X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They have returned.

It is once again Motorcycle Season.

I don't enjoy the loud roaring devices.

Nor the stench most of them seem to give off around here - I think clouds of black smoke behind the bike must be some sort of status symbol?

However, I was pleasantly surprised that of the 30+ motorcycles I saw this weekend, only 1 did something illegal and stupidly dangerous! Usually it's more like every other one and I can only this ratio holds for the whole season.

Of course, that 1 guy is just begging for a Darwin award, and hopefully no one else dies in the process. He ran a stop sign and slalomed across 2 lanes of traffic to get across the intersection. As in, the traffic was going east/west and he was traveling north.

I could almost find it in myself to feel sorry that he made it, except I wouldn't want some poor hapless other driver to bear the brunt of that.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Anyone that has thick black smoke coming from their bike, car or whatever needs to take it in to get looked at. That is never a good sign.

And morons like that potential Darwin winner give other riders a bad name. Some people should go back to bike school to learn how to ride safely.

I personally love the roar or rumble of a sports bike. Not much of a fan of the chook chasers though (dirt bikes). But dad has been riding them since we were kids and the only sports I watch are the one's that require engines.
      A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Hey, Gerrinson! Didn't realize you were near-ish to me.

“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
          Anyone that has thick black smoke coming from their bike, car or whatever needs to take it in to get looked at. That is never a good sign.

And morons like that potential Darwin winner give other riders a bad name. Some people should go back to bike school to learn how to ride safely.

I personally love the roar or rumble of a sports bike. Not much of a fan of the chook chasers though (dirt bikes). But dad has been riding them since we were kids and the only sports I watch are the one's that require engines.
          Your love of the rumble will die when you have to listen to Harleys day in and day out. I think bikes without baffles should be illegal. I don't give a rat's fart about their 'historic sound' after having to listen to them 24/7 and the assholes who need to stop at residential intersections at night who have to scream at each other to be heard over the noise of their unbaffled mufflers.
          Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

They discontinued it as of the beginning of the year, but for years Harley Davidson catalogues had a code you could enter to get 10% off on your entire order. Nobody ever took advantage of it. The code and details on how to use it took up half a page in the "mufflers" section of the catalogue.

Being serious now - in the early days, HD was known for the quality and efficiency of its mufflers. Ironic, isn't it?
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Where do you live/work that you have the noise 24/7? I agree that would not be fun at all.

The noise I can't stand is the turbo kicking in on some cars. It sounds like they are sneezing. And when people purposely mess with the mufflers. An engine should rumble, not wake up the dead.
              A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
                Where do you live/work that you have the noise 24/7? I agree that would not be fun at all.

The noise I can't stand is the turbo kicking in on some cars. It sounds like they are sneezing. And when people purposely mess with the mufflers. An engine should rumble, not wake up the dead.
                The Black Hills of South Dakota. I work quarter of a block off the one of the main drags in town with a gas station on the corner and my house isn't far away from one of the roads that lead to the interstate. The noise gets worse during the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.
                Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Y'all take care of my spare parts until I need them, hear?
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
                    I don't give a rat's fart about their 'historic sound' after having to listen to them 24/7 and the assholes who need to stop at residential intersections at night who have to scream at each other to be heard over the noise of their unbaffled mufflers.
                    That sounds like the douchebags who ride them here. Trust me, it's not necessary to constantly rev your engine at every traffic light and stop sign. If you have to, you might want to get that looked at. Also, loud pipes do NOT save lives. All they do is annoy the ever living crap out of everyone else in traffic. Sure, people might look in your direct. Trust me, they're not checking you, or your bike out. No, they're going "what a douche, who is only looking for attention." Oh, and if anyone is wondering, I get to hear that crap all day long--9 hours a day, up and down Main St., well over the 25mph posted speed limit.
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

My theory about excessively loud exhausts or car stereos is overcompensation. Inverse relationship between the decibel level and the quantity/quality of certain body parts.
                      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                        My theory about excessively loud exhausts or car stereos is overcompensation. Invercse relationship between the decibel level and the quantity/quality of certain body parts.
                        Who was it that coined the classic CS phrase "rev a little louder, I can't hear how small your dick is"?
                        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Wasn't me, but I agree completely with the sentiment.
                          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

This thread is reminding me a lot about Racer X, the crotch-rocket-riding asshole who used to work at the Wally World next to the wholesale club.
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                              This thread is reminding me a lot about Racer X
                              Should have remembered it was you, J2K! I've used that phrase often enough...
                              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Working...
                              X