This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you for almost costing me a thousand dollars

I've mentioned before that our computer store sometimes gets interns from a special needs school in the area.

It's nice because they're usually excited to learn about computer repair and they don't mind doing menial tasks like emptying trash or sweeping the floor. That's not to say that's all we have them doing - we actually teach them to test hard drives, run updates, replace memory etc.

I've had a kid coming in for about a year, we'll call him D.

This will sound horrible, but the kid is kind of an obnoxious little prick.

The teachers who keep an eye on him don't like him. He acts like he knows everything there is about computers. For example, the other day he was badgering a teacher about a particular high-end computer he thought the guy should purchase, despite the teacher saying he only wanted something for internet and email.

The teacher who basically keeps an eye on him while he's here overheard this and relayed the conversation to me:

D: You should buy *expensive gaming computer* - C at Stressed Out Computers would agree with me. I know pretty much everything about computers

Yes, dear readers - he actually said that.

Teach: D, did you just say you knew everything about computers?

D: I do!

Teach: My son works for Amazon. Before that he worked for Microsoft. And even then he would never say he knows "everything there is" about computers.

D: Maybe 80%...

Teach: Is that why you got kicked out of Stressed Out Computers last week?

D: I guess.... I don't know everything there is about computers.

Teach: No one knows everything about them. Remember that.

Now, I'm sort of telling this story in reverse. But you see how this kid thinks.

Here's what happened a week and a half ago:

I handed the kid a laptop. I told him to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials which is a pretty well-known antivirus Microsoft provides for free. It no longer works with Windows XP and for our XP holdouts, we've been selling them Kaspersky or putting Avast on for free.

The kid KNOWS what MSE is. He's installed it and uninstalled it before.

Well, for some reason he has a brain burp. It wasn't until a couple of minutes after he left but I noticed the window for the uninstaller was... not right. From across the room the colors didn't look right.

I took a closer look. For some reason, the kid had uninstalled Quickbooks from the guy's laptop.

And this wasn't $200 off the shelf Quickbooks Pro. This was $1000 Quickbooks Enterprise.

I go into panic mode. Fortunately, and by the grace of God, Thor, Loki, Shiva, or the deity of your choice, Intuit had all the guy's serial numbers recorded and we were able to have them emailed to us - then we just had to download and reactive the appropriate version of Quickbooks.

But Jesus Christ... the kid could have potentially cost me a thousand dollars if I had to replace the software myself.

So next day I call his school - explain what happened. They talk to the kid - he doesn't even know why he did it. It was just a mistake, he said.

Of all the things to uninstall, that was the most expensive mistake he could have made. Office, Java, antivirus... anything else I could have replicated for free... and that's what he decides to uninstall.

So I told them I don't want the kid back, ever. A couple of days later, his dad calls. (the kid's parents are loaded - the dad is a doctor or something) - dad apologizes for the kid, tells me how much he loves coming here, and makes sure to mention about 3 times that if I want D to come back, he'd love to.

So yeah... how much do you want to bet D asked daddy warbucks to fix things for him. That's the problem with a lot of these kids... their parents are well-off. The kids never learn responsibility or even how to properly take care of themselves. That's a rant for another time, but we've actually had to teach a couple of these kids how to properly use a broom to sweep a floor because their parents treat them with such kid gloves. These "kids" are usually between 17 - 20 years old. How are they going to learn to live on their own if something happens to the parents?

Anyway... D won't be back. Small errors I don't care about but a potential thousand dollar error - so long and thanks for all the fish. You're done.

And as you can see from the conversation in the first half of the story, even after getting kicked off a work site for uninstalling the wrong software, the kid is still an egomaniac who thinks he can do no wrong.

Oh... here's a funny side note: he's afraid of everything.

D is 19 years old and he was afraid of our basement. He was afraid of getting germs from touching a trash can liner. He was afraid of a waterbug (black cockroach looking thing) The best one was when I had a crossbow a friend of mine gave me. It needed to be strung.

Read: it had NO string on it. It was PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to fire a projectile from it in its present condition. I didn't have any ammo for it, anyway.

I told the kid to take it down to the basement to get it out of the way until a friend of mine had a few minutes to put a string on it. The kid was afraid to touch the crossbow because it might "go off". There is NOTHING to go off. It cannot without a string and there's NO AMMO IN IT.

