Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel a bit ill when I see all the striped, drapey jersey things coming back in fashion that look so much like my "Seventeen" magazine articles, circa 1982. I'm old enough to see fads coming back around. Not to mention culottes, or what we used to call gaucho pants.
    He loves the world...except for all the people.
    --Men at Work

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      Jelly bracelets.
      I like jelly bracelets. I'm such a dork.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I probably would have responded to the kid with "Actually, young man, I am what is called a "crackah" (with accompanying quote motion fingers). "

I'm sorry, but I really can't take that word seriously. I grew up in a really white town, and didn't hear that word until after I started hanging out with some kids from the nearest city. I am more likely to laugh at the person trying to insult me then anything else. It's just a silly word to pick as a derogatory name!
        Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
        Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
        The Office

Comment

i can't take either type seriously, not the "c's" or the gangsta's and we get more than enough of both.

come into my store acting stupid and you get treated stupid, period. want respect? act respectable, simple dicotomy, otherwise, order, pick up the order and get the hell out.

save our seats for the regular, normal customers and take your 'kewl act' elsewhere.
          look! it's ghengis khan!
          Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Sharsarannon View Post
            See, occasionally karma gives back to us-
            in my area, or in the worst parts of our county, you do not wear certain colors or do certain things with your hands, because you will be shot.
            hate to say it but it always comes off as interesting and slightly amusing in a sick sick way when some gangbanger "chav" kid gets shot and put in the hospital because a REAL gang member thought he was a rival.
            Okay.... What do I NOT wear, what can I wear? Because no way do I want to be a statistic.

Comment

Quoth Tria View Post
              Okay.... What do I NOT wear, what can I wear? Because no way do I want to be a statistic.
              Depends on where you are. In blood territory, don't where blue. In cryp territory, don't wear red. Honestly, those have got to be some of the most stupidly common colors to choose as your own. But their gangs, so I'm not surprised they couldn't manage to think past the primaries.

In our area, it seems the thing to wear is a white shirt with stripes. Again, stupidly common, but not as bad as the whole red/blue thing.

Quoth Jester View Post
              I submit to you the following exhibits as evidence:

(To their credit, I did groove on all the girls wearing bustiers and such. )

Having recently attended an adult "80's Prom" and being reminded about many of these, I have to say that overly baggy pants and shorts? Not nearly as stupid as what passed for hip fashion in the eighties.

Jester, Class of '88
              What, from your list, I have seen in the last couple of months:

Big hair. - Hair is getting big again. Right now it's mostly just affros, but I've been seeing more of the poofy hair thing and it's getting poofier.
              Banana clips. These things never went away.
              Leg warmers. Good riddance. Although there is a bit of a trend of wearing arm warmers going on.
              Sweatshirts with the sleeves and collars cut out. Just an update on an older fashion, and also making a comeback. But now we've also got these mini-sweaters that have long sleeves and hoods, but don't close in the front and only come down to just under the cest.
              Members only jackets. Same thing, only the names have changed.
              Garish colors. Bright orange, green, and particularly pink are currently popular. And in addition, now we get lots of fake diamonds and metallic stuff. One word: grillz.
              Jelly bracelets. (Making a comeback lately, too.) They've been back for a while. And we've got jelly shoes to go with.
              Wearing collars up. That was another fashion filched from a past era.
              Jogging suits. I don't know about suits, but wearing sweat pants out as everyday wear is still popular. But even worse is that going out in pajama bottoms is popular, now. That and women wearing men's boxers as if they were actual shorts.
              Messages/designs shaved into heads. I'm not sure that ever went out of fashion.
              Madonna and Cyndi Lauper as fashion plates. And all the fashions they spawned. That never changes. It's just a matter of who's popular this second. Right now we've got airheads like Paris and Brittney. If they had any daring at all, we'd be witnessing more wacky fashions, but they're both about a exciting as unsalted cra-... er, those things you eat with soup.

I still think that guys running around in three pairs of boxers, all with visible waistbands at different levels, and a pair of pants about 5 times their size with the waistband of that being just above the knees, is about as stupid a fashion as you can possibly get.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Andara,

I would have to disagree with you on much of what you said. I have not seen much of that stuff, other than jelly bracelets, coming back into style much. Not saying it isn't going on, but if it is so under the radar that I haven't seen it at all yet, I am guessing it is not yet making that big of a comeback, or else the comeback isn't into high gear yet.

As for pajama pants....well, the pajama pants that Joe Boxer and others are making right now are so damn comfortable, I don't blame people for wearing them out and about. Hell, I do so myself at times. But not, I repeat NOT when I am trying to make a fashion statement. They are just damn comfortable.

And when was the last time you saw designs or messages shaved into hairdos? Good lord, that was a fad that wasn't even around that long to begin with.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  And when was the last time you saw designs or messages shaved into hairdos? Good lord, that was a fad that wasn't even around that long to begin with.
                  Saturday night. Jens Pulver just can't let mullet with the designs go, but as far as I am aware, he has been doing it since the 80's, so I don't think he counts as far as comebacks go.
                  The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

The only time I saw a design shaved into somebody's head was 12 years ago and I can't remember what it was. Again, a lot of fashion tends to be pretty silly and pointless.
                    The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

I had a white hobo call me "honky" once. I'm white too. WTF??
                      The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        Actually, it's fairly popular in my area, as is having hair weaves done so that the spaces make patterns. I met a guy the other day whose entire head was shaved to make a chinese dragon pattern, and everyone was admiring it.
                        It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          Andara,

I would have to disagree with you on much of what you said. I have not seen much of that stuff, other than jelly bracelets, coming back into style much. Not saying it isn't going on, but if it is so under the radar that I haven't seen it at all yet, I am guessing it is not yet making that big of a comeback, or else the comeback isn't into high gear yet.
                          I've seen all of that mostly just riding the bus to and from work every day. Add in a couple of trips to the local malls, and you can spot it all in just a day or so.

Quoth Jester View Post
                          The last time? Two weeks ago on the bus. The guy had a jaggy stripe pattern shaved in. I've seen a few others over the last couple of months, too, including one guy that had a name shaved onto his head.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Rubystars View Post
                            I told a couple of them "Well, you come in here dressed like a criminal, and I'm supposed to think you're just in here innocently?
                            How does one dress like a criminal??? I agree that first impressions are everything, but unless someone is acting suspicious, how can someone dress like a criminal?

Comment

Quoth kibbles View Post
                              How does one dress like a criminal???
                              Bright orange jumpsuit?
                              Black and white vertical stripes? Plus the doofy looking pillbox hat...
                              *shakes her finger* Any series of numbers tattooed to the breast pocket?
                              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth kibbles View Post
                                How does one dress like a criminal??? I agree that first impressions are everything, but unless someone is acting suspicious, how can someone dress like a criminal?
                                Conservative blue suit. Power tie. American flag lapel pin.

Just like all the other criminals in political office or running corporations.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                                Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                                X