Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think our waiter may have gotten fired last night . . .

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think our waiter may have gotten fired last night . . .

The Volde-Mart pharmacy I work in had their Christmas party last night at a fairly popular Italian chain that starts with G. While all in all we had a great time and I love the people I work with, there was some suck involved. When we got there, we were alerted that the tables were 'almost ready for the party of 28 from Walgreens'. Wait, what? No no, it's Voldemart. But the person who made the reservation used her name as well, so it wasn't a problem. We were supposed to have the back room with two large groups of tables together all to ourselves since there were so many of us, but only one half of the room was clear because a party of senior citizens showed up over an hour late for their reservation and were still there. (Sorry, I think if you're THAT late, you should loose the reservation).

Fortunately, some of our group were running late so by the time they arrived and things on one side of the room were getting really squashy (it's a good thing we all get along, heh), they finally cleared out. If we'd all shown up on time there just wouldn't have been enough room for everybody. Then our waiter shows up, looking clearly annoyed at the whole thing, and starts haphazardly taking drink orders and it seems as if we're the most irritating people in the world to him. One of our group was only over on her lunch hour so she ordered her food and had eaten, paid, and left while the rest of us were still just sipping drinks and appetizers. This comes into play later.

Waiter would leave for long amounts of time, with half of the people who ordered drinks or apps sitting there with nothing, although he at least did explain that there was only one bartender and she was a bit overwhelmed. No problem. The rest of our group shows up and is seated once the other half of the room is cleaned and he slouches down to one end of the room to start getting food orders. I see one of my colleagues make a catbutt face while she's trying to order and waiter is talking to her. She'd never eaten there before and asked him what came with a certain entrée. His reply:

"I don't know, what's it say?. I dunno what stuff comes with, I just punch buttons in on the computer, you need to read the menu."

Some people ordered salads and asked what dressings there were to choose from, and he snapped "Only two, house or ranch is all we have. I always bring one bowl of each with each salad" It turns out they had more than four dressings to pick from. I don't think any of us got to order without him 'correcting' us one way or the other. As in "You have to specify which because everything is so different!" instead of a simple "___ or ___?" Shortly after everyone had finally gotten started, the manager came in to see how we were all doing and the person who'd been told bluntly to read the menu herself relayed the story to him. He looked horrified, said he'd get us a new server and hurried from the room. Two very friendly, if not hyper waitresses came bouncing in to refill drinks and had to spend five minutes getting dressing orders because the first waiter hadn't specified which flavors. They kept coming back, and coming back, and coming back, asking how things were, refilling the drinks, and bringing bread, to the point where it started to feel like overkill and I was getting a little embarrassed. Our food starts arriving and one of the waiters holds up a platter and wants to know who ordered the bruchetta and also who ordered calamari. There ended up being an extra calamari because first waiter had put the order in twice and the manager just told him to give it to whoever wanted it. No one claimed the bruchetta, either. Two minutes later several staff come in, loaded down with plates and plates of the stuff and gave that to us, too. Later they showed up with a serving of Greek custard for each of us as well. All the while apologizing profusely.

Remember my coworker that had to eat and run because she was on lunch? Now comes the fun part. Hyper waitress comes back in, holding a loooooong receipt and asking if anyone by the name of Coworker On Lunch was there. Because when she replaced first waiter, they transferred his orders over to her, but somehow everyone's order ended up on poor COL's Visa. Yes, all 30 odd something of us. Waitress then had to make another round down the room, taking all of our orders again so they could get it sorted out so COL didn't end up buying us all dinner unawares. I'm not even sure how this happened since she paid before we had even ordered our food, but I know it's not good. And yes, the first waiter did ask and was aware that most of us would be a separate check except for the couples and families. We waited about 30 minutes before that got sorted out and we could all go up front and pay individually, but these poor people never did stop apologizing and I hate to think how stressed they must have been. One of the younger waiters came in at one point and said "Hey we're really sorry about all this and we hope it won't stop you from coming back. But we did send that douchebag home!" While that wasn't necessarily appropriate for him to do, something tells me that our first waiter already had somewhat of a reputation there. And I went to the restaurant when it first opened, and he was there and I remember my Mom not caring for his service too much.

Turns out that he saw COL on her way out and said something to her about the fact that he'd been sent home for the night because of us and said "Last time this happened I got sent home for a week to think about what I'd done." She mentioned this to the manager, who was even more mortified by it than he already was. I'm not sure the guy's still gonna have a job now, and I kind o feel bad, but management also mentioned that we were hardly the first people to say something and that they'd gotten quite a few complaints on him recently. I guess that would explain why they went into overkill with the customer worship on us.

It was a very weird experience
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

I would not feel bad, I don't think waiter is something he was meant to be.

Comment

It sounds like if he wasn't fired that night, he probably soon will be. He's plain lousy.

It's nice to hear that fixed things and did a good job the rest of the night. If I was in that situation, I'd probably return to the restaurant based on that.
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
        It's nice to hear that fixed things and did a good job the rest of the night. If I was in that situation, I'd probably return to the restaurant based on that.
        Oh no doubt I'll go back. The prices are great, the food is AWESOME, and the staff we did end up with were too. Just from the way things got escalated so quickly after my coworker said what she did kind of gave us an idea that this wasn't his first offense. I remember the first time I went there I wasn't impressed with him, either. If having a large group to wait on aggravated him that much, he should have just asked if someone else could take it.