My dad gave me a little lizard/dragon statue as a housewarming gift. He'd had it for years and I like red dragons, so that was cool. I had it sitting on the counter and D was afraid of the statue because it looked realistic. (aside from the wings jutting out from its back and it having 4 legs) I finally made him pick it up and put it on a shelf so he could see it was a goddammed statue.

The other kid I have come in on Fridays - no problems. He looks like Zack Galifanakas <sp> but tall and skinny, and he constantly speaks like the Horse Whisperer, but otherwise never had a problem with the kid. I try to encourage him to PROJECT HIS VOICE LIKE BRIAN BLESSED but it's against his nature to speak loudly. Nice kid. At least he doesn't brag about being a computer expert.

I guess the moral of the story is... just because you have some developmental issues doesn't mean you still can't be an asshole.

Did you explain to Daddy Warbucks exactly _why_ D isn't welcome back? I'll bet you get offered a bribe to keep him on.

Seriously, the kid needs to get a grip on reality. That is if he can manage to climb off his throne and mingle with the rest of humanity...

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
      Did you explain to Daddy Warbucks exactly _why_ D isn't welcome back? I'll bet you get offered a bribe to keep him on.
      I'm sure Daddy Warbucks would promise to pay for any future mistakes, until he actually got the bill for them.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post

Seriously, the kid needs to get a grip on reality. That is if he can manage to climb off his throne and mingle with the rest of humanity...

Oh, yes. I believe the teachers told him but I also explained it was $1000 Quickbooks software and not just the cheap off the shelf accounting software most people use.

I really do feel bad for a lot of these kids because their parents are preparing them for "real life". One of my former technicians has a daughter with some learning disabilities and she made sure her kid knew how to clean the house, pay a bill, and basically manage her life. She wasn't going to live with mom her entire life and had to learn how shit works.

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
        I'm sure Daddy Warbucks would promise to pay for any future mistakes, until he actually got the bill for them.

Well, I didn't say it to him but I did tell the teacher jokingly I'd let the kid come back and work here if his dad paid me.
        Last edited by EricKei; 06-04-2014, 01:29 AM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Comment

I'd say send D my way, except that I'm already housebreaking a toddler and now three puppies. He'd have to learn to deal with "Real Life" or my 12 year old would shame the crap out of him.

My oldest cooks, cleans, and built his own gaming rig at the age of 11. And I got told I was horrible parent because I refuse to coddle my kids.
          If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
            I'd say send D my way, except that I'm already housebreaking a toddler and now three puppies. He'd have to learn to deal with "Real Life" or my 12 year old would shame the crap out of him.

My oldest cooks, cleans, and built his own gaming rig at the age of 11. And I got told I was horrible parent because I refuse to coddle my kids.
            Can you give lessons to my next door neighbors? They still haven't even figured out that a toddler (under 2 yrs old) should NOT still be up at 1:30 in the morning, running around screaming...
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

This was $1000 Quickbooks Enterprise.

I go into panic mode. Fortunately, and by the grace of God, Thor, Loki, Shiva, or the deity of your choice, Intuit had all the guy's serial numbers recorded and we were able to have them emailed to us - then we just had to download and reactive the appropriate version of Quickbooks.
              Hrm...Well I've got some good news for you and some good news that could have been REALLY bad news. So uh, be sure to send your diety/force of nature/etc of choice a quick Thank You note.

The former: Intuit always does that for ALL of their products ^_^ sauce: I used to be a PA (software solutions/tech not working for Intuit), and had an Enterprise cert.

The latter: Unless they have released a 1-user version (aside from Accountant Edition) in the last three years, Enterprise starts at $3500 (5-users) and goes up from there -- which is still absolutely dirt cheap for accounting software at that level and above ^_^ So, uh, you saved yourself and the place much more than you thought with your quick thinking! o_O;>
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
                Teach: My son works for Amazon. Before that he worked for Microsoft. And even then he would never say he knows "everything there is" about computers.

D: Maybe 80%...
                Nobody knows "everything there is" about ANY non-trivial subject. As an example: there are 2 boats (cabin cruisers). Both are I/O drive, 38 feet long, and 10 feet from the keel to the highest point of any structure that can't be easily removed (i.e. antennas and the "tuna tower" don't count). One has an 8 foot beam, the other has a 9 foot beam. The wider boat faces legal issues that the narrower boat doesn't.

