This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...I...I just need food!

This is about my night at the local grocery store. I threw it here 'cause I'm not sure where it should go...

I was cooking sukiyaki for a friend of mine, and I needed some ingredients. Specifically, I needed meat, green onions, tofu, and rice. I had everything else. I went to my favorite super market, since they have the best prices and they are the only place in town that sells meat thin enough for what I need. Unfortunately, I had agreed to be at my friend's place at 7:30, and work kept me late for two hours (a story for another time) so I was already running a bit late. As I was supplying the food and cooking, I needed to be on time to the dinner party.

7:00
    So I drive down, and discover the parking lot is full. This is a local store, Maceys, and the parking lot is bigger than the store. There are several stores in the area, including Hot Topic, Big Lots, several small coffee shop-style cafes and some restaurants that all share a massive parking lot. It's rarely more than half full on a busy night. Wow, that's odd. I wonder if one of the stores around here is having a sale? Figuring that it was a good night for restaurants for some reason, I stupidly park off in the far corner (only parking there was) and go into Maceys.

7:05
    After a fair walk across the lot, I realize that is was Maceys having the sale. I submit the following evidence to back my claim:
    1. There were no carts.
    2. Everyone parked from all over the lot was coming into this store.
    3. It was packed.

7:10
    Squeezing through the crowds, I finally make it to the back of the store. I wonder why all the isles are so full, but don't pay it much thought. An employee enlightens me and tells me that it's a Midnight Madness sale, and a lot of the products have enormous discounts until closing time at midnight. When I tell him that I was only here for some quick groceries, he gives me a look of genuine pity.

7:20
    I manage to get everything I need. I start to make my way to the front of the store to pay.

7:25
    I discover why there were so many people in the isles from the front of the store winding to the back. They were standing in line. The line to pay literally ran from the front of the store all the way to the back. Imagine a store a little smaller than most Wal Marts, and you can understand my horror.

7:27
    Realize that there is no express line. Call everyone and let them know I won't get out for a while.

7:30
    Recognize a friend of mine in line, near the front. Beg him to let me in, as I had four items compared to everyone else's 40-50 items (no lie!). He says sure, as long as it's okay with everyone else in line. I shout back, and they all say it's fine. Lucky~

7:35
    Discover that there is a separate line after all for people with few items and nothing that needs weighing. I have onions, so this doesn't work for me, but it was happy/sad to find out.

7:50
    FREEDOM!

I got to the dinner at 8:15. I totally suck, but friends are forgiving when the sukiyaki tastes as good as mine does. (It's not hard. Sukiyaki tastes good all by itself)

Oh, MAN, though. I have never seen a store that full. I really didn't expect it to be that full ever. I can't complain, I guess they made a good wad of cash from the experience (we hope) but HOLY CRUD. I must look out for these specials and avoid them when I'm doing my "quickie" shopping!
    If there’s one thing women love, it’s the guy that just can’t seem to find the line that divides “Ha Ha” and “Stacey, get your purse, we’re leaving before he comes back.”.

--Gravekeeper

Sounds like stores in NJ when people hear the word "snow".

Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
      "snow".
      Not so loud! They'll hear you...
      "I'll probably come round and steal the food out of your fridge later too, then run a key down the side of your car as I walk away from your house, which I've idly set ablaze" - Mil Millington

Comment

Never fear, MMM, I'm not in NJ anymore.

(I think I'm funny.)
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
        X