Comment

I would make sure that someone at least tells the manager that they more than made up for the first waiter's sucky attitude. In my opinion, the restaurant more than made up for the initial grief. I can be a hard ass about these things, so that's saying a lot.

It's also nice to hear that none of you went SC on the staff after the waiter was removed from the situation.
          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

We work at Volde-Mart, it would have been hypocritical of us to take it out on the guy's coworkers

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
              I would not feel bad, I don't think waiter is something he was meant to be.
              ditto.
              Call me heartless, but when nationwide unemployment is still over 9% at last check, there is no reason for a company or its customers to have to deal with someone who clearly does not want to do their work when there are likely dozens of people lined up outside who are willing and eager to do the work.
              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I mostly feel bad for poor coworker getting 30+ meals put on her card! How do you charge someone who paid and left over an hour ago?? At least it's not valid if she didn't sign the slip.

Reminds me how my boyfriend went on a business trip and when he gave the front desk his debit visa card for incidentals they somehow charged HIS AND HIS COWORKERS room to his card, which of course took all his money, so every time he used his card he was getting a 35$ overdraft fee which totaled something like 300$ in overdrafts by the end...and the Hotel said it wasn't their responsibility to refund him that!
                "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                  ditto.
                  Call me heartless, but when nationwide unemployment is still over 9% at last check, there is no reason for a company or its customers to have to deal with someone who clearly does not want to do their work when there are likely dozens of people lined up outside who are willing and eager to do the work.
                  I'm right with you on this one, actually. One of my coworkers in another department was off Friday and Sunday, but he called in Saturday so he could have a three day weekend with which to get completely wasted on liquor and thought it was hilarious. He left his department a person short on one of the busiest weekends of the year. I'm not sure why I'm so pissed off at him, but I am. I don't think he realizes there would be lots of people willing to jump in and replace him in a heartbeat, and management won't hesitate to make that happen, either.

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                    I mostly feel bad for poor coworker getting 30+ meals put on her card! How do you charge someone who paid and left over an hour ago?? At least it's not valid if she didn't sign the slip.

Reminds me how my boyfriend went on a business trip and when he gave the front desk his debit visa card for incidentals they somehow charged HIS AND HIS COWORKERS room to his card, which of course took all his money, so every time he used his card he was getting a 35$ overdraft fee which totaled something like 300$ in overdrafts by the end...and the Hotel said it wasn't their responsibility to refund him that!
                    Had that happen to me too. Gave them the company business card for the rooms and my personal card for the incidentals. Didn't have any incidentals, but they ended up charging the room to my card. Asked the hotel to fix it, and they said that the manager was out and would call me back in two days. Ended up calling my bank to dispute the charge.

That same day, the hotel called me to complain about the chargeback. I told them, "well, if you aren't going to fix it, then you can't have any money and can eat the chargeback fees too". Took a few months to work that out to eveybody's satisfaction.

The next year, the incidentals were allowed to be put on the company card, until they saw what my co-workers were getting on pay-per-view.

Comment

Quoth Raveni View Post
                      Asked the hotel to fix it, and they said that the manager was out and would call me back in two days.
                      Gah, let me find that work and maim them with a two by four
                      I HATE HATE HATE people who are that lazy, you do not need a manager to change payment in ANY hotel I have ever heard of (hell, I don't even think any hotel software will allow a profile to be set up that blocks that ability)... hell, if I were to tell my boss at the hotel that I needed him to take care of changing payment from one card to another I'd get bitched out for my incompetence (and rightfully so... it takes 3 mouse clicks to do).
                      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

"I don't know, what's it say?. I dunno what stuff comes with, I just punch buttons in on the computer, you need to read the menu."
                        he was rude and his response was certainly inappropriate, but i can understand to a degree, his frustration. most menus have a list of what comes with a meal listed above the section; if this one did, then she's a bit of sc for not reading it.

as for the dressing, only one? right; ranch, thousand island, italian, house and some places, oil and vinegar.

yes, i'm thinking he's not cut out for waiting, or anything else that directly involved customer service.

unfortunately for him, those jobs are few and far in between.
                        look! it's ghengis khan!
                        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

First of all, a single waitstaff for 28 people? Second of all, if this guy had a prior history, why oh why would they put him as the waitstaff of choice for a large party? Something else was going on with that one.

And I've also had a hotel mix up a payment method. I'm a little shocked by the volume of experiences people are posting here about hotels. In my case, I reserved the room using my credit card, but my sister was paying for the room with her own card. We checked out, she signed the slip for her specific credit card, yet it was my card that got charged. Fortunately I had just enough to cover the balance, but I was pretty ticked.
                          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
                            he was rude and his response was certainly inappropriate, but i can understand to a degree, his frustration. most menus have a list of what comes with a meal listed above the section; if this one did, then she's a bit of sc for not reading it.
                            We don't know the circumstances. She could have been like my mum, able to read the name of the item but not the descriptive smaller print unless wearing her reading glasses. Unfortunately she could only afford one pair, & was constantly leaving them on her desk when she got called away from doing paperwork.
                            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I've had some trouble reading menus in some restaurants, too. Sometimes the lighting isn't good, sometimes the font color is hard to make out against the background color on the menu. I've never come across a server who couldn't tell me what came with a meal.
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X