If you were to present this problem to an experienced lawyer specializing in maritime law, he probably wouldn't know what the legal issues are that the wider boat faces (and if he's got the "I know everything on the subject" attitude and arrogance that D displayed, will flat-out tell you that the wider boat DOESN'T face legal issues beyond those faced by the narrower boat). Based on what some people here have said about themselves, I'm sure somebody can figure out what those issues are (and yes, they are real).
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Wolfie - Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure 8' is the max width for a standard load so the 9' wide would require a special trip permit for transport to the water. Could be wrong - too lazy to look up right now.
                  Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Rough barely-educated guess: there would be shipping channels that the narrower boat has permission to use that the wider boat doesn't.

EG: my Nan used to live on a canal; they used dredges to keep the canals navigable. I assume there is a maximum width for boats that can safely use such dredged shipping channels.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post

I guess the moral of the story is... just because you have some developmental issues doesn't mean you still can't be an asshole.
                      Agreed.....this story reminded me of one of my fellow teen volunteers at the library one summer. "Nancy" had some physical (and maybe mental) disabilities, but she was able to do her job, and when I first started working with her, we got along great.

Later on though, it was frustrating having to work with her because she would get kind of bossy and snippy for no apparent reason, and I wasn't fond of the volunteer shifts that I was scheduled with her.

Found out later, that Nancy was in my brother's class at school, and according to him, she wasn't the most pleasant of people, and got picked on a lot.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                        Rough barely-educated guess: there would be shipping channels that the narrower boat has permission to use that the wider boat doesn't.
                        That's something an expert on maritime law would be expected to know about. Besides, different canals and shipping channels have different limits. For example, the Iowa class battleships were built to fit the limits of the Panama Canal. I don't have specifics, but I believe the St. Lawrence Seaway has tighter restrictions (designed for Great Lakes freighters, not seagoing vessels), and you WON'T see an Iowa-class ship on the Erie Canal.

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
                        Wolfie - Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure 8' is the max width for a standard load so the 9' wide would require a special trip permit for transport to the water. Could be wrong - too lazy to look up right now.
                        Right idea, wrong dimension - to travel without an oversize permit, a truck and its cargo can't exceed 102 inches (8 1/2 feet) in width, with the exception of the truck's mirrors (can't recall how far they can stick out past this, but all the major truck manufacturers build to the standard, so if your mirrors are "stock" you don't need to worry about it). The boats themselves are a red herring - it would apply to ANY cargo transported by road, and an expert in maritime law wouldn't be expected to know about a regulation that only applies when a boat is out of the water.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

You mentioned he was a "special needs" student. Is it possible that the condition that caused him to be a special needs student contributed to his behavior?I have worked with some special needs teenagers who had that kind of arrogance as a result of their disability.

Comment

Quoth Barracuda View Post
                            You mentioned he was a "special needs" student. Is it possible that the condition that caused him to be a special needs student contributed to his behavior?I have worked with some special needs teenagers who had that kind of arrogance as a result of their disability.

Sure - that's certainly possible. I had mentioned at some point before about another intern we had who considered sweeping up "beneath him". He was also a video game addict and you didn't dare mention gaming in front of him because he would try to talk your ear off on the subject. He ended up being sent to video game rehab.

Most of the kids we get in are really good, though. They tend to have great personalities and are really easy to work with. Just once in a while we get one who has a chip on his shoulder.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                              That's something an expert on maritime law would be expected to know about. Besides, different canals and shipping channels have different limits. For example, the Iowa class battleships were built to fit the limits of the Panama Canal. I don't have specifics, but I believe the St. Lawrence Seaway has tighter restrictions (designed for Great Lakes freighters, not seagoing vessels), and you WON'T see an Iowa-class ship on the Erie Canal.
                              There are a number of boats on the Great Lakes that are too large to fit through the Welland Canal. Boats such as this are over 1,000 feet long and have a beam of 105 feet. The Welland Canal can only accommodate ships 740 feet in length with a beam of 78 feet. They'll never leave the lakes.

Mods, I can't upload the image to appear here. My apologies if that link is out of line. If it is, feel free to nuke it.
                              I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

Working...
                              X