This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self-checkout rules?

OK, for those of you who work at WalMart/Kmart, are there any rules regarding how much crap you can take to a self-checkout? I went into WalMart yesterday to get one thing, and wanted to use self-checkout. It's quick and easy, right? Course not! I get up there and all are in use by people with heaping carts, and three out of four checkouts had the red "idiot light" flashing on top meaning that the drooling morons messed it up.

I ended up waiting twenty minutes to get out of there using the "express" checkout behind other drrooling slackjaws who had to argue with the cashier about whatever. So I ask, are there any rules about how much is too much for the self-checkout? For reasons of theft or just for the sanity of the hapless individual who has to cover them?
    I know nothing and I can prove it!

I never use the self checkout if I have more than maybe 15 items, and only if I'm not ringing up anything like alcohol, or that will require cashier assistance.

I never noticed there being actual "rules" but I always thought it was (not so) common sense that you don't go up there with a full cart. Granted, I've gone through the self-checkout with two items and gotten a pointless and unwarranted "Cashier needed" message for reasons I don't understand, and felt stupid standing there waiting.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I only do self checkout if I have a hand basket or less. If I have a cart-full, first of all, the regular lanes are usually better equipped to handle that much stuff (as in longer belts and room to put stuff on the other side of the scanner), and second, the more stuff you have the more likely something is going to go wrong or I will get things confused because of the lack of space to unload everything and then load it back up again. Actually, I don't do self-checkout any more at all because the store I used to go to closed, and the one I usually go to doesn't have it. Only one other store that I know of in my town has it, but I don't go there very often any more since I'm not on that side of town much.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

It really depends on the store you go to. The one I shop at has both the short "express" size counters, as well as the full-length belts on SCOs, and the one I worked at (regularly covering the SCOs) had full belts on all four. I make it a point when I go through the SCOs that, if I have a full cart, I go to the full-length belts rather than tying up the express lanes. I figure if it has a full belt, it's equipped to handle a full cartload. Plus I know what I'm doing and can scan fast, so the red "idiot light" only blinks when I need assistance from the cashier (like the day the carrots rang up wrong, and the day our gift card's barcode wouldn't scan).

As for when I was covering them, I really only wanted to strangle customers when they had the gall to whine to me (without sending for help via the machine) that something wasn't working, when all you had to do was actually look at the stupid screen to see what to do next.
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Here is a letter from PFB written by somebody suggesting that Kroger treat the self checkouts like express lanes--open to customers with 15 items or less. I know we have a separate forum for PFB letters but I'm putting here because iot directly addresses this topic:
          http://www.planetfeedback.com/index....opic_id=300556

My view is that it's good suggestion but wouldn't work because of staffing issues (many stores use self-checkouts as substitutes for human cashiers and use them to eliminate staff) and if people don't follow the "X items or less" rules at normal express lanes, what's going to make them follow the rule at the self checkouts?
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I prefer the self-checkout even when I have an average cart for a week or two of groceries for myself. But my store has the full-sized belts and I'm quick at scanning. What trips me up is the bagging - which I'd rather do because I've had raw chicken put in the same bag as produce!

If there's anything I know will need assistance like alcohol, I scan that first so there's more time for an employee to come approve it.

Some other customers might not appreciate me with more than a few items, but since there are no rules and I know I don't take an excessive time and they can see my number of items when they get in line behind me, I don't sweat it. There's been times I've been behind a couple with a basket and were SOOOO slow I wasn't happy. It took me less time with my carts full and just myself!

Comment

It isn't so much the amount of stuff that people are checking so much as most people over-complicate the damn thing! I was behind one genius that couldn't figure out which picture to touch even though it had a picture of a credit card with the words "credit card" underneath it. The only thing I could attribute that to is the fact it didn't look like the CC they were using. Another genius couldn't figure out where in the hell the pin pad was that looks the same as the ones at the regular check-outs. Come on you corn-fed inbreds....this ain't rocket surgery!

