the life of me remember what though) which was being done at the local fire hall. Back then I was absolutely terrified of needles.

When it came time for my turn, my mother sat down on the chair and pulled me into her lap. As soon as the nurse pulled out the needle though I jumped down from Mom's lap and tried to make a break for it. Mom had managed to get a hold of my wrist, though, so I didn't get very far.
      She pulled me back into her lap and used both arms to hold me there. Another nurse had to come over and hold down my arm so that the nurse with the needle could give me a shot, I was fighting and struggling that hard. I was also yelling and crying so loud I'm surprised everyone else in the building didn't stop what they were doing to watch!

On the one hand, I'm a little embarrassed at the scene I caused and feel bad for those two nurses who were only trying to do their jobs, but on the other hand I'm quite impressed with myself that it took 3 people just to give me a shot.
      my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
      it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

My mother had to get a plain-clothes cop to track me down...
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Miss Maple Leaf View Post

On the one hand, I'm a little embarrassed at the scene I caused and feel bad for those two nurses who were only trying to do their jobs, but on the other hand I'm quite impressed with myself that it took 3 people just to give me a shot.
          me? 9 years old and it took 6 adults to hold me down so they could numb, clean and put 3 stitches in my foot. And I'm still terrified of needles decades later.

I also have a very strong gag reflex. When the dentist has to do xrays, they have one assistant at the machine and one in the room. The one in the room, inserts the film, yells go and steps back, which gives it just enough time before I start heaving. (I throw up.) When the poor dentist does fillings, s/he has to do it in short steps as my gag reflex kicks in, ect...

Comment

Yay! I'm not alone!

Comment

Quoth Kaycichu View Post
              Yay! I'm not alone!
              You most definitely are not
              As I saw mentioned by others as well, see if you can get a sedative, even a mild one, if you need anything taken again.
              Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
              What's the difference?
              We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

this may sound strange but... i find the pin-pricks worse than the needles when giving blood.

but for the pain, i purposefully pinch my hip while they put the needle in. i can only assume it's because the pinch is a pain I can focus on because I am in control of that pain.

Comment

Needles don't bother me. I've had to be stuck many many many times. Does it hurt? Yes. Sometimes it hurts a freakin' LOT. But it still doesn't bother me.

I say this to let you know that it's okay for it to hurt. What's not okay is for you to feel so panicked and traumatized. Talk to your doctor about getting a script for a sedative to take before hand and work with a therapist. The two together will help.
                  Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                    this may sound strange but... i find the pin-pricks worse than the needles when giving blood.

but for the pain, i purposefully pinch my hip while they put the needle in. i can only assume it's because the pinch is a pain I can focus on because I am in control of that pain.
                    There's a reason for that. There are a ton of nerves in your finger tips (we use our fingers/sense of touch for a lot of things, after all, so it makes sense there are nerves focused there). There are fewer in your arm where they typically draw blood.
                    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Working...
                    X