This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Golden Phoenix View Post
    I have oreos and a bottle of finest vodka. Who wants some? Got the booze off a mate down the pub.

*squints*

Wait....

Finest Vudka?

Uh oh...
    I see your Finest Vudka and raise you a fifth of Canadian Mist and a fifth of Ancient Age AND a fifth of Cuervo tequila.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
      I can help out! I'll need a shovel, pliers, a length of rubber tubing, three 2L bottles of Coca-Cola, a nail file, a rubber duckie, and some toast.

And no questions.
      Only one question. You're not going to make the poor little rubber duckie watch, are you?
      Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

Quoth aulocksmith View Post
        Only one question. You're not going to make the poor little rubber duckie watch, are you?
        I SAID NO QUESTIONS.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

"Tough guy, eh? Then how about... A YOKO ONO CD!?!?!?!??"
          Experience is knowing how not to get your teeth kicked in - again. -- The Freethinker

"And that... entitles you to no mercy at all, no matter what." -- from Going Postal by Terry Pratchett

Comment

Quoth Thud-n-Blunder View Post
            "Tough guy, eh? Then how about... A YOKO ONO CD!?!?!?!??"
            An entire CD will not be required. Just this.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              An entire CD will not be required. Just this.
              Oh, NOOOOOoooooooooo!

Comment

Interrogation tools? Please.

Jester Stare for most.
                Joe Bastianich Stare for the tough guys.
                Tywin Lanister Stare for the toughest guys.

(I aspire to get my Stare anywhere near the level of the other two....because they are both deadly in that department.)

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                I see your Finest Vudka and raise you a fifth of Canadian Mist and a fifth of Ancient Age AND a fifth of Cuervo tequila.
                Canadian Mist is garbage. I've never heard of Ancient Age. And both are undoubtedly far, far better than Cuervo!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  Canadian Mist is garbage.
                  Fun fact: One of the classic examples cited in "always be sure of the meaning of your product's name in a foreign language before selling it where that language is spoken" is the "Mist Stick" (a hair curling iron). Didn't go over very well in Germany, with the reason given (can't verify - I don't speak German) is that "Mist" is German for "shit".

Am I correct in assuming that you believe Canadian Mist meets truth in labeling regulations when sold in Germany?
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                    Scheisse/Scheiße is what my Opa says means 'shit' in German...but you never know!
                    Well, we have an expert here now, but I'm not gonna ask him to work on his off time....

Comment

• Quoth patiokitty View Post
                      Scheisse/Scheiße is what my Opa says means 'shit' in German...but you never know!
                      Did a quick lookup - apparently "mist" translates as "manure", not "shit". Still, it's a term for excrement. My lookup found this other gem that I hadn't known about:

The German word “Miststück” (pronounced similarly to Mist Stick) is how you might call a woman a bitch or slut.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

• Quoth sms001 View Post
                        Well, we have an expert here now, but I'm not gonna ask him to work on his off time....
                        German translator to the rescue! I heard your cry for help!
                        And just a small disclosure: "ask her to work on her off time"
                        Quoth wolfie View Post
                        Did a quick lookup - apparently "mist" translates as "manure", not "shit".
                        Actually all of you are right. "Mist" in it's original sense means "manure" and it's still used in this context. However, "Mist" is also used in the meaning of "shit" when cursing, for example if you're cursing in front of the kids and don't want to use the big bad s-word (which would be "Scheiße" in German, so yes, we have our bad s-word too ).
                        I first came across Canadian Mist and Irish Mist as one of the well-cited negative-examples for the concept to run target group tests for new product names that wolfie mentioned. Another one usually is the Mitsubishi Pajero (don't know if that was/is sold in the States), as "pajero" is the Spanish swear-word for "a man who is pleasuring himself".
                        Last edited by Words4theWorld; 06-04-2014, 06:09 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo
                        “If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”
                        ― Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

Comment

• Seriously? Pajero means "wanker?"

Such an accurate term for half the city drivers that drive these with no clue about the road rules

Comment

• Quoth TimmyHate View Post
                            Small update (that is hopefully the harbinger of doom for Mr Wheresmycar...

My claims manager sent him an email on Friday with some VERY general outlines of what we will be asking. This interview is going on as I type.
                            Any update as to how things went? I'm guessing not very well on the part of Mr. Wheresmycar!

Comment

• General Motors had a difficult time back in the 1970s selling the Chevy Nova in Mexico. They couldn't figure out why until someone pointed out that Nova (No Va) was Spanish for 'No Go'.

How true is that story? I don't know - I read it in an issue of one of those motorhead magazines (HOT ROD, CAR CRAFT, etc) many, many years ago.

Another story of poorly-translated marketing hails from China, where the old Coca Cola advertising slogan, "Coke Adds Life", translated badly into a particular dialect as 'Coke brings back your dead ancestors", or something to that effect.

No idea how true THAT one is, either. Forget where I heard it.

Another example of poor naming, again from General Motors. GM had developed their first electric car, named the EV-1, and was test-marketing it. It was pricey and limited, and eventually all the leased cars (none were actually SOLD) were recalled and scrapped, but had the project been successful and the car brought to general market, the name GM was planning for the car was the IMPACT.

Some manufacturers don't realize how creative people are with the pronunciation of things. I've seen classified ads in the paper for the Isuzu Ass-Ender (Ascender), the Ford MavWreck (Maverick), and the Ford Grenade (Granada).
                              Last edited by ADeMartino; 06-05-2014, 02:31 AM.

Comment

• Quoth ADeMartino View Post
                                How true is that story? I don't know
                                One answer to that question is at http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

Comment

Working...
                                X