Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I go about restaurantin', often I will figure out what 10% is, what half of that is, then round up. Therefore, often the server will end up getting 16 - 17% and if they do a good job, I often do 20% and up. Otherwise, NO TIP AT ALL. I'm very adamant about this. I believe if you do a good job or it's obvious "it's one of those days," I'm willing to give you benefit of the doubt and give you a tip. Awesome server? Regular server? 20, baby.

You should have left NOTHING. From what you've stated, several suckiness happenings occurred, at least that you mentioned...

- Despite the fact that you were virtually the only one there, she was a ninja.
    - Never got refills as a result nor confirmation that order was complete.
    - Blatant about stereotyping.

I would also later have called and complained to management. Here's why...do you really want to be served by that person again? Unless you're certain she's not there again, you're going to have to wonder about that each and every time you decide to go, assuming you do decide to go again.

My wife and I frequented TeeJayes a number of times and we had a regular server, Marcus (this was years ago, so don't worry about it). Along with me and wifey, there was also her sister and her boyfriend of the day. Anyway, like I said, this was a place we frequented...then Marcus quit. Now, Marcus was just a fun guy to mess around with and we gave him awesome tips. The sister also got his number and...well, that's another story, but anyway!

After he quit, we'd often get this one guy who was kind of a douche, so I messed with him...constantly. For example, and yes, this is for anyone who's never been to TeeJayes or just doesn't have one. They have this thing called a Barnyard Buster. It's a cheap meal that's BIG. If I remember correctly, they have gravy on top of biscuits and home fries with eggs (normally over easy) underneath all of it. Makes me drool just thinking about it.

Anyway, he was always very short with us, didn't really give us refills, etc...and yet, it seemed like he was ALWAYS our server after Marcus left. So I started asking for my eggs to be made different EVERY TIME. I went in this order each time we frequented until the very last (and you'll see why in a second)...

- Over easy.
    - Over medium.
    - Poached.
    - Hard.
    - Scrambled.
    - Benedict.

You should've seen the look on his face when I said benedict. He came back about 5 minutes later, trying to act all smug...

Douche: "Sir, we can make them bendict, but you'll have to provide your own hollandaise sauce."
    Me: "Oh. Well, over easy then."

Here's another fun thing to do with a lousy server: Waitress (or waiter in this case) Tag. It works like this...you come in in a group (I think this is when he stopped getting us refills). As soon as he serves your drinks, one or more of you casually sip at your drinks while one person completely gulps his/hers down. The waitress comes back, picks up your empty glass, and walks away. While waiting for the return, someone else finishes. The waitress comes back with your full glass, picks up the empty, and leaves. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Literally, we kept him going for about 5 returns until he finally got pissed and didn't come back until our order was up. It's not in my nature to mess with servers normally, but when you're an established douche and I'm not going to get away from you unless I eat somewhere else, it's just as fun to mess with you.

Lesson of the day: customers can suck. If you suck first, expect the customer to suck more. If you're not sucking and the customer is, post here!
    You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Gunsage, sounds like you were a pretty sucky customer. The Golden Rule very much applies to being a customer OR an employee. You will reap what you sow.

Complaining privately to a supervisor the first time Marcus was rude or didn't get you refills, and asking for a different server next time, would have been more than sufficient. Instead, you chose to give this server ample reasons to provide poor service, while never speaking with him or his manager about the reason you were being so rude.

Thumbs down.
      My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

What I don't understand is, if you were missing fries and refills, why didn't you find someone to get them for you? I know you said no one was around, but why didn't you pipe up a bit or look for someone? It's one thing not to say anything to the server when you see her/him being slammed and too busy to adequately take care of your table. But when there are few patrons and your server is MIA, you should address the issue of not being served. Doing so in a polite manner is not sucky behavior.

I would have still tipped 15% UNTIL I heard the comment. Then I would have brought it to the manager's attention and/or asked the server for an explanation when the check was brought out. Intentionally providing poor service is horrible and the server should be called on it. Also, if you were missing part of your meal, that part should have been credited. Any responsible establishment would do so, though this would involve management. Don't count on little miss server to do it.
        Last edited by bainsidhe; 01-18-2008, 01:17 AM.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
          I would have left her $2 and a note, since she didn't come back to the table, or asked the hostess for a manager and explained the situation. If I had spoken to the manager, I would have told him to talk to your regular waitress.
          same here but i may done 2.80 so it was 10%

Comment

Good news, folks! I took your advice!

My boyfriend and I went in to GT again today, and our regular waitress was working (). We told her what had happened the last time, and she went and got the manager. He did NOT seem happy at ALL about what we told him. According to him, they've had a lot of problems and complaints about the girl, and now our complaint was one too many. He then said that he'd have a talk to her about it right then and take it from there.

