This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth raudf View Post
    Mom does too. I got into a discussion with campus security because my car wouldn't start. Everything in the cab came on just fine, including the radio. It just wouldn't turn over. Security thought it was the battery and wanted to give me a jump. I told him it wasn't the battery, because the electronics inside came on just fine, but there was no click for a turn over. I had just called Mom collect (no cell at the time) and she came down to look at it.

What she did was stupid, dangerous and dropped the guy's jaw. She told me to try starting it and sighed, "Starter's either going out or the wire is loose. Just a sec and I'll know more." She pulled a big wrench and a heavy set of thick rubber work gloves from the truck and said, "We're going to bypass it and I never want to see you do this." She smacked the starter's posts with the wrench, when I turned the key... which got the car running. "And if you turn the engine off I will kill you."

I did file the trick away for future reference, but she doesn't need to know that. Oh, and it was a loose wire and Dad had it fixed in a matter of minutes.
    I drove my 79 IH Scout for 7 months with a borked electrical system. I had the 'magic box', this little brown box with assorted wires coming out of it and a little black switch. Connect between battery and alternator and flip the switch and jump in and start the little beast up, get out, tuck the box somewhere safe and drop the trunk. I picked up this little gem for 19.95 from JC Whitney in about 1992 or so, when the scout had electrical issues and we didn't have the money to do the actual repairs.

I remember pissing off some silly JR officer. I was at the bottom of the entrance ramp of exit 84 for 395 southbound. I ran up the gears and merged into traffic in front of a porsche that was already going highway speed on the bridge when I started. Nothing like a 345 V8 hauling much less than the school bus it was designed to pull. He cornered me on base where I was waiting for Rob to get out of duty so we could hit the exchange for groceries and was thoroughly disheartened to hear that I bought the scout for 2500 $US and paid at the time 250 $US per year for insurance.

And then there was the time they caught me smuggling a sheep on base ...
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Earlier in the topic I mentioned Dragon's Dogma. Great RPG. And today I just picked up Ni No Kuni for the PS3. PS3 owners who enjoy RPG's should give this game a try.

And TC, I'd like to add you on my 3DS. Could you PM me your friend code?
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

The worst part about the asshole GS employee is, unless he tries to get hired at another GS, prospective employers won't know how he acted unless they "know" somebody. IIRC, at least in the US, old employers are not allowed to divulge much about ex-employees.
        Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
        And then there was the time they caught me smuggling a sheep on base ...
        Now, now, you know the rules No teasing. Spill.

Hero - I have heard many good things about Ni No Kuni -- up to and including a fiend who ordered the collector's set just to sell off the bonus goodies, but loved the actual game so much he kept them all ^_^
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

If I had known about a collector's set, I would have gotten it. Alas, that's my only regret with the game.
          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I bet if the Gord heard that turd he would of kicked his ass out of the store so hard he would have achieved orbit.

P.S. I second the telling of the sheep story. Was a recruit getting homesick for the farm?
            Last edited by marlovino; 01-31-2013, 01:55 AM.
            I'm tolerant of everyone and everything except for assholes. - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
              Careful. TVTropes is one of the biggest time sinks I've ever come across.
              Tell me about it. I'll be looking at the tropes connected to a TV show, then I'll click on the link for a particular trope to get an explanation of it (as well as additional examples), then that particular trope will lead me to other ones that I want to read about...

Comment

Quoth siskaren View Post
                Tell me about it. I'll be looking at the tropes connected to a TV show, then I'll click on the link for a particular trope to get an explanation of it (as well as additional examples), then that particular trope will lead me to other ones that I want to read about...
                And before you know it, it's midnight, you need to sleep, but there just one more article you have to read....
                I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth wolfie
                  Paxillated, are you familiar with TVTropes?

Quoth Jedimaster:
                  Careful. TVTropes is one of the biggest time sinks I've ever come across.
                  Never heard of them. Never. Never planned to go to bed at 10, and wound up staying up until 6, either. Especially not more than once.

Quoth EricKei:
                  IIRC, at least in the US, old employers are not allowed to divulge much about ex-employees.
                  http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2005-10-08/
                  I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
                  - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                    If I had known about a collector's set, I would have gotten it. Alas, that's my only regret with the game.
                    Actually be glad you didn't. They apparently under produced/allowed over ordering for the collector set and many people didn't get it despite ordering it. While they say they will be compensating folks for it, I wouldn't be surprised to find that ens up being a refund and apology.

Comment

Quoth Freak View Post
                      Why on earth would any service assistant care who's buying what game, as long as they're old enough to do so legally? Unless they specifically say they're buying it as a gift, and need some advice on what game to buy.
                      I did basically this back during the holidays. Had an older couple shopping for their grandson, and the misguided young man had asked for a DVD and a game. Specifically, Dragonball Evolution and Dragonball Z Kinect. I was happy to inform them that, fortunately, we carried neither. I advised them that those two were just about the worst things to ever come out of the franchise. I think I may have suggested they find out if he already owned the series collections.
                      » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

Quoth Joyius View Post
                        Sorry I'm late! Anyways, we went back yesterday, and the manager came up to us and told us that his co-worker, the female, ratted him out and he said he was "going to quit" anyways because he couldn't work where they allowed females to pretend they were gamers to shop. He apologized to us, and gave mom some credit on the Game Stop card.
                        I have to wonder if he tries to get a job working in an electronics store....

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        The worst part about the asshole GS employee is, unless he tries to get hired at another GS, prospective employers won't know how he acted unless they "know" somebody. IIRC, at least in the US, old employers are not allowed to divulge much about ex-employees.
                        Given his actions seem to be fairly brazen, I'd say that he'd be fairly upfront on how he treats female customers and he'd probably be likely to pull the same shit again.

Although a friend once put something on her facebook:

"For those men who say a women's place is in the kitchen, beware: it's where the knives are kept."
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth paxillated View Post
                          Never heard of them. Never. Never planned to go to bed at 10, and wound up staying up until 6, either. Especially not more than once.
                          I checked, and nope, there's no trope for that.
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                            Curse you!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                              Like I said. Time sink.
                              I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth Joyius View Post
                                he said he was "going to quit" anyways because he couldn't work where they allowed females to pretend they were gamers to shop
                                I wonder what thoughts are running through his narrow, bigoted little mind. Does he want the store to ban women?

The gaming group at my large university is run by a woman, and my female friends from high school dominated my ass in Halo many a time.
                                There is no problem we cannot ignore, confront, plot against, drown in chocolate sauce, or run over with the car- Christopher Elliot

Comment

Working...
                                X