Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So your car doesn't 'pollute', but your kid does?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like this line from the article: "If you just found yourself swallowing a little vomit, all apologies."

My old car was green. But then I got rear-ended at 50+ mph and had to get a new one. Now my car is gray... What? Not the same kind of "green"?

I wanted to get a Corolla...I had a Prizm which is the same exact car except for the decals. They stopped making it the same year I lost mine or I probably would have gotten another one, but by September when I was looking the dealer couldn't find one within 200 miles that had what I wanted (and my dad had bought at least 4 or 5 cars from the same Chevy dealer up to that point so he probably could have gotten me a decent deal if I had gotten another Chevy). But the Corolla was too much money. Oh, well, my Elantra will do for now...
    Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 07-12-2007, 12:09 AM.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I wouldn't be caught dead in such an ugly car......

Can you imagine mom and dad when they drive on their own? Probably tossing their old microwaves and tvs right out the window!
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Sofar View Post
        . I really just wanna go electric myself, but I can't find a goddamn electric car.
        Watch the movie "Who Killed the Electric Car". It's an eye opener. And it will explain why you can't find a " true" electric car, like the GM EV-1.
        If watermelons are made up of water, what are kumquats made up of?
        www.myspace.com/rentalracer

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
          Can you imagine mom and dad when they drive on their own? Probably tossing their old microwaves and tvs right out the window!
          You forgot batteries and florescent light bulbs.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

And the kitchen sink!

Can you imagine the car dragging along the ground, the car stopping way before the stop sign, and dad pulling himself out the window to shove the sink off of the back of the car?

Idiots.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
              Can you imagine the car dragging along the ground, the car stopping way before the stop sign, and dad pulling himself out the window to shove the sink off of the back of the car?
              Oddly enough, I can. I have a good imagination.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Actually I kinda like the looks of the Prius its certainly not the ugliest thing out there (Most of the Fords do; the fusion, 500, etc.. look uglier to me) And its not that bad inside. I'm 6' and can wear a bowler and be comfortable in one. It also has enough power to get the job done and with a 20grand sticker in the cinci area its a good alternative.

As for the can thing. Yeah that was littering. And wasteful aluminum canss are 75 cents a pund at the local recycling center right now. Doesnt sound like much but hey every little bit helps if a person actually cares. Rather rude but not as big a threat as all that I doubt that can will puncture a tire that doesnt already have the air showing throuhg already.

As for fuel economy I ahve read on some of the prius owners groups about the car getting closer to 80 MPg under idel driving circumstances.

Does it show I would like to have one?

As for the ethanol/biofuel/biodeisel debate I'll meet you on fratchig on that one as we NEED MORE biofuels and america does have the capacity to produce (actually overproduce) corn and other crops.

DISCLAIMER: I am a farmer who raises soybeans/corn. Aside from crop price increases of a mild (not more than a dime a bushel) nature I am not profiting from biofuels. There is no shortage of corn for food production, no shortage of seeds and no reason for price increases on the end user side except for the corporation's greed that occurs in the middle. America has more than enough agricultural capacity to provide for this.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                  I wanted to get a Corolla...I had a Prizm which is the same exact car except for the decals.
                  Me mother has a 2001 Chevy Prism, lovely car, but only the same as a Carolla before 1998, when the Geo Prism became the Chevy Prism. In which case the inline-four model has a Toyota engine but the V6 is all GM. Mind you, still mostly the same body as the Carolla.
                  You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Quoth Rahmota View Post

As for the ethanol/biofuel/biodeisel debate I'll meet you on fratchig on that one as we NEED MORE biofuels and america does have the capacity to produce (actually overproduce) corn and other crops.

DISCLAIMER: I am a farmer who raises soybeans/corn. Aside from crop price increases of a mild (not more than a dime a bushel) nature I am not profiting from biofuels. There is no shortage of corn for food production, no shortage of seeds and no reason for price increases on the end user side except for the corporation's greed that occurs in the middle. America has more than enough agricultural capacity to provide for this.
                    Amen to that. It's the same with dairy here in MA. Prices in the store keep creeping up (the cheapest I see, barring sales, is $3.50+ a gallon), yet most local dairy farms are closing up shop because they're not getting paid enough for the milk to cover their expenses (including corn) The state has actually had to step in to bail out the local farmers or else they're all going to go down the drain.

And for the record, we raise beef, but the guy across the tracks raise(d ?) dairy. It's getting a lot harder to make a living if you arne't a huge factory farm gobbling up all the subsidies that are supposed to help the little guy.
                    Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth RentalRacer View Post
                      I swear the only people that buy them (at least around here) are total jackasses who drive 10-15 MPH under the speedlimit, take 2 miles to get up to 30mph(even though the car is capable of accelerating faster than that without flooring it), stop at GREEN lights, and generally seem to exist just to annoy the piss out everyone else unfortunate enough to be drving anywhere near them.
                      There is a reason why hybrid cars get driven like this; other than the stopping at green lights (I'm kinda baffled at that one), it's the most fuel efficient way to drive. Part of driving a hybrid car involves changing your driving habits. If you don't, your fuel savings will quickly dissappear, and you might as well just be driving any other economy car.

In fact, I read on Consumerist.com about this asshat who is suing Toyota because he isn't getting the advertised mpg for his hybrid. Had he done the SLIGHTEST bit of research, or flipped through his manual, or maybe even listened to the salesperson when he bought the fracking thing, he would have known that if you keep driving like everyone else, you'll keep on polluting like everyone else, hybrid or no hybrid. Way to go, genius. Save the planet one meaningless fashion statement at a time.

I know sharing the road with slowpokes is annoying as hell--god knows I do my share of speeding. But instead of cursing them, try to remember next time that they are using less gas than you (which indirectly lowers YOUR gas prices and reduces pollution for YOUR planet).
                      But I don't need a vagina. I have a pony.
                      -Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                      X