Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most small electronics makers got together a couple years back and settled on micro USB as a standard. The notable holdouts are Apple, and both major dedicated handheld game systems.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

If Apple ever moved to micro USB, they'd move the charge regulator into the cable so that people would either have to buy their cable or blow up their phone if they had the audacity to use a normal cable.
      Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Actually, they *wouldn't* be able to do that. That's the entire point of standardising on Micro-USB; it has a defined interface (physical *and* electrical) at the device-plug end. There's even a standardised way for chargers to indicate to devices that they can supply more than the USB-standard 500mA (a resistor between the two data pins).

So if Apple sold an iWhatever without a built-in charge regulator, they wouldn't be able to claim that it was using the Micro-USB interface, even if the physical plug was the same. The USB trademark logo would also not be authorised for such a setup.

Comment

That's probably why they went with the "Lightning" connector. I can imagine them making a phone that used a "Micro-USB form-factor connector" for charging/data sync. Note "form-factor" - weasel words to the effect that it's mechanically the same as a micro-USB, but no guarantee of it being electrically equivalent. Swap the + and - lines? Why not? Use a non-Apple charger and your phone gets smoked. Warranty? Sorry, the damage is due to using a non-Apple charger, claim denied.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
            Hmm, looks like they ditched the proprietary connector they used on the Tab 2. I have a Galaxy S Relay and a Tab 2. The Relay has microUSB, so I'd never pay more than a few bucks for a cable. The Tab 2 has an Apple-like connector, looks almost identical to the iphone's. That cord doesn't leave my house, even though a quick google shows it too is less than ten bucks.
            I have a 3-in-1 USB charging cable from ThinkGeek, and the dock connector on that fits and charges my Tab2 just fine.
            Quoth Geek King View Post
            micro USB as a standard. The notable holdouts are...both major dedicated handheld game systems.
            Ugh, yes *glares at Nintendo*. I have three chargers around the house, and one never leaves my main travel carryon. That one is slightly better than the stock charger; basically an adapter and USB cable with 3DS/2DS plugs on the other end.

I've been kicking around an idea for a piezoelectric 3DS charger...why not make the step counter really useful?
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
              Most small electronics makers got together a couple years back and settled on micro USB as a standard. The notable holdouts are Apple, and both major dedicated handheld game systems.
              It's actually a legal requirement in the EU that mobile phones must use uUSB, reduce landfill by not including a new charger in the box for every phone, as it's assumed you already have one from your previous one - Apple get around this by providing a charge adaptor in the box

Comment

as someone who has bought replacement chargers they are never ever EVERY $5. Heck I might be happy with $10. I found an offbrand apple one that was 17. and it lasted a whole two days before my kids separated the wires on it.

We have both samsung galaxy phones and an apple ipad mini and I cringe every time hubby tells me we need a new charger. They are never less than 20. Ever. And the gas station around here is likely to be MORE instead of less.

Comment

For me, I'm stuck with 3 chargers. 1 for the 3DS, 1 microUSB for the phone and the Kobo. And one specialized one for my Asus Transformer Tablet. The last especially I'm a bit paranoid about at times because I only have the one and I'm not sure if I'll bother (or if I can find) a compatible secondary ones.

Comment

I have a multi cable with a single USB A port on one end, with the following on the other;
                    Mini USB B (camera)
                    Apple 30 pin
                    Micro USB A
                    Sony PSP
                    Nintendo DS

Comment

Working...
                    X