The only problem I have from time to time is going to fast for their computers. But, I managed to do that where I used to work and where I work now.
              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. These things would work the way they were supposed to if the simians could simply operate them right. I've even seen some that have Poser animations that show you exactly what to do, and people still screw it up! I don't think they can be dumbed down anymore than they are. The credit/debit card emblem is the size of my hand! Find it! And on the topic of payment, I saw one asshat pay for nearly $100 dollars in groceries with ones and fives. That took a while, feeding all those bills in one at a time.

Edit: There is a grocery store near me that has the self-checkout. It's an upscale store, costing a lot more than WalMart and the like. For some reason, the people that shop there never mess these up, at least not that I've seen. Educated, perhaps?

Comment

The following rules, are for the Sucky Customers, and not to any of us.

The Rules for the Self Checkout/Express Register
                  • If you do not know how to operate one, then ask for help. You will actually look smarter to other people, the following times.
                  • Do not under any circumstance, take a large cart of groceries up to the self/express registers. You will get an attitude from your fellow SC's, and an attitude from the Smart Customers, also you might receive an attitude from an employee, if you yell at said employee.
                  • If you see that the light is off or the machine down/shut off, then please do not go to it, and fill the belt with the products, you are intending to buy. You will be laughed at by everyone.
                  • After you scan an item, put it into the bag. *Note: Put a few items into a bag, because of the weigh station.
                  • In fact, just stay away from the Self Checkout/Express Register. You are a SC, and will only mess it up every way possible. So after reading this rule, just do not shop what-so-ever.
                  Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                  San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I take full carts through the full-belted self checks all the time. Basically, I don't want to talk to anyone and I don't want them messing up how my groceries are supposed to be bagged together. (I'm picky )

That being said...there are three other self-checks, and a whole row of regular check-outs. You can see I've got 800 cans of cat food that each have to be individually scanned. If you get in line behind me and start huffing and puffing because it's the "shortest line" (never mind that even though I'm the only person here, I have $100 of groceries, but the next aisle over has three people who are each holding a Kit Kat), I will make myself suddenly drop 100 IQ points and lose all motor skills. I will hit wrong buttons, stare blankly at my bag of oranges, pay in loose change, and go through the entire transaction in Spanish just to spite you. DON'T RUSH ME. If you get in line and patiently wait your turn, I will speed it up. If you piss me off, you and I will be here when the ice age comes.
                    "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

The full-belt style with a full cart is never a problem as long as you know how to use it. If you don't, see powerboy's post.

Comment

I'm a fast scanner, but so are the checkout peeps. And I can get my card started while they're still scanning. Mua hahahaha!

Comment

welll, at my WM we have 2 "12 items or less" lanes and two open lanes., but people still messit up, despite the fact that we have 12 items or less posted damn near EVERYWHERE on those self-checks. Oh, well watcha gonna do? Oh, and Mysty? I wouldn't consider you an SC, so long as you went to one of the non-express lanes, I can understand about not wanting to chat, i am the same way after a long day's work.

Comment

Here are my rules for the sucky self checkout customers:

*If you can't read - go to the register with a human attached
                            *The computer verbally recites what to do, as well as shows you pretty animated colorful pictures. If this is too complicated - go to the register with a human attached
                            *Self-checkouts are NOT the place to argue prices. Scan your crap and GO.
                            *Please don't write checks at the self/express checkout. Freaking check cards are FREE at almost any bank nowadays.
                            *If you have three dozen coupons, please go to the register with a human attached.
                            *If the next lane with two cartloads gets their order rung faster than you and your 15 item basket, don't ever use the self checkout again. Or, take a course before doing so.
                            *scan, bag. Scan, bag. Is it that hard? If you don't bag it - the computer will ask why you haven't and alert the attendant. You are holding everyone up.
                            If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm, should I post this?" it should probably go HERE.

Comment

I don't care how much stuff I have, I'm always going to use the self checkouts unless I'm buying something where I need to show proof of age.

If more stores would properly train baggers or teach cashiers to remember to put every bag inside the cart, or not forget a bag on the carousel, it would be different.

I simply do not have the time NOR the gas for that matter, to drive back again to go get stuff that a cashier forgot time and time again. I also do not have the money to waste to get home and find wet sloppy meat in the same bag as my cookies that are now ruined.
                              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                              X