This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concert Sighting

So on Sunday my boyfriend and I went to a concert. It was amazing I got to see two of my favorite bands live (Sonata Arctica and Nightwish), I was thrilled. Some of you may be familiar with Nightwish, if not I should mention that their former lead singer, Tarja, left the band and the band then selected a new singer, Anette. Out of all my friends every one thinks the new singer is very good, and I have heard only a few complaints from others. But at the concert I had the misfortune of being behind some drunken skank who took every quiet moment to shout "Anette sucks". It was very annoying for many reasons, one being that Anette had nothing to do with Tarja leaving the band, so why blame her for something that happened before she even came along? Secondly she was in a room packed with maybe 200+ (?) people, all of whom were screaming how awesome they were. So it's not like she could even hear her. Really all she was doing was annoying the few people next to her. And even if Anette did hear her, I doubt she cared, for one thing she's the only idiot in a packed room who thinks so, secondly the band already has her money so what do they care? Her and her embarrassed looking boyfriend left about halfway through Nightwishes set, and I never saw them again thankfully. Even with that one annoyance though I still had the time of my life, I was only feet away from freakin' Sonata Arctica AND Nightwish!!
    wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?
    ----
    Yes, that’s right. It’s a pair of gold foil headphones. Gold foil. Finally, headphones just as awful as your taste in music.

First: I hate you. 2 of my favorite bands and you got to see them!
    Oh well. I got to see Within Temptation last time they were in Chicago, so I should be happy.

Second: Such morons need to get smacked. Sure Anette has a different voice then Tarja but she's still an excellent singer. My husband and I both like her too. Though we are curious about why Tarja left, I keep hearing tons of rumors and never found anything official.
    "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure why either. I've heard that she left them and I've heard that they asked her to leave. Also I wish I could see Within Temptation.
      wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?
      ----
      Yes, that’s right. It’s a pair of gold foil headphones. Gold foil. Finally, headphones just as awful as your taste in music.

Comment

I've got albums by NW with both, and I like both. Yes, they're different, but I have no problem with Anette at all.

Regarding Tarja, the only clue I have is that they're still linking to her webpage on the official, so whatever happened, they're being professional / amicable about it. But I've heard both, as well.

The moron obviously doesn't realise how many bands have changed lineups over their lives. Jethro Tull, over twenty years, has had nearly that many different lineups. It's part of life.
        The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Quoth Nyx View Post
          I'm not entirely sure why either. I've heard that she left them and I've heard that they asked her to leave.
          That made quite a few headlines here. After the last concert of the End of an Era tour, Tarja was handed a letter in the backstage, where she was fired from the band. The letter was signed by all the other members of the band, and cited multiple reasons including differences of musical vision between the band and Tarjas Manager. (Note: not Tarja herself)

The band released the letter to the public later on, and that too was printed in the local media.

Comment

Welcome to my world. I am a Kiss fan, and such disagreements are common in my fandom. Honestly, there has been much bandwidth of various message boards wasted by different factions all arguing which guitarist is better and which drummer is better, while simultainously bashing the ones they don't like. Only thing you can do is either keep out, or enjoy watching the trainwreck unfold.

I'm sure at the concert that for every "Annette sucks" this drunken bint gave out, there were a hundred more "Annette rocks!" being given out by others.
            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

If she hated the new singer why did she go to the concert??

I too was wary of Nightwish's new singer until I heard her. Comparing her to Tarja is apples and oranges but she's very good with their new stuff.
              https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Nightwish rocks. Tarja rocks.

But I haven't heard anything with Annete. I only have the one album, which I bought because of a couple anime music videos I downloaded. (A Noir one, set to Bare Grace Misery, and an Evangelion one to Dead Boy's Poem, both of which happily turned out to be on the same album, incidentally the first and only CD I've bought in many years.)
                Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I saw Nightwish both at a live concert in Frankfurt early this year, as well as at Wacken in August, and I've gotta say, Anette is really good at working with the band and with the crowd. Also excellent voice, and cute as hell. Definitely a good choice as new lead.

At Wacken, we were a bit late for Nightwish, and approached the stage area just as they got started on "Bye bye beautiful". Some guy (SG) walking in the same direction turned to me.

SG: Hey, is that Nightwish?
                  Me: Yeah.
                  SG: Doesn't sound like them.
                  Me: New singer.
                  SG: Damn, that sucks.
                  Me: Not really, she's good. Try her.
                  SG: Mumble, grumble...

So, you got ignorant people everywhere; no point in letting them spoil your concert.

Also, on a sidenote: check out Van Canto. These guys rock!
                  Last edited by Canarr; 09-17-2008, 01:57 PM.
                  You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

I actually prefer the new singer of NW. I liked the old one's voice, but for some reason it just didn't work for me with their music (although I thought the concept of a heavier band with pretty operatic vocals was pretty cool).

On a separate note, where are they touring? I would probably obliterate a small country for the opportunity to go see Sonata Arctica >_>

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                      But I haven't heard anything with Annete. I only have the one album, which I bought because of a couple anime music videos I downloaded. (A Noir one, set to Bare Grace Misery, and an Evangelion one to Dead Boy's Poem, both of which happily turned out to be on the same album, incidentally the first and only CD I've bought in many years.)
                      If you like AMVs and want to hear the new singer, there is a particularly good one of Fate/Stay Night to their song Amaranth off the new album. Awesome song, and a really well-made video.

Comment

The letter they wrote to Tarja after the Helsinki show.
                        The letter she wrote to them in reply.

Nightwish's upcoming shows. I am pretty sure that all the American shows are with Sonata Arctica.
                        "When life gives you lemons, you give life a f---ing paper cut and then squeeze f---ing lemon juice on it, because life should give you something better than f---ing lemons."

Comment

You got to see Sonata Arctica live...I'm so jealous.

I once did what those girls did. I was at a Poison concert and when it got very quiet, I shouted out "I love you Brett!!" I also did that at Mediveal(sp?) Times. I had to root for the Green Knight and as he passed by, I stood up and shouted "I love you,Green Knight!" He tossed me a rose.
                          "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

Wow, you too? I went to see them a week ago. My neck still hurts from headbanging so hard. Everyone whipped out their lighters, too, for "The Islander." And Sonata was playing a bunch of songs I didn't know, but wanted to download as soon as I heard them. Plus, "Don't Say a Word." It was awesome!

Yeah, I've seen the Annette vs. Tarja debate one too many times to know to just not get involved.
                            "Oh, you hate your job? There's a club for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet down at the bar." ~Drew Carey

Comment

Uh... I was incredibly stupid not to see them in Worcester, but I told myself that I would see them in Paris next year at this time and to be patient. Well I shouldn't have been patient!
                              Although I'm a bit afraid of the Palladium in Worcester. Last time I was there (for Nightwish, ironically) the crowd pushed so hard I couldn't breathe.....
                              "When life gives you lemons, you give life a f---ing paper cut and then squeeze f---ing lemon juice on it, because life should give you something better than f---ing lemons."

Comment

Working...
                              X