This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoiding the point

We went out at the weekend for a birthday meal at the local and it gets really busy. We've turned up before with 10 of us and struggled to find a table and were advised to book in advance in future.

So I did. I called during the week, asked for a reserved spot for between 8-12 people, expecting to actually have 10 and we'd squeeze in if there were more.

We get there at the weekend and the place is busy but not packed. I tell them we have a table reserved and they go to the book .

Employee 1: Umm... let me just find out where that is for you.
    Employee 2: Who did you speak to? Right, let me sort that for you.
    Employee 3: Oh, umm... ok... umm, it was <name> right? *turns pages* *runs off and comes back a couple of times never leaving behind the bar*

After about 5 minutes its obvious: Its not in the book. At this point I'd spotted a couple of tables next to each other which would do fine and dispatch someone to go check if they were free or reserved. They were free. Fine.

After another 5 minutes Employee 3 finally admits there is no reservation and I tell them its ok, we've found two tables we can use, point to them, and order drinks.

I know its not truly awful service and I didn't treat it as such. I'm just glad the table that was available didn't go whilst they were running around trying to avoid telling me they'd lost the reservation!
    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

I'm glad you got your tables, and I completely agree with you. At some point, the employees need to say "So sorry, something got messed up, we'll fix this and take care of you." Most customers are reasonable and will appreciate the attention and action taken on their behalf.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

and if you ever make reservations again i'd recommend getting the name of the person and calling back the day before... cos obviously they either lost your reservation or never wrote it down to begin with.

assuming you want to go back that is.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
        and if you ever make reservations again i'd recommend getting the name of the person and calling back the day before... cos obviously they either lost your reservation or never wrote it down to begin with.

assuming you want to go back that is.
        Oh, we will go back I'm sure. Its a nice pub and always does great for our group. Yeah, I'm going to be checking the reservations in future to make sure they were recorded though!

I did actually know who and when I booked it with - she'd had a run of customers just as I rang so asked me to call back in 5 minutes, I did and we reconfirmed what we were booking.
        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

One thing we're taught at my motel is that if there's a minor screw-up in the reservation then downplay it as much as possible so they don't stress out. For instance, if I have them down for one bed, and they confirm it should be two, and I still have a two-bed available, then it's "Oh yes, I see that. Two beds. [switchy switchy in the computer] Now, if you could please just fill out the check-in card..." You just fix the issue and don't make a fuss about it, and everyone is happy.

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
          I'm glad you got your tables, and I completely agree with you. At some point, the employees need to say "So sorry, something got messed up, we'll fix this and take care of you." Most customers are reasonable and will appreciate the attention and action taken on their behalf.
          Exactly. As long as you fix the issue, instead of dawdling and passing the buck, then the customer is generally happy.
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I agree with that however they did fail to actually try to solve the problem and look around for an alternative set of tables that weren't busy or reserved - we had to do that ourselves whilst they got into a bit of tiz behind the bar (possibly trying to find who to blame). None of them actually went and looked to see if there was space anyway!

Comment

A bunch of us made a reservation at Pizza Express during uni for a friend's birthday. We even called to check all was okay the day before. When we turned up the place was full, there was no trace of our booking and the twat on front desk told us to "go away, we can't cater for a bunch of students tonight".

AFAIK the one whose name was on the booking complained but nothing became of it because, you see, our name just wasn't down. We never went there again. We still don't.
              "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Working...
              X