Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't think I was sucky...and I don't want to be...(longish)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think I was sucky...and I don't want to be...(longish)

But there is more to come...

I've been dealing with getting my car fixed for nearly 2 weeks now. What started as needing two new tires (I thought they were out of balance...ho boy was I wrong) turned into a two week string of visits to the local auto repair place and close to another $1000 on top of the tires.

I received a survey from the company and decided to fill it out, explaining that I was not really satisfied with what had happened and that it was going to require 4 trips to get the problem solved. (As of now, it appears resolved and required 6 trips.)

This morning, I found an email in my inbox from the manager of the repair place. In it, he stated that he was sorry to hear that I was unhappy with my purchase and to contact him either via email or calling him. I fired off an email and then headed to the store for what was to be visit #5.

This is the email I sent:

Hi <manager>,

Really, I'm not disappointed in the purchase. You and your staff have been wonderful to work with. Please understand that I am frustrated with the situation, not you or your staff. It is not my intention for anyone to get in trouble or be reprimanded over this.

My disappointment was, and is, that it has taken so many trips to get the car fixed. I know that the first time I was in was because I thought the tires might be out of balance. They were obviously worn and the tech working on it said that they inspected the suspension and couldn't find any reason that they would have worn like that. Yet when I brought it back later, I was told that a number of parts were in need of replacement. I'm not sure why this wasn't caught originally, but I do get that I wasn't there for suspension work and that that may be part of the reason.

The rear end still made noise so I brought it back. The way I understand it, a part was not replaced when the rear suspension work was done. That that was missed and required another trip bothered me. When I stopped in Saturday morning to get the part replaced, I was told that nobody really knew what was going on with the car. It was inspected again and I was told that the mount plate and the new strut needed to be replaced. One part needed to be ordered and I would have to come back yet again.

This will make 5 trips to get this problem resolved and as much I think you guys are great, I don't relish the thought of spending more time in your waiting room.

Antares

When I walked in the manager greeted me and said that he had just sent a response to my email. They got the car right in, found that it needed a different part which required going to a dealership about 25 miles away. We had a fair bit of snow last night, but the roads were pretty good. The manager offered to drive me home and pick me up, but I wanted to get some pictures, so I took the car.

I got a call the part was in a couple of hours later, found out classes were cancelled and went back in to get the work done. They brought the car in immediately...no waiting 10-15 minutes for someone to be available. All told I was in and out in about 30-40 minutes. That was visit number 6.

It was upon leaving that I began to twitch.
    I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

As I walked out of the repair shop to get in my car, I noticed that there was damage to the front bumper. I inspected it there and left. I didn't want to argue with the guys at the desk. Since I had the manager's email address I wrote an email which is currently sitting in a draft state as I debate on whether to send it or not.
    I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

This is the reply I'm considering sending. If anyone has any input or suggestions, feel free to share. If you think I'm being to whiny or picky, please let me know too.

Hi <Manager>,

Classes were cancelled today so I stopped by this afternoon and had the repair done. The guys got the car right in and it seems quiet. I figure I'll know better once the roads clear. They also took care of a streak of grease that appeared on the visor and headliner this morning. They were quick and efficient. Thanks for taking care of it.

I also want to thank you guys for the heads up on the rear brakes. If they had not been covered under warranty from another shop, I'd have had you do them. I had the brakes taken care of this afternoon after I picked up the car. I know that doesn't really help you in the short term, but I do appreciate the notice.

Finally, there is something I am hesitant to bring this up. I am doing so, because to me, it reflects on my <company> experience.

When I picked up my car this afternoon, I noticed damage to the front bumper. Although I cannot prove this, I am convinced that it happened on my Saturday visit because there was no damage to the car last week. When the car was brought from the service bay, it was parked by the exit to the service area. When I backed out, I could hear it scraping across the sidewalk/curb there. I thought I should get out and check it for damage at the time, but ended up not doing so. I wish now that I had.

