Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I can determine for myself what I should eat.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I can determine for myself what I should eat.

I'm especially annoyed that another retail person was my SC. We were talking about the good app deals when she mentioned the bread she was buying was on sale. I said, "Oh, I didn't know about that one because I only ever buy the light bread." She instantly kind of jumped on me with "That's not good for you." Thinking she heard me say white instead of light,--since it's pretty universally accepted that white flour isn't the best choice--I clarified that I'd said light bread (you know, the lower calorie kind that has more fiber). She repeated her judgement on it with "Look at the ingredients."

Uh, ok; I have and I have no problem with them. She doesn't even know what brand I buy since I didn't state it, actually, so she doesn't know what's in it anyway. I told her I have to watch my carbohydrate levels and that whole grain stuff makes my glucose go all wonky (in a large enough amount--looking at YOU, wide round loaf, which she was buying). Besides, she's allowed to think anything natural is good, but I don't necessarily agree. (Arsenic is natural.) And that's fine as long as she doesn't make some kind of pronouncement about what I should put in my face.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

So is

Quoth Food Lady View Post
    Besides, she's allowed to think anything natural is good, but I don't necessarily agree. (Arsenic is natural.) And that's fine as long as she doesn't make some kind of pronouncement about what I should put in my face.
    My list includes:

Poison Ivy. All natural.

Hemlock, natural.

Lead, natural.

Botulism poisoning, also natural.

and the list can go on, just because some thing is natural does not mean safe.

In Jamaica every year one or two tourist die because they get one of the foodstuffs that must be ripen/processed before it can be eaten. But try eating the all natural product.

Cassava: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassava

Ackee: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackee

Comment

Yeah, people like that can be frustrating. :/

I'm not exactly small, and I drink diet soda due to a mild corn allergy. Being informed that diet soda is worse for me than regular is a fairly common occurrence.

This light bread sounds interesting, might look into it.

Oh, and I've never gotten to say this, but your signature is hilariously and depressingly true.

Edit:

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
      My list includes:

Hemlock, natural.

Oh god yeah, I had to remove that at my old job. Frikking tons of it, had on so many gloves, washed so many times... Stuff is freakishly toxic, can make other nearby plants poisonous by proxy apparently. And it is NOT a pretty or painless death. Only plant I've ever seen that genuinely scares me.

Creepily enough, its from the same family of plants as carrots, which apparently used to also be poisonous, and certain types of wild carrots still are. Not sure which, not a botanist, previous boss was.
      Last edited by Tee; 11-04-2015, 12:04 AM. Reason: more stuffs
      I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
      In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

Hemlock, natural.
        Endorsed by Socrates himself.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Tee View Post
          Creepily enough, [hemlock's] from the same family of plants as carrots, which apparently used to also be poisonous, and certain types of wild carrots still are. Not sure which, not a botanist, previous boss was.
          And potatoes and tomatoes are both related to nightshade. There's a reason you shouldn't eat the greens. Eggplant, tomatillo, cape gooseberries, chili peppers, and bell peppers are also all nightshades, apparently.
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Well

Quoth Tee View Post
            Oh god yeah, I had to remove that at my old job. Frikking tons of it, had on so many gloves, washed so many times... Stuff is freakishly toxic, can make other nearby plants poisonous by proxy apparently. And it is NOT a pretty or painless death. Only plant I've ever seen that genuinely scares me.

Creepily enough, its from the same family of plants as carrots, which apparently used to also be poisonous, and certain types of wild carrots still are. Not sure which, not a botanist, previous boss was.
            I understand that Hog-weed is very bad to handle too, and grows fast. Again an all natural plant.

Comment

I understand that Hog-weed is very bad to handle too, and grows fast. Again an all natural plant.
              We've had major problems with hogweed over here this year, with multiple reports in the national press of people being burned chemically by the sap when improperly handling it to try & clear garden infestations.
              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                "That's not good for you."

"That's funny - I don't remember asking you for dietary advice."

Comment

At MIL's house along the fenceline they have a ton of poison ivy. They've tried to get rid of it for decades.

They even tried burning it once. >.<
                  https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                    At MIL's house along the fenceline they have a ton of poison ivy. They've tried to get rid of it for decades.

I guess she's itching to get rid of it. I heard that goats can eat poison ivy without ill-effect. Maybe she could hire a herd of goats.
                    This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post

Worst way to get rid of poison ivy. Guess what's in that smoke that gets breathed in? The oils from the poison ivy.

Speaking of poison ivy - Cashews are in the same family as it. My husband can't touch them anymore because he gets a reaction.

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post

I was told by a previous boss, but apparently in certain parts of California Native Americans used to burn sections of the forest, and burn Poison Oak in the process. The smoke would actually, over time, build up their resistance to the point of effective immunity.

I doubt it works on Poison Ivy though. XD
                        I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
                        In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                          Endorsed by Socrates himself.
                          ...And his words were remembered for his students for centuries thereafter.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Tee View Post
                            I was told by a previous boss, but apparently in certain parts of California Native Americans used to burn sections of the forest, and burn Poison Oak in the process. The smoke would actually, over time, build up their resistance to the point of effective immunity.

I doubt it works on Poison Ivy though. XD
                            I am one of the exceptionally rare people who is immune to poison ivy I swear, Rob can look at a picture of it online and have an outbreak...
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Tee View Post
                              I'm not exactly small, and I drink diet soda due to a mild corn allergy. Being informed that diet soda is worse for me than regular is a fairly common occurrence.
                              I assume that the "avoid regular soda due to corn allergy" is due to the HFCS used as a sweetener. Bit of trivia: "Kosher for Passover" soda does NOT use HFCS. My understanding is that since HFCS is derived from grain, it has to follow the rules for grain products. In everyday Kosher, that means it must be under rabbinical supervision from milling of the raw grain to the final processing of the food product. The "heavy duty" Passover Kosher requires it to be under rabbinical supervision from harvest of the raw grain to the final processing of the food product.

There isn't a large enough market for "Kosher for Passover" HFCS (cheaper to use non-grain sweeteners than to segregate a production line), but there's the possibility that economics could change that. Still, for now, "Kosher for Passover" soda should be safe.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X