I got really worried, I didn't want her to get fired or anything (I'd hate to have that on my head), but right before we left, our regular waitress came up and told us what had happened (this is why I love her, she always lets us in the know).

She said that the manager told the bad waitress about all the complaints about her lackluster performance. that he was going to put her through a "re-training", which is that he'd take her off the floor (no waitressing) for a long while, put her on a regular hourly pay and have her do other duties (bussing tables, dishes, hosting) and then have her shadow others for a while until she relearned what she needed to know. If she didn't show improvement after that, they'd boot her. Apparently, she didn't take it well, got very mad, and told him he "couldn't f***ing do that to her". The manager then said that she was free to quit now if she wanted to save him the time, and she was about 2 seconds away of him making that decision for her.

The bad waitress ended up staying.

I guess we'll see what happens in a couple weeks after this 'program'.
            "I, too, am saddened by the lack of hookers in this thread." -LingualMonkey

Comment

Quoth Saydrah View Post
              Gunsage, sounds like you were a pretty sucky customer. The Golden Rule very much applies to being a customer OR an employee. You will reap what you sow.

Complaining privately to a supervisor the first time Marcus was rude or didn't get you refills, and asking for a different server next time, would have been more than sufficient. Instead, you chose to give this server ample reasons to provide poor service, while never speaking with him or his manager about the reason you were being so rude.

Thumbs down.
              Sounds like they were making Marcus reap what he sowed. So your metaphor kind of fails here.

Of course a manager should have been informed and more should have been done if possible, and it was not the best way to handle it, but that was not the best metaphor to choose in this scenario. Just thought I would throw that out there.

On topic, congrats on a good ending Nakajo .
              "It's times like these that make me wanna go straight."
              James from Pokémon.

Comment

Nakajo, I'm happy to hear the update.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I voted that the waitress was sucky....

what I am absolutely flabbergasted by is that 24 people (more than half) voted that this woman deserved to keep her tip.
                  GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth Velfarre2001 View Post
                    Sounds like they were making Marcus reap what he sowed. So your metaphor kind of fails here.

Of course a manager should have been informed and more should have been done if possible, and it was not the best way to handle it, but that was not the best metaphor to choose in this scenario. Just thought I would throw that out there.

On topic, congrats on a good ending Nakajo .
                    Disagree. Two wrongs do not make a right- they were perpetuating a cycle of suck, so continuing to reap what they sowed. Marcus would have gotten his comeuppance without Gunsage + company sucking so much, and Gunsage would have received a different waiter had he made clear that he did not want Marcus to serve him due to Marcus's behavior. Had they been polite but firm, they would have gotten the same from management; instead they were rude, and continued to get the same from their waiter.
                    My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

Quoth Saydrah View Post
                      Disagree. Two wrongs do not make a right- they were perpetuating a cycle of suck, so continuing to reap what they sowed. Marcus would have gotten his comeuppance without Gunsage + company sucking so much, and Gunsage would have received a different waiter had he made clear that he did not want Marcus to serve him due to Marcus's behavior. Had they been polite but firm, they would have gotten the same from management; instead they were rude, and continued to get the same from their waiter.
                      Depends on how you want to slice it. I generally like to see how far I can stretch a metaphor when I am bored.
                      "It's times like these that make me wanna go straight."
                      James from Pokémon.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                        I voted that the waitress was sucky....

what I am absolutely flabbergasted by is that 24 people (more than half) voted that this woman deserved to keep her tip.
                        I voted for that one...but with the word "tip" in quotation marks I assumed it was implying that she received a crappy tip and deserved it, but then I hadn't figured out the actual percentage, so I didn't realize she had actually received a fairly standard tip when I voted. Plus I think she was more than a "little" sucky
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Honestly if I received horrible service, I won't tip. That hardly ever happens because I know how it is needing tips.

But if you think about it, tips are for good service, not just doing your job. I know that sounds harsh but I heard that somewhere and it makes sense. Doing a crappy job doesn't exactly warrant you any brownie points.

I can understand if its swamped and the waitress or waiter is running around and is trying but when they openly admit they did it for crappy reasons, not worth it. I honestly wouldn't have left her anything--which I get would help with her "stereotype" but thats what she gets for assuming.

The other day we went to Chili's and the place is expensive enough and we're not rich. It was kind of quiet, the food wasn't as good as usual and our waiter didn't pay to much attention to us. I leave for the bathroom and learn that my fiance tipped our waiter $20 on our like $50 meal. I was about to kill him. On the upside I did learn that we made the waiter's night so that was a plus.

Comment

You were way to generous with the tip you left. Personally I would've left her 10%.

Comment

Working...
                            X