I stopped by the body shop to see if the bumper could be repaired and was informed that the best option would be to replace it. The damage doesn't appear to be causing any danger of the bumper coming loose and looks fairly cosmetic. What upsets me about this is that the bumper was replaced about 7 or 8 months ago and is fairly new.

I know your guys aren't hot-rodding around and I know that they're careful with the cars so I don't know what to say. Maybe not parking cars where mine was? I just don't know. As frustrated as I was with the back and forth trips, I'd have rather made another half a dozen trips than deal with this because I really care about maintaining my cars and keeping them looking as good as possible.

I'm not asking for anything, I just wanted to make you aware of this.

Antares

My photo blog.

Comment

i fail to see the suck in what you've written or done here.

you've been polite - extra polite really - and kept your letter to specific issues.

hope you get a reply about this soon.

Comment

The response I received has been absolutely nothing.

If I claim it on insurance, my agent says it will probably be an 'at fault' collision claim and I should try to get their shop insurance to pay for it. Since I am only 'mostly certain' and not 'completely certain' that it occurred there, I am hesitant to do so.

If I pay for it out of pocket, it would cost $602.xx.

Driving with a damaged bumper remains free.

My photo blog.

Comment

YOU should try to get their insurance to pay for it? I thought that's the job of your insurance company... to talk to theirs and work out an arrangement.

that sucks. Especially with your insurance company too.

Comment

The agent is a friend. He recommended that course of action because he thought if the adjuster took a look at it he'd say it was an 'at fault' accident even if they were driving it. All the company would have to do is deny it and then I'd get hit with an 'at fault' claim which would boost my insurance rates. Since I have one from about 7-8 months ago when I had the bumper replaced last summer, as well as the new car, I know he's trying to save me money so I'm not really upset with him. Just the situation.

My photo blog.

Comment

if it's mostly cosmetic damage, you might be able to get away with filling/ sanding/ repainting it instead of replacing the whole part. especially if it's just bumps and scratches. replacing the whole part for cosmetic damage seems like overkill, and i've heard places say it before when it wasn't really needed.
                Siead

Hobby Twitter.

Comment

I don't see any suck either. You were nothing but polite in the emails.

But, I do know the feeling of having to make *multiple* trips to a garage for service. Some of you might remember my now-gone Mazda, and its suspension issues. Since it was a brand-new car, I was a tad annoyed. My problem? The car would make some odd creaking and cracking noises, even over minor bumps. So the car went in, and had various parts replaced under warranty. They'd replace whatever was worn and the car was fine for a bit. Then the problem returned, forcing me to send it back. I don't know about you, but I didn't like the idea of suspension problems leading to chewing up an expensive set of tires!

The dealer, Don Allen (I can mention this one, since they're out of business), didn't seem too interested in fixing it, because it was under warranty. Problem resurfaced after the warranty ran out, causing me to have to rent another car, as well as having to pay for it. Funny thing about that? When the problem came back, I fitted uprated struts...and it went away. Why the dealer didn't do that in the first place, I have no idea!

I was extremely tolerant of things, even with the multiple visits. But the last time, when the shop refused to honor their guarantee, I lost it. I flipped on the service manager, and said that I wouldn't be back.
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth siead_lietrathua View Post
                    if it's mostly cosmetic damage, you might be able to get away with filling/ sanding/ repainting it instead of replacing the whole part. especially if it's just bumps and scratches. replacing the whole part for cosmetic damage seems like overkill, and i've heard places say it before when it wasn't really needed.
                    I probably chose my words poorly. The bumper is physically damaged. Where the vertical parts of the bumper attach to the lower portion of the bumper, it is broken away.

The bumper is still firmly attached to the car, unlike last year when I hit a rock and tore one side loose. That too was physically damaged, but because the clips were broken it wouldn't stay attached. I was hoping they could reattach it somehow, but they said it wouldn't be worth the effort.

My photo blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X