Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He'd hate me then - Skyrim, Torchligh, Kingdom of Amalur and Path of Exile all are on my regular playlist right now. My most 'non violent' game is Plants vs. Zombies!

I seriously would have called Corporate right there in the store if there wasn't a manager around!
    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
      Makes me think of the times I've bought something not traditionally used for the purpose I intend it for, and when employees asked what I was going to do and I explained, I would immediately have to cut them off and tell them that I KNOW it sounds weird, but I know exactly what I'm doing, thanks!

I mean, geeze, if the customer is sure what they want, give it to them!

I was pleasantly surprised when I bought a firearm that the male salespeople didn't try to sell me something I didn't want; in fact they helped tailor my purchase. Now, it seemed every male customer within earshot tried to talk me out of it "Naw little lady, that aint the gun you want, you want a _______ (insert gigantic impractical expensive name-brand semi here)."
      So far most of the salespeople I've spoken to at those kinds of stores have been helpful and non-judgemental. The closest any came to a comment about my gender was at one store... but that was more along the lines of "Yay! We're glad to have new people, especially women!"

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
        He'd hate me then - Skyrim, Torchligh, Kingdom of Amalur and Path of Exile all are on my regular playlist right now. My most 'non violent' game is Plants vs. Zombies!
        I PvZ.... It is my least 'violent' zombie game as well....

I have been pretty darn lucky in the Gamestops around my area - as a 30yo female gamer, I have not encountered a sucky/bigoted staffer in any of them. In fact, I had a really great conversation with one cashier a month ago that convinced me to buy a game I probably wouldn't have taken a chance on otherwise, and I loved it! (The game was Dishonored, and I later found out a friend-once-removed worked on the sound!)

Now, at the local comic shop.... It's a different story.

Comment

I think the most insulting thing is that they wanted Joyius' dad? Seriously? I think if I ever ran into that I'd be tempted to say something along the lines of "Sure, let me fly out to his grave and dig up his ashes, shall I? Oh, my mother? Let me get her ashes too." Luckily I look old enough that I don't have to deal with that anymore. I also wouldn't be buying anything at that location afterwards.

But I remember the days when gaming was geared towards guys. When having a woman at a gaming convention was a big deal. I got hit on a lot when I worked for the game store that went to the conventions a few times a year. DaDairyDruid and I are lucky that we go to a comic shop that finds us cool because we are geeks and doesn't treat me like I'm some delicate flower.
          Random conversation:
          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth Ashaela View Post
            I PvZ.... It is my least 'violent' zombie game as well....

I have been pretty darn lucky in the Gamestops around my area - as a 30yo female gamer, I have not encountered a sucky/bigoted staffer in any of them. In fact, I had a really great conversation with one cashier a month ago that convinced me to buy a game I probably wouldn't have taken a chance on otherwise, and I loved it! (The game was Dishonored, and I later found out a friend-once-removed worked on the sound!)

Now, at the local comic shop.... It's a different story.
            35 year old gamer and haven't come across anything like this, like you more the hey you enjoy this game what about this.

Now my local comic shop, one of the guys there knows me by sight and goes and fetches my order without asking me my name
            Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

what an ass!! does it REALLY matter what gender you are if you want to buy a game?? Age i can understand...but you had an ID so it should NOT matter if you want to buy a bloody nasty game or not.

did you get the game? if so i would have gone back to the guy and said "Its ok...i got the game. my daddy couldn't make it here though. sorry." and walk away. id still report him though because thats no way to treat a customer.
              NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

And the main reason I get Sims is to lock them in a room with no door...
                This! It is hilariously funny when they start to go insane. 'Death by Flies' will always be my favorite, though.

As for the OP, the fact that the cashier said all of this BS in front of his female coworker really kind of says it all, frankly. What a dumbass.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                  It always blows my mind when male clerks in game stores (video and otherwise) take the attitude that because I'm female that I don't really play games, especially violent ones. Um, yeah, then explain my addiction to Doom when I was younger...I LOVED blowing things to shit in that game. Age or sex does not define what sort of games a person likes and wants to play...*seethes angrily*
                  You must be my long lost twin. I loved doom as well! I still play it even. (Not trying to derail the thread, my apologies if I do, but Steam sells copies of 1 and 2 for i believe 9.99 usd each)
                  If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

This is a situation where the phrase "The customer is always right " applies. You know exactly what you want and it's well within store policy to provide it, so why not? And have you ladies (and gents) played Dragon's Dogma? I saw other rpgs mentioned, but not that one. Give it a try.
                    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Sorry I'm late! Anyways, we went back yesterday, and the manager came up to us and told us that his co-worker, the female, ratted him out and he said he was "going to quit" anyways because he couldn't work where they allowed females to pretend they were gamers to shop. He apologized to us, and gave mom some credit on the Game Stop card.

Comment

Quoth Joyius View Post
                        Sorry I'm late! Anyways, we went back yesterday, and the manager came up to us and told us that his co-worker, the female, ratted him out and he said he was "going to quit" anyways because he couldn't work where they allowed females to pretend they were gamers to shop. He apologized to us, and gave mom some credit on the Game Stop card.
                        Dear god, I'd love to introduce that little misogynist to one of my gaming group members. She's a third degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and not afraid to stand toe-to-toe with the boys. She's a great deal of fun to game with, and one of the reasons I'm very much for more ladies in the gaming world.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

That employee is such a tool; hope he never gets another gaming-related job again! Still, I think the manager should have had the employee apologize to you.
                          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Joyius View Post
                            wow that little shit is in for a big surprise when he goes out into the world and finds that women can do anything they want.

(is it bad that i'm betting a girl beat him on a game and that's why he's so prickly about it?)

Comment

Quoth Joyius View Post
                              Wooow, he actually rage-quit in real life?

What a troll.
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Joyius View Post
                                Sorry I'm late! Anyways, we went back yesterday, and the manager came up to us and told us that his co-worker, the female, ratted him out and he said he was "going to quit" anyways because he couldn't work where they allowed females to pretend they were gamers to shop.
                                Then he's finished working in anything remotely relating to gaming.

A moment of silence, please, for his non-existent wisdom.
                